Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 29, 2013
First, I would like to note that I am an on again off again kind of WoW player. When I pick it up again I might play for a week or maybe a month then I will cancel and do it again later. So my review is not from a hardcore player.

I am not going to give some long blown out review about the game since there are plenty of reviews of that nature on Amazon for this game and its expansions.

One reason I find this hard to review is because this expansion added a lot of content. However "most" of that content is available to all WoW players regardless if they have this expansion or not.
A couple of the more tangible things that do come only with purchase are the two new races and access to the higher level cap.

What everyone got was the real meat though. The entire 1 to 60 level zones were reworked with better quests, quest lines and story. The entire game got a graphical overhaul including the water.

I really enjoyed the new races though I ended up not playing them past their starter stuff.

The Collectors Edition was really nice just like all the other versions were. I never opened the art book but it looks to be of high quality.
I don't play the card game but I did open them up to get the loot card out. I am currently using the mouse pad and as far as it is concerned its pretty standard fare and works as it should.

Also, you would think that people would know where the pet was from but I kept getting asked where I got it from. I am sure most players do know its from the CE but there are plenty that go "ooh whats that from".

I enjoy WoW every now and then, I buy all the expansions and for me the end game is more like work and less like fun. I give this expansion and the game as a whole 4 stars because I do have fun when I play it and I can't really knock it down for things that I find to be shortcomings because they aren't my kind of thing, when to other people it is just what they want and they love it.
on September 16, 2012
I came back to WoW this summer, I picked up Cata on sale and began playing through it to get myself ready for MoP. Hopefully MoP will take all the criticisms that have been put out there about this expansion to heart. To me, it feels as if they took every thing wrong with vanilla (boring quests, needless grinding, tons of random number generation pain) and put it with a watered down Wotlk veneer.

I loved Wrath, I thought it really took the game into a good direction. And Cata (having only played during the final patches) almost turned it on it's head. My biggest complaints are the lackluster quests and rehashed "new" battlegrounds, phasing bugs that are still present years after release and terribly balanced PvP. Many people complain that WoW's become too easy, I think what they mean is it's constantly getting dumbed down.

For instance, most quests are on long chains now. And in certain zones, you get 1 or 2 quests at a time (even though your quest log can still hold 25) in the entire zone, and must complete those before you get any more. This whole process feels like you're being led by the nose (instead of playing an open world online game), and for that experience (one I avoid like the plague) I could pop in any console rpg from the 90's.

What I think also needs to be mentioned is the "new" battlegrounds (pvp areas) are just 2 old battlegrounds but on different maps. In my opinion, the new maps are smaller, simpler, and less fun than their classic versions. The other downside to this, if you dislike either (or both) of the game types, well too bad, now you have twice as much of a chance to participate in them.

My Advice? I still enjoy WoW, and Cata wasn't all bad. Buy it cheap and level through it to get to MoP (which hopefully is an improvement).
2 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 20, 2012
Funny how Deathwing was to be the bringer of cataclysm and destruction to Azeroth. He really did succeed!

No, he didn't do this by bringing destruction to the land... he actually made the world more pretty, giving every town a nice sprinkle of extreme home makeover! Stormwind never looked so pretty what with a spruced up look, and he even removed painful eyesores that served no purpose like the garden district! If I ever need landscaping or design work to pretty up my home or land I would certainly want to call big old scary Deathwing to use his "destructive" talents to improve everything!

Who would have thunk the big meany had such a soft heart to even make travel more convenient for lowbies, by placing a bajillion flight masters everywhere, so you don't even have to walk from quest to quest anymore! While he was at it, he made sure to make quests MUCH eaiser, because we all know they were just way too hard before..... and he even made them easier to find and progress through by removing any need to adventure or sandbox.! Hurray!

All hail Deathwing, the beginning of the end of Warcraft.

yeah..... I ABSOLUTELY HATE!!!!! what they have done to the 1-60 zones and quests.

