Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

80%
20%

on January 12, 2013
I understand Peter Greulich, where he comes from and what he is trying to accomplish.

Pretty well familiar with the IBM history I am somehow surprised that IBMers today should not know Thomas Watson Sr., and Thomas Watson Jr. However, I agree that most IBMers do not know the history of the corporation. It has very deep roots and is spread across more than hundred books, hundreds of articles, excellent IBM websites, IBM Annual Reports and plenty of other sources. There is no single source which allows IBMers to walk through the unique and fascinating IBM history. IBM is a lively role model for many business and technology management disciplines.
My original copy of "Men-Minutes-Money" by Thomas J. Watson is a marvel in my library with more than 120 books covering IBM, IBM competition and IT History. "Men-Minutes-Money (886 pages) was published in 1934, a collection of excerpts from talks and messages delivered and written at various times between January 25-30, 1915 and December 22nd, 1933 closing with "Let us push on." I discovered this book in 1984 in the IBM Education Center La Hulpe library, Belgium. In 2007 I acquired a used copy, studied it and considered it - 73 years after its publication - a "fountain of wisdom."

I agree with Peter Greulich "We will need more Chief Executive Officers like him in the twenty-first century" even if I know that we cannot compare the times of both Watsons with our times today given the fact that people are to a certain extent a product of their specific times and environments.

"The World's Greatest Salesman" by Peter E. Greulich has 311 pages, 23 pages written by the author; on 37 pages he highlights and comments the subsequent set of Watson Sr.'s messages to his audiences. Thus 253 pages are carefully selected and sorted original Watson Sr. talks and messages. Greulich was very successful in picking specific Watson Sr. messages to convey them into the present. I enjoyed reading them again; however changing Watson's "IBM" into Greulich's version "THE IBM" to differentiate the old from the new IBM disturbed me a little bit.
Watson Sr. earned the title "The World's Greatest Salesman" in the "New York Times" obituary dated June 20, 1956. Watson Sr. often considered himself "a salesman" and referred to his roots with John H. Patterson, the founder of NCR. Watson Sr. made IBM Salesmen feel great and he made them great. IBM Salesmen felt great and respected when they performed well, top performers even more.
Richard S. Tedlow covered Thomas Watson Sr. in his fascinating book "Giants of Enterprise", seven business innovators and the empires they built (Andrew Carnegie, George Eastman, Henry Ford, Thomas Watson Sr., Charles Revson, Sam Walton and Robert Noyce). In his book "The Watson Dynasty" in Chapter 10 headlined "The Watson Way" he characterized Watson Sr. as the longest of the long-term thinkers. Watson Sr.'s performance overall and especially during the time of the Great Depression was outstanding and unique. His son, Thomas Watson Jr. was equally important to IBM and the IBM Way.

My comments on the final chapter "An IBM Caretaker's Conclusion" are the following:
Peter Greulich discusses Lou Gerstner as CEO expressed in his book "Who Says Elephants Can' Dance".
He adds: "These discussions have needed, first, a historical viewpoint provided by this book."
My comment: Greulich's book is not an IBM historical viewpoint; it is a selection of messages provided almost 80 years ago.
The IBM historical viewpoint is much more complex than Greulich's book.

We should never forget that the success of IBM has always been produced by generations of hundreds of thousands IBMers with their families who were proud of being with IBM, who sacrificed a lot to contribute, who gained tangible and intangible benefits being with this company. Time and again, starting with the almost forgotten man Arthur K. Watson, we encounter IBMers in IBM's history who considered themselves not being appropriately rewarded or respected. Arthur K. Watson's performance and contributions are described in [...]. The pressure on IBM's workforce was culminating during the downsizing from 405.000 to 301.000 employees during the Akers term and further down to 220.000 year end 1994 during the Gerstner term, an incredible reduction by 185.000 IBM employees within less than a decade. IBM made huge investments in separation allowances to support these dramatic reductions. However, we must not forget that companies like Wang Laboratories, Digital Equipment and eventually Compaq disappeared or were acquired.

