Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Fergie PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 226 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 249 reviews
on September 6, 2016
This is a good book and, to be honest, a surprising one.

***SPOILERS***
I always thought Jaina was like a rock of virtue, and seeing her fall was shocking. The last half of the novel was truly absorbing.

The first half, however, moved rather slowly. Seeing these characters sitting around eating pastries and making jokes seems anathema to the dramatic story Warcraft has to offer, and I didn't quite care for it. Indeed, I understand that this was meant to increase the drama surrounding the death of the gnome and the destruction of Theramore, but it was a little excessive.

As always, I recommend this Warcraft book because it was written by Christie Golden, who never fails to deliver.
on June 25, 2016
I purchased this book as something to read while on vacation. It served its purpose as being entertaining and at times I didnt want to put it down. The battles are captivating and played out vividly in my mind as I worked my way through chapter after chapter.
However, to me, the book spent a bit too much time exploring the emotional depths of the characters and creating love in unexpected places. There was certainly room for those things but they seemed to take over the story line, even outweighing many of the definitive battles that the story was building up to.
Also, the ending seemed a bit of a let down. There was all of this build up, all of this anticipation, and then the book just wrapped up leaving far too many things unfinished. It felt like this book should have only been "part 1" of a two book series. But to my knowledge...there is no "part 2" book. So, while the book overall was very good and I have been left hungry for more, I am also dissatisfied and feeling as if I just spent a whole lot of time reading a very incomplete story.
Even so, it is still an entertaining and enjoyable book and while it may not be the best warcraft novel out there, it is still worth reading on a rainy day.
on May 5, 2017
Every person has different likes and dislikes but for me Christie Golden is the writer I prefer for World of Warcraft lore. She keeps a great line in the development of the characters and the story creating heroes and villians with more than just the clang clang of the weapons and roar of testosterone. With mystery, a tiny touch of romance here and there, some humor and just enough details of the environment that the reader can fill in the blanks and see the story in their mind. Easy to follow the story yet complex. I truly enjoyed the reading.
on September 16, 2017
This book was quite interesting and I believe the events in the book led up to Lady Jaina becoming what she is today, so I believe anyone who might be curious as to what happened to the once Theramore ruler to send her off the deep end should definitely get their hands on this book, Christie Golden is a brilliant writer and I love her warcraft novels that she writes
on September 1, 2016
This book actually fills the plot gap in the in-game scenario named "Theramore's Fall". It explores the feelings Jaina felt when Theramore was ruined.

However, it's a bit awkward for Jaina to transform into a warmongering woman hot with bloodlust, even after the events occurred in the book. It just doesn't suit her and the book could not made it right either. There is a slow buildup for the events to come, but when they all happen it just does not satisfy the reader to justify Jaina's transformation (especially the things she said to Thrall).

It's a must read to fill in the blanks in WoW lore, but the story handling is not satisfactory and overall plotline is a bit shallow in my opinion.
on April 30, 2015
Spoilers below:
I enjoyed this book, as Jaina is perhaps my favorite character in the Warcraft universe. That she would have an immediate, violent reaction to the destruction of Theramore is expected, and even welcomed from my perspective.

However, the lengths to which she goes are rather far-fetched, and the quick conclusion to her behavior, wrapped up with a "you're suddenly the Archmage of the Kirin Tor" bow feels equally silly.

I would have preferred that the author take a longer, more nuanced approach to telling the story of her fury, rather than choosing the "tries to commit genocide but is soon talked down by Green Jesus and her new crush" easy way out.

There are many Warcraft fans who are quite angry at this character now, but I don't think the blame rests with her. I think it's her writers who have failed them.
on August 29, 2013
First of all, let me say that I am a proud World of Warcraft player, but more than that, I am an avid reader and writer/editor. This combination of qualities has led me to read eight or ten novels set in the Warcraft universe over the last few years. Most of these were penned by one of two writers: Richard Knaak and Christie Golden.

Of these, I find Golden's novels to be far superior; her characterizations have a depth that makes the reader care deeply about the fate of the central characters.

