Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 710 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 845 reviews
on November 23, 2013
Boxed set 1-23
This review is regarding the poor printing quality of the books that are currently being sold.

Message to Amazon:I just ordered the presentation 23-box set and several individual books. The books are all printed in China. The quality of the printing is so poorly done that I am returning $200 worth of books. I am writing to ask if this is the new standard of publishing for Beatrix Potter books. I am working on a graduate paper and have purchased a large number of books written by Judy Taylor, Margaret Lane, and Leslie Linder--all experts in the work of Beatrix Potter. I purchased the complete set of books and individual ones so that I can compare the different editions with the original privately edition printed in 1901, the first Frederick Warne & Co. published edition in 1902, the centenary edition published in 2002, and the 110th edition published in 2012. There is a huge difference in the printing quality in paper texture and color quality with the recent new editions being sold by Amazon. The earlier new printings Amazon sold have an almost satin quality to them. The later ones have a rough almost grainy texture. The printing on all the recent editions appears as if they were printed on machines with low toner. The text and picture colors appear faded as if printed by amateurs. The quality is unbelievably poor!

Is there a quality control on these books? Is anyone checking to make sure that what is being sent to customers is a standard that you approve of? From all my research on Beatrix Potter, I understand she wanted to have the books printed as cheaply as possible to be able to reach as many children as possible, but 111 years later, we should expect a higher quality than what is being published opposed to even one year ago. Children and adults deserve a much better quality that is being produced at this time in China.

February 28, 1938, Beatrix Potter gave advice to Josephine and Delmar Banner regarding publication of their artwork. Rather than to have their work reproduced badly, she advised them to redesign the pages to allow for current publishing practices because, "Children deserve the best" (Letters 387).

Can you assure me that the quality of the books you sell are good quality and not these poorly printed editions?

Can someone follow-up with me to see what is being done about the poor quality of these books being sold on Amazon.com? Read the reviews and you will see this is a huge problem. I am a loyal Amazon customer. You can tell by my order history. You always stand behind the quality of your merchandise. I hope you will investigate and require answers from the vendors you are purchasing these books from. If this a problem with Penguin publishers in UK, they need to step up and implement a review of their quality control practices. I have also emailed Penguin Publishers in UK.
2525 comments| 308 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2017
I've enjoyed my books being put in the correct published sequence. I was also very excited about the last 4 that I never realized existed before. I will always charish these.
on March 8, 2016
I am reading this cover to cover with great enjoyment.Reading a few stories I knew only by the titles..great experience, beautifully illustrated. Very informative introductions to each story, how it came to be written and to whom it was dedicated and why. .A Treasure which will be passed on to my daughter, a teacher and granddaughter who is about to go to college to be a teacher and both are great readers. must be their English heritage!
on March 17, 2014
I bought two books, one for our 5 year old grandson, and one for me to read and keep for now since I've only read Peter Rabbit. Our 1 1/2 year old granddaughter will get the second book when she's older and can appreciate it. I am looking forward to reading all the stories myself and looking at all the wonderful illustrations. The book is a bit heavy to give a very young child. Our grandson loves books and is learning to read on his own. I think he will enjoy this 'tome'. I say 'tome' because it is heavy and thick for littlier hands. This is great for the young reader to enjoy. I am hoping that our grandson appreciates the complete tales and will keep it to give to his children to read and love. I plan to tell him and his parents my plan for the books and collectible Peters so the book will be kept as a keepsake. That's why I got 2 books, I wanted each grandchild to have their own copy to enjoy and pass down to their children. If you are looking for a complete set of stories for small hands or is easier to read to a child you are holding in your lap this book may be a bit too heavy and big to do both comfortably.
on March 16, 2017
Absolutely gorgeous hard-bound book with the original illustrations. A wonderful addition to any collection.
on April 18, 2017
The children we purchased the library for loved the collection of "funny" stories.
on July 7, 2013
A perfect gift to celebrate the arrival of a newborn, or the reaching of an early birthday, this collection is likewise appropriate for children as old as 7 or 8 who will want to read and reread the 23 titles on their own. There is a wealth of literary richness contained within the "little books": an incomparable artist, Beatrix Potter was likewise a gifted storyteller. To be read aloud (again and again); to be looked at and pored over; to be given special space on a bookshelf; to be treasured in memory for a lifetime, this series of books for young children (and the caring adults in their lives) is without equal.
"Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were---Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail and Peter..." So begins the familiar first of the 23 volumes, each of which is conveniently stored here within an attractive, sturdy box.
on October 2, 2013
Growing up my mom used to read these to my sister and I and now my sister will be a mom soon I decided she needed a copy too since I wasn't parting with mine. Mine is the soft cover version but i think the hard cover is much nicer and durable. My sister was really happy to recieve this book and can't wait to share the stories with her child when it is born.
on October 8, 2015
This edition was well-formatted, allowing me to enlarge and enjoy the original illustrations. I must admit that not all the stories live up to one's expectations, especially after the resounding success of Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny, but it's lovely to have a complete set.

One of my new favorite short stories involves a hedgehog. How often does anyone hear a statement like that?

Good stuff.
on January 8, 2015
This is a beautiful book! I love books and have been stocking my newborn's library. I ordered this book and it is great! It is an incredibly beautifully illustrated hardback book with a dust jacket and a cardboard sleeve. I did not know that Beatrix Potter drew her own illustrations and I love that this book gives some history and background of each of her stories. Recommend very highly.