Lou Gerstner wrote to all IBM employees on April 6, 1993, six days after his start: "I can only assure you that I will do everything I can to get this painful period behind us as quickly as possible, so that we can begin looking to our future and to building our business. I want you to know that I do not believe that those who are leaving IBM are in any way less important, less qualified, or that they made fewer contributions than others. Rather, we ALL owe those who are leaving an enormous debt of gratitude and appreciation for their contributions to IBM." Gerstner kept his promise; with his team he brought IBM back into a leading and respected position; when he left year end 2001 IBM was back to a workforce of 320.000 employees. I know, with a different geographical mix - the key business drivers can be studied in Thomas Friedman's book "The World is Flat."

Today the IBM workforce comprises more than 430.000 women and men.

Greulich: "IBMers continue to endure the effects of what many consider the watershed event of Lou Gerstner's tenure. On July 1, 1999, IBM eliminated its pension and health care plans...Finally, because of the outcry, IBM modified its original plans ... There is no win-win relationship. The furor continues worldwide."

I think it is very important that IBM sticks to its commitments to employees already retired at the time of a plan change (no ex-post deteriorations! Fairness and improvements are always welcome.

However, a company should be able to change pension plans if defined as "subject to change" - e.g. from "benefit pension" to "contribution pension" - in a fair and reasonable way - e.g. splitting between the existing workforce with a minimum time of service and newcomers - to maintain its competitiveness.

GM went into chapter 11, partly because of pension plans. What is the advantage for the active workforce and retirees if the company goes bankrupt?

What would have happened with the IBM pension plans if John Akers had been successful with his plans to split IBM into more than 10 baby blues? Nobody knows if they would have survived. Look at IBM's business and portfolio mix of today and what happened or happens to the commodity providers? If they disappear, pension plans disappear, totally!

Greulich and we all should never forget it was Louis V. Gerstner who kept Greulich's "THE IBM" together!!!

In Europe, with the strong involvement of works councils, pension plan changes for the active workforce were made; I am pretty sure that IBM is adhering to labor laws in each country where IBM operates. American conditions are different from conditions in other geographies.

In "Making the World Work Better" we find the following statements:
Sam Palmisano of Gerstner: "Without him, I don't think we would have survived. We needed somebody with that tough mind and analytical skill." For further details I refer to Gerstner's excellent book "Who Says Elephants can't dance".
Gerstner of Palmisano: "What Sam has done is the hardest thing to do - to take a successful platform and continually evolve it; Sam took a successful company and made it far more successful."
"IBMers like to think that the work they do is important to the world. There is the ethic of progress guiding how we think," said James Cortada, a member of the IBM Institute for Business Value and the author of dozens of books and articles on the history and management of information technologies.
I agree.

Peter Greulich closes his book with a preview of his next book "A View from Beneath the Dancing Elephant". I am very curious to get his book and study it; it has not yet appeared. I fully understand his motivation; at the same time I also try to understand business realities. In business you can never stick with the past, this would be wishful thinking.
Both Watsons knew this, Gerstner knew it, he learned the importance of Leadership with Business Culture in IBM - see his statement "I came to see, in my time at IBM, that culture isn't just one aspect of the game - it is the game" (Page 182). Palmisano knew it too, he grew in IBM and did not come from the outside; he orchestrated the implementation of the new IBM Values, not top down but in jam sessions involving 50.000 IBMers from all over the world, a unique step in Business Culture Development. Finally the new IBM Values can be considered as children of the old Basic Beliefs. Important is not what is written down or placarded on walls, important is how the values are adhered to, and this is the daily job of active executives, managers and the whole workforce.
Retirees should be careful judging the contemporary IBM from the outside.

I still trust in "IBM ever onwards" towards the next centennial, however it needs to be done day by day, fulfilling requirements of very demanding IBM customers and the markets overall in a very competitive environment. IBM today is not anymore dominating the industry, it is part of it, and tries to be in future oriented leading positions.

The famous proverbs "It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future" and "The best way to predict the future is to create it" apply. I am positive.
on February 3, 2012
I started this book with a bit of trepidation. I spent 21 years at The IBM between 1974 and 1995 - back when it *was* "your father's IBM." Before I started, I had somehow gotten the impression that this book was about how bad IBM had become, but that was not it at all.