In "Tides Of War," the setting is one that will be familiar to anyone who has played World of Warcraft in the last year or two: Horde Warchief Thrall has stepped down from his leadership post, appointing Garrosh Hellscream in his stead, and withdrawn from any active role in the operations of the Horde. (Where he has gone and what he is up to is covered in Golden's previous book, Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects.)

Unfortunately, Thrall's decision to appoint Garrosh as his successor has proven to be a huge error; Garrosh is an overbearing, loutish brute, prone to violent outbursts, self-aggrandizment and grand visions of conquest, with very little regard for the well-being of anyone but himself and his own glory, even the well-being of his own people, the Orcs.

The ultimate abomination comes when Garrosh makes the decision to use a terrible weapon in the Horde's conflict with the Alliance. I found myself yelling out loud at the characters, horrified by what was about to happen.

If you're a WoW player, this will help you to understand recent in-game events with perfect clarity.
on October 11, 2013
This is the first World of Warcraft book I have ever purchased and I'm glad it was this one that has suckered me in to want to purchase the others. Christie weaves a well woven tale that kept me hooked until I read the last word on the last page. I mean, seriously, I devoured it in a day because I could not walk away and leave it for any length of time it was that good.The last book that had that great of a hold on me was years ago.

Why you may ask? Well, her exposition of Jaina was believable, emotionally engaging, and explains why in-game she acts like a blood maddened watch wher. The other characters are tightly woven in and out through Jaina's narrative showing their connections to her and how they came to be in her life. The introduction of Kalecogos gives me hope that perhaps Jaina will not end up like Arthas but he is only a dragon, albeit a wise one; unfortunately madness and wisdom don't always mix well enough to dilute or purge the poison. But the story is left open ended on this, which is fine... gives Blizz and Golden options for a continuation of their story,

Bottom line, a book that can keep me captive for hours until I come to the end of the book is well worth the price whether you buy it for your Kindle (as I did) or a hard copy to hold in your hands...at least in my opinion. :)
on June 24, 2013
This is so far the most powerful Warcraft book I have read and the only one I care to write a review. I knew the story before reading th book. But I didn't have a clear idea of what impact the events had on Jaina. The author did a very good job to expand the story line and vividly showed readers what a stunning change Garrosh had made to Jaina, which is reflected heavily in Jaina's words. The most powerful part of the book is the conversation between Jaina and Thrall on Fray Island, especially if you have known what Jaina was like and compare this the conversation to the one they had before Garrosh's invasion:

“People?” Jaina echoed. “I can’t even call them that anymore. They’re not people. They’re monsters. And so are you! My father was right— it took an entire city of people slaughtered before I could see it. I was blind to what the orcs were, because of you. You tricked me into believing that there could be peace, that the orcs weren’t bloodthirsty animals. But you lied. This is war, Thrall, and war hurts. War is ugly. But you started it! Your Horde obliterated Theramore and is now blockading the Alliance cities in Kalimdor. Whole populations are being held hostage, are being attacked. Well, as we stand here, Varian is leading the fight to break that blockade. And when I’ve completed my task, I’ll help him. And then we’ll see who holds whom hostage! But first— I destroy the city named for Orgrim Doomhammer, in the land named for your father!”
on March 18, 2014
The Warcraft universe has so much lore that books are almost a requirement to get all the details, even if it does seem like a money-making-only venture. I like Christie Golden's works (Arthas was fantastic), but this one didn't grab me the same way as her others.

I can understand (well, imagine at least) that the horrors of war are truly horrors. And I've been fortunate to avoid experiencing them. But (SPOILER ALERT)... Jaina's 'transformation' to her rage-filled, vengeful persona didn't feel like it was natural in this setting. I can see what she was shooting for, but the language didn't pull me into her rage as I'd hoped. And as such, this book felt a little more forced to me.

That said, I still enjoyed it, and it's a great way to add to the lore in the game. I'm looking forward to "War Crimes" also by Golden in 2014. I think from what I've read about it that it'll be a dark tale that touches on many painful realities of war.