Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 196 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 256 reviews
on April 23, 2015
it arrived on time and in good shape. it is the story of world war i and world war ii. it sees them as really one continuous war. there are a few mistakes in it such as when hitler is shown firing at the policemen after the putsch. this did not happen. he was on the ground. other than those few mistakes, it is very good and fascinating. i enjoyed it immensely. it shows roosevelt, churchill, stalin, hitler, patton and macarthur as the main figures. it would please patton to be considered the equal of the first four.
on July 20, 2015
I purchased this 2 disc set through Amazon to learn more about both WWI & WWII. After watching it I was so impressed that I shared it with my husband as well as our 14 and 15 year old granddaughters. They LOVED it. They used that information to better understand our history. One of my granddaughters went back East to the Holocaust Museum and she said it was so helpful to have a better understanding. She also went to Universal in California and said they had a setting that was just like Shindler's List. She was so grateful to know about US history and apply that knowledge to her experiences.
on August 15, 2015
Although there are some understandable critiques of the depiction, I hold this as being my absolute favorite on screen documentary/depiction of WWII. WWII is my absolute favorite period in history and this miniseries does it a justice, at least to my liking. This is definitely worth watching and worth purchasing even if it's just to see Winston Churchill make his We Must Never Surrender speech, which almost makes me sob every time and want to run down the street fervently waving the American flag and shouting various parts of the constitution.
on March 5, 2017
It is an entertaing docu-drama and A good way to engage students. However, there are some inacurracies. One that stands out is the scene where Hitler was spared bythe British soldier, Henry Tandey. There is no mention of the fact that historians are almost certain that Hitler mistook Tandey for the soldier who didn't kill him.
on October 31, 2014
This is possibly the most disappointing documentary I have watched and I have seen quite a few that misrepresented historical facts.Visually, it is very good and while the idea of concentrating on a few key figures and how their WW I experiences formed their outlooks is a reasonable approach it suffers from the impression that these figures are the whole story. For example, the series seems to suggest that only people like Patton and Macarthur were responsible for the Allied victory. Additionally, the factual mistakes are too numerous to mention such as Patton conquering Italy in 6 weeks when he was relieved of command and did not set foot in Italy at all. In fact, German forces in Northern Italy did not surrender until May 1945. Also, the USSR entering the war with Japan in 1945 is shown as Stalin's grab for control of the Far East. This is only partially correct as he had agreed to enter the war against Japan within 3 months of Germany's surrender. I was going to give this DVD away as it is so full of errors but I did not want to pollute the minds of those who have not studied the period in detail. So, I have kept it to show others an example of misrepresenting history.
on April 2, 2017
Low budget. Germans using Enfields and Springfields…really?? Doesn't do good job of getting information across. Jumbled mess.
on February 9, 2017
This was an excellent introduction for students beginning to study the World Wars. It truly helps them understand the "how did we get to that point" question. I especially liked that none of the men were made out to be perfect, just exceptional-in a good or a bad way. I appreciate the effort to tell the story of these men in the conflicts as fully as possible while still making it a truly entertaining series. My students loved it. If I don't have time to go further in depth with the subject (they'll get more of that in later years), this was a lovely intro, and best of all, it piqued their interest in cause and effect of historical events.
on April 25, 2017
I am a teacher and this holds the kids' attention and helps them to visualize the events we are learning about. Great character study!
on March 7, 2017
To confusing ... Flipping around all over the place
on February 11, 2015
It's a nice attempt, the actors do well... but the facts are off way too much. A disappointment in comparison to usual History Channel standards... Its not good historical work, and the historians from these big Universities commenting in the film should be ashamed they put their names on it, because they know better history than what's on this series. I could name some areas of mishaps but there are too many to point out a particular set of errors, it's plagued, destroy it. It should NOT be shown to any one trying to learn about World War 1 or 2. Do a recall like the automotive industry and remake this film....it had potential, but is a flop. Very disappointing overall, because the history is not being told, it skips many of the important events and figures, and presents an incoherent history, its painful to anyone that knows better. Thank God this isn't part of a text book curriculum. It only gets 1 star just because... that as low as I can without saying there was no product.