World of Reading Star Wars Boxed Set: Level 1 (World of Reading: Level 1) Paperback – Illustrated, October 25, 2016
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
- Grade Level : 1 - 3
- Item Weight : 1.25 pounds
- Paperback : 192 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1484780221
- ISBN-13 : 978-1484780220
- Product Dimensions : 6.13 x 1 x 9.5 inches
- Publisher : Disney Lucasfilm Press; Illustrated Edition (October 25, 2016)
- Reading level : 6 - 8 years
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: #2,966 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
In this specific set, there are three books from the classic trilogy:
- Escape from Darth Vader: How C-3PO and R2-D2 escape with the Death Star plans (from Episode IV, a New Hope)
- AT-AT Attack!: The Empire's attack to the Rebel base in Hoth (from Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back)
- Ewoks Join the Fight: Landing on Endor, meeting the Ewoks, fighting the storm troopers (from Episode VI, The Return of the Jedi)
Then, there are another three books from the latest movie, Episode VII, The Force Awakens:
- Finn & Poe Team Up!: Poe getting captures, Finn releasing him, escaping together
- Chaos at the Castle: Arriving at Maz's castle, the battle, Leia's appearance
- BB-8 Finds a Friend: Poe giving BB-8 a secret message, BB-8 meeting and befriending Rey
The books have very nice pictures, with all the characters drawn in a cute way without losing their original personality. It has some impressive scenes like the AT-AT drawing, and also appearance of key characters that my son loves, like Darth Vader and Kylo Ren (the dark side is strong with my little one, I guess).
The books have 2-4 sentences per page, simple enough for him to read. They repeat words multiple times, which is good so it help him better understand the story. I have uploaded a couple of samples so you can get an idea.
Overall, this is a fantastic set of books, and I have already pre-ordered the Level 2 set. If your child is into reading and likes Star Wars, you should be ordering this RIGHT NOW!
World of Reading did a good job using concise subplots/events to make self-contained stories, and the vocabulary is appropriate for the reading level. The stories are easier to follow if you know the movies, but my kiddo has not seen any of the movies yet and still finds them compelling.
Top reviews from other countries
The reason for my low rating is the fact that the story from the prequels is entirely ignored in these sets. They cover the original trilogy and the sequels. I understand the prequels are nowhere near as loved as the originals, but compared to the new trilogy, they are much better (in terms of story continuity and theme), so to ignore them entirely seems shortsighted. I couldn't rate this any higher because they essentially have Act II and Act III (which may as well be an entirely different series in terms of series and character continuity) but not the first act of the overarching story. My daughter, being only 6, is a big fan of Anakin Skywalker and was upset he wasn't in these books.