Ok to be fair, I think WoW has been going into a bad new direction ever since Lich King. I hate how easy everything is now, and how shallow the game has become. Everything is done for you now, I feel like my bum is being powdered for me as I play. I am STARVING for challenge, but the only place you can find that still is in pvp and raiding.

Dungeon finder has turned the game into the most impersonal mmo experience I've ever seen, where nobody cares about you, your name, your role, your feelings, or even your opinion. Yer just a number now, and every heroic dungeon is an insta win now everything has been care-beared to death and back.

*shakes old cane* back in my days, you had to earn the right to even set foot into heroics..... You had to earn the friends and relationships you needed to go into them, or search long and hard to pug into them.... So when you finally did get in... it mattered...
When you finally got an epic item it mattered.

Now heroics are just... this chore thing.... the new daily I guess. How utterly dreadful.

Cataclysm further expanded on dungeon finder to now include raid finder.... how wonderful. Is nothing in this game sacred anymore? Is everything just a cheesy daily now where you are guaranteed to win?
I miss Burning Crusade. I miss earning everything I had even though it wasn't much, I miss the hard work that made me appreciate the small things and the many friends. I didn't have to raid to love the game, but even the raiding was wonderful. Karazhan will never be outdone, that was good old fashioned fun.

Since Lich King, either you love to raid or you don't play WoW is my other complaint. Each expansion has become more about the raiding being the extensive end game.... so you better like raiding, which I do, but I don't like that it's the only way to really progress your character.

The masses still love WoW, and I don't think of people being ridiculous for that. To each his own, if you love WoW, congrats and keep on playing. But to me, Cata turned an already care-beared game into something completely irrelevant to me, and ho-hum uninteresting. Nothing was special anymore and nothing mattered.

It's so ironic that everyone talked about how care-beared the game was becoming.... yet what was the next expansion? An expansion about cuddly panda bears...... \sigh \quit
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on March 14, 2017
Cata, great expansion, good shipping and no NC omplaints.
on August 31, 2017
I will always love way and it will forever be one of the games I have enjoyed most. The reason I only give 4 stars is because I got tired of doing Dragonsoul for 2 years!!!
on January 22, 2014
I was a beta tester for WoW years ago. I have played the initial release as well as the expansions up to this one. While Burning Crusade screwed things up, Lich King brought some fun back, but this expansion sucks. The entire world you knew has been destroyed and many of my favorite places are gone. Not only that, but new players will now be unable to experience the joy that the original game offered. In fact, a player coming from the original three games would probably be a tad lost as far as the story goes.

On top of that there is a further gap in power versus player level that just does not interest me. I will not be purchasing the next expansion.
on December 20, 2012
I've bought Collector's Editions before.

Why? Because I do buy into the hype-- sometimes.

I had just started playing WoW, and bought everything at once. The battlechest and this CE.

With the exception of the Cataclysm KEY, which you need, the most use I got out of this was the mousepad. However, eventually the entire graphic came off of the mousepad, which I had to re-glue onto the mousepad. It is now in one of my desk drawers.

Never watched the DVD, and got tired of the music in-game which I muted shortly after hours of playing, and only listened to the CD while I was installing.

Pass and get the regular edition.

Especially if you plan to play a Hunter. You don't need the in-game free pet if you plan on rolling a hunter class character!
on November 19, 2013
I'm surprised I never wrote a review for this.

Well, short and simple.

I'm a vanilla player, with full tier 0.5 feralheart xmog. I also have the original Zulian Tiger. This is Commack from Twisting Nether.

Cata was a decent expansion but nothing beats Vanilla and BC. I stopped playing a few patches into MOP because I moved back to NY and my computer is in FL in storage until I can get down there and move the rest of my stuff up.

WoW overall is a cool game, but you really need to put a lot of dedication into it to have what I have including gold cap which I think now is 1 gold under a million per character.
on August 28, 2017
great game
on November 17, 2017
ty
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.