Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 110 reviews
on January 6, 2017
This author is not my preferred one, but this work of his is much better written than his other books in the WoW series.
The 5 star is solely for the lore content and biased because of my Nelf Druid. This lore has always been near and dear to my heart and while I wish it was told better with a different author, worthy of the task, I still enjoyed reading this book.
For those who don't know, this book encompasses Malfurion Stormrage and his love, Queen of the night elves, and high priestess of Elune, Tyranda, and their battle against The Nightmare in The emerald Dream. The tainted Emerald Dream seeps into the woken plane of reality and attacks all in Azeroth.
on April 19, 2017
Really awesome seller and really awesome book. I'm a huge Wow fan, and have always had a crush in Illidan, so this was a great read for me
on August 26, 2016
I really enjoyed the war of the ancients trilogy. But this book didn't live up to it. Once malfurion awakens, the whole rest of the book pretty much amounts to "more shadows emerged from the mists." And "malfurion's love for tyrande and azeroth inspired him to fight even harder against the nightmare." I feel like it could have been half as long and still been just as impactful. There was potential for some great character and relationship development, but it was not utilized.
on July 26, 2017
This is the story about Malfurion (Illidan is my favorite twin brother) and how he gets in deep trouble in the emerald nightmare. Is very entertained.
on November 17, 2011
As a Warcraft player of many years, and as someone who has read several of the WoW related novels, I have generally enjoyed Richard Knaak's past efforts in the WoW universe. Overall his body of work in the Warcraft universe has been well written, and has done a good job of adding texture to the in-game universe. Stormrage, unfortunately, is a miss by a wide margin for Knaak.

The first half of the book revolves primarily around various characters realizing that something is going wrong in the world and these characters are brought together intentionally and by chance to find the source of the problem and resolve it. There are moments in the first half where the story drags a bit, some characters come across as flat, and we are introduced to a few extraneous characters who are complete dead-ends (mainly thrown in to add some flavor and context to the story). All in all though the first half of the novel is an acceptable, if not exactly enjoyable read.

The second half on the other hand reads a lot like one long, extended, action sequence. Nearly every page is infused with a sense of urgency as characters are busily and desperately trying to understand what and who is behind all the troubles plaguing Azeroth and the Emerald Dream. During the third act in particular, Malfurion frequently has many "Ah-hah! I've got it now." moments. Only to be proven incorrect in his assumptions and then forced to move on and reconsider a new tactic.

This sort of whip-saw pacing is an energy drain on the reader. By the time the Knaak drops the 'real' ending on us, I was already numb from all the false-starts. Leaving the conclusion feeling dull and wasted.

Interspersed throughout entirety of the novel we're forced to sit through numerous and repeated laments of past and present mistakes from the main characters. These are handled as monologues and dialogues, and quickly become tiresome and then irritating when you realize that at least once a chapter someone is going to start pitching on about how she/he has failed in some way. I found myself skimming much more than I would normally.

I have problems with the imagery as well, which doesn't come across as fully realized in the book. At several points during my read I thought that this story would have been a good series of graphic novels where several of the novels shortcomings, such as a real lack of flavor for the Emerald Dream itself, for instance, could have been overcome with well realized pictures and more succinct writing.

I've got some unsubstantiated speculation as to why this novel is such a mess. For some time there was a lot of talk about an expansion pack for the video game that revolved around the Emerald Dream. I suspect that the expansion pack was called off and Knaak was tasked with piecing together a novel based on the story drafts that were floating about in order to bring some closure to that aspect of the universe, and reintroduce Malfurion to the world in the set up to the events of Cataclysm expansion pack and various related novels. Basically, this book reads like a labor of necessity (lore advancement) and not one of love.

Knaak was handed a tough assignment here, and to be fair I'm not sure how the other regular WoW writers would have fared. I would not recommend this book to anyone. Perhaps the most die-hard, must read everything WoW related fan will find some parts worthwhile. However on the whole I think tracking down the main story elements online somewhere would be time better spent than reading this book.
on August 30, 2017
I got these as a present for a WOW lover. She keeps asking for more now!
on February 1, 2011
Malfurion Stormrage's story is one thing that kept me addicted to the druid class in World of Warcraft. In fact, I've been playing as a druid for about five years in the game now. The story of Malfurion and Tyrande has always left me searching for more, scrounging for more lore anywhere I can find it. Needless to say, I was quite excited when I saw this book was going to be released.

I wasn't disappointed. The story is rich and exciting. I found myself reading faster and faster to reach the conclusion because of the action within, and gasping at certain events that I won't mention to not spoil it for those that haven't read it. The quality of the story is absolutely amazing and was well worth the wait.

Toward the end, the delivery of the story was not executed as well as it could have been, which has always been my slight complaint with Knaak's books. Some descriptors were used repeatedly on one page, to the point where I felt I was reading some of the same things over and over again. Please understand this is a nitpick of mine, but it became so distracting to me that I had to start some pages over.

That being said, I am still a fan of Mr. Knaak and I respect him a great deal for weaving a story so epic. I will continue to purchase his books, and overall the story was well done. I definitely recommend this book.
on April 3, 2017
Good story line info for game players
on June 3, 2015
I really don't care for Richard A. Knaak's style of writing. His writing is similar to Dean Koontz, using long gradiose sentences to describe a character, a scene, or their actions. This kind of writing detracts from what is actually happening in the moment for me. For those of you that like this go ahead, but I'd prefer to stick with perfectly accurate and concise descriptions that do not interfere with storytelling at all. Christie Golden is great at this and my favorite author of the warcraft books.
on May 26, 2017