Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 446 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,320 reviews
on March 9, 2015
In light of Robin Williams's tragic suicide, this film becomes even more poignant. I confess that I watched this recently only out of nostalgia for Williams, and his passing has allowed me to appreciate the nuance of his performances even more than when he was alive. It's ironic that I would have that kind of reaction to a film that satirizes the celebrity worship of suicide victims, but I think it's necessary to separate the reality of Williams's life from the satirical aspirations of this film.

This is one of those scripts that seems like it wants to come to life as an unwatchable, dark, independent comedy that the critics rave about. That's not what happened though. There's actually a lot of heart in this film, and I think it came from Williams. Also, it's interesting to note that Bobcat Goldthwait is the director. He's that quirky comedian from films like "One Crazy Summer," and I think his touch as not a career director helped this film enormously. Sometimes directors get in the way of the material and steal the spotlight, Goldthwait removes himself from the picture, and this is an admirable effort to have in the portfolio.

I was also impressed with the performance and portrayal of Kyle by Daryl Sabara (you might remember him as Juni from Spy Kids). In this film he plays Williams's unredeemable son, who accidentally kills himself while performing autoerotic asphyxiation. That might sound sad, but the kid is unbearable, and it's perhaps only after you watch the film that you realize how well written and acted the character of Kyle is. It would have been very difficult to create a believable reprehensible character that nevertheless is capable of retaining the focus of his father's love. They nailed it here, and the end result is heartbreaking and tragic...probably because you see so many kids who walk all over their parents just as Kyle walks all over Williams. A character conceived and portrayed like this is rare in modern film, and I think at least part of that is due to Goldthwait's position as an outsider.

Another interesting character is the on again, off again girlfriend played by Alexie Gilmore. At first you think she's just a mousy school teacher excited by a bit of attention, but you soon realize she's manipulative, shallow and evil (all with a squirrel like smile). This is another character that is a very good representation of people you find, unfortunately, in real life. It's surprising to have two such accurate portrayals of common people you encounter every day, who have, to my memory at least, never been major players in major film releases before.

Take note that this isn't exactly a comedy. I don't think "hilarious" belongs on the cover. But this film is thought provoking, well-acted, well-written, and it doesn't contain any major flaws. This is an interesting project for Williams to have picked. I'm glad he did.
on June 6, 2015
There is a moment where Lance starts chuckling inappropriately about the entire situation. At first, I thought this was odd, but then I realized that I'd been doing that through the whole movie! I think that's the brilliance of the film: it makes you chuckle about a subject matter that you normally wouldn't. Robin Williams' performance was exactly what this film needed. I read that he was just going to do a small part in the film, but asked for the lead after reading the script. Thank God he did. Even as I write this, though, I feel like I'm succumbing to the very point the film was trying to make - how odd it is that someone ends up being immortalized after his or her death. The thing is, I was always a fan of Robin Williams, even of the movies he did later that many people didn't like. Hell, I even loved his performance in Popeye, though I think the movie was otherwise just okay. But the point the movie makes about posthumous fame is a valid one, and to do it with such rich, dark humor kind of makes you want to chuckle, even during inappropriate times.
on November 5, 2014
Bobcat Goldthwait's story/movie covers a wide range of today's issues... respect, dating, divorce, dishonesty, loyalty, death, teenager challenges- behavior, bad manners, friendships- true/false, sex. It is a good movie. Robin Williams is great and delivers a strong performance while handling many tough subjects. The music ties the story together perfectly "when I get high this world is so nice," "love is simple," and "under pressure"... "pressure pushing down on me... insanity laughs under pressure... why can't we give love." My one question is this why does he leave his socks on... what's the importance? Watch and enjoy this adult story... it great.
on August 28, 2015
I thought the movie was superb! It dealt with a father trying desperately to reach a son who was anti-everything. You see Robin Williams forging a make believe son and a make believe world after his son's death. Tragically, so many of the elements had to have been present in Robin's mind in his own suicide. A sad but revealing movie.
I love Robin Williams movies. World's Greatest Dad is nothing like I expected. Shocking in so many ways. Tragically heartfelt given the story line and his own suicide later. World's Greatest Dad is a must watch, particularly if you love Robin Williams movies. I was blown away I hadn't seen this movie before, I'm saddened I didn't get to see it when he was still alive.
on August 25, 2014
Listed as a Comedy; we saw this one as pretty "Dark". Not much comedy here- but with the late, great Robin Williams - there was always a hint of comedy in everything he did. This one just had so many messages contained within- it was like peeling an onion. "So many layers".....we wanted a comedy and got a lesson movie. It was a good movie but it certainly is not a true comedy.
on June 17, 2015
I don't think it could be said any better than Elizabeth Wright said it in her review of August 2014....

"This was a difficult movie to watch, particularly with Robin's recent death. Yet The subjects it dealt with -- insincerity and lies, teen relationships, teen off the rails, single parenting, professional disappointment --were important. I find I think about it a lot. Williams' acting was powerful."
on March 21, 2015
Sad but important story that exposes the relationship vulnerability between parents and their kids, "...but I loved him." I found truths in all the social interactions exhibited in this movie. It is such a rich slice of life in our western culture, for better or worse. Williams is awesome as he plays the figurative part of jumping off the deep end, and then literally jumps off the deep end. What is left when all your chips are gone?
on April 13, 2015
Well.... It is a very strange movie. But considering bobcat goldthwait directed and wrote it, shouldn't surprise anyone
on March 12, 2015
I really enjoy the heart Robin Williams put into his movies. This one is no less than that. Why I didn't give it 5 stars, is simply because it is rather unique and not so easy to stay interested in, but it is well worth the effort if you do. Sometimes, you can make something good come of something not so good. Robin Williams was a master at that and his love will be missed in this world.