"The World's Greatest Salesman: An IBM Caretaker's Perspective," is about how to succeed in business. Any business, at any time under any political and economic conditions.

Taken as a history, this is a collection of the speeches and writings of Thomas J. Watson, Sr. during the three deepest years of the Great Depression. It brims with Watson's best wisdom for success in business during the Great Depression. It covers everything from treating employees well, not laying off people, but hiring more salesmen to keep the factories, service people, and office staff working and getting a paycheck. Watson discusses the world economic situation, never using it as an excuse, but rather as a springboard from which to reap even further success. That success was never far from his mind as he knew that IBM had become a stock to be counted upon by "widows and orphans" to provide a steady income. The measure of that success is that IBM never once stopped paying or reduced the dividend during that critical economic time. Not so in the 1990's when the bean counters like Gerstner took over without a clue about IBM's culture - although that distinction is not made directly in the book.

When taken as a commentary upon today's business in general, and IBM in particular, there is little doubt that many of today's executives could learn from what T.J. had to say during the Great Depression. I was constantly struck by how Watson's words paralleled today's economic and political situation, and how it would be wise for many of today's executives to follow his advice and counsel.

The author includes many speeches and writings that reiterate time after time that hiring the right people and letting them do their work is far better than the micromanagement practiced today. That executives such as the controller are there to help SPEND money wisely not to prevent its being spent. That each executive and manager (Watson hated the word) was to be a helper to each employee, teaching them the ropes and helping them in every way possible to achieve their objectives. That if an employee fails, the manager has failed.

Due to the repetition in some of these speeches and writings, reading this book can get a bit dry at times. Don't let that stop you. These are important words and we must learn from history because if we do not, we will be destined to repeat it - as it seems we are.

From a political standpoint this book is about supporting the politicians who are willing to "try something new because what we have been doing is not working." FDR took office for the first time during the depths of the depression. Watson, a paragon of free-market capitalism called on all businesses to support the government in its efforts to make things better for both business and workers. He supported the National Recovery Act (NRA) that was part of the New Deal proposed by President Roosevelt. Watson and The IBM of that time knew that you had to start by making things better for the workers before the rest of the economy could possibly get better. Trickle UP works better than trickle down.

Watson also discussed "Mass Thinking" as brought about by the mass media. He said that what was needed was much more individual thinking. He made it possible for the man on the assembly line to see any of his management chain including Watson himself in order to promote a new idea or a better way of doing things. He opned the lines of communication within the IBM.

As a bit of nostalgia, this book brings back many good memories of my time at IBM. This book foreshadows the IBM Basic Beliefs that I grew up on at IBM. I wish there had been a bit more to connect The IBM of the Watsons to The IBM of the 70's and 80's. It was a great place to work at that time; probably the best in the world, including the best benefits.

But connecting that history with the IBM of the 90's, and the tragic loss of those beliefs seems to be the story for the author's next book, "Under the Dancing Elephant."

I did receive a free Kindle copy of this book from the author in return for this review.
on October 10, 2011
Pete has done a great job of explaining how the IBM I joined in 1960 came about. His research into and explanation of Thomas J. Watson Sr.'s guiding principles up until his son took over in the 1950s were ingrained into the company when I went to work. They were still in place when I had the pleasure of meeting Pete on his first day at work. I hope they still are, but like all older generations, I fear that the "new kids" may not really understand their value. This book should be required reading for all current IBM employees. Pete need a fine job of explaining how IBM became great and what is needed to keep it great. It is also a pleasurable read for anyone with an interest in business and people.
on September 26, 2011
Pete has done an outstanding job of capturing the source of the mystique and tradition behind The IBM. When I joined The IBM company 50 years ago, it was, without question, the #1 company in the world. Pete has been able to demonstrate how it got that way, by bringing to life the words and vision of Thomas J. Watson as he provided guidance to the new recruits and laid the foundation upon which The IBM was built.
on September 18, 2011
Perhaps the most important statement I could make about "The World's Greatest Salesman" is this: It made me THINK. I believe that was the author's goal and, with this reader, the author succeeded. I can easily imagine a classroom filled with thinking students - with "The World's Greatest Salesman" as their textbook.