Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Worlds Together, Worlds Apart: A History of the World: From 1000 CE to the Present (Third Edition) (Vol. 2)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on October 11, 2012
I purchased this textbook because I am taking one of the author's courses on coursera. It is a survey text. The idea is to view history globally, The emphasis is on trade and shows how the development of trade affected various areas of the world. If you want to know the details of daily life in the renaissance, or details of the development of various protestant denominations during the reformation, you won't find them in this text. If you want to know details about how and what Confucian thought influenced daily life in China, you won't find that information in this text. If you are interested in the different ways in which various parts of the world were colonized or not colonized and how that affected commercial development and the slave trade, yes, in a broad brush way subjects like that are covered. If you want a text that covers world history as opposed to European history or Chinese history or intellectual history, then this textbook will fill the bill. It will give you an overall picture of how the world developed and provide a good general knowledge of world history and the development of global connection between various civilizations. As a general survey text it works well. There are plenty of maps and visual aids that assist the reader. I purchased the loose leaf version so that I could add additional materials at the end of each chapter. There are study aids on a site by the publisher that sre quite helpful. I also can print out a transcript of Professor Adelman's lectures and add them in as well. The course this text is used in on coursera is excellent. And the course, like all coursera courses is, free.
on November 24, 2011
From a student's, who's not overly fond of history, perspective, I rather like this book. It does not attempt to use humor to make a point and it's concise, clear-cut, and useful. There are colorful maps as well as plentiful illustrations which are far more engaging that cheesy humor. Each section is distinct, and the divisions make sense. At the end of each chapter is a timeline of the big events within the chapter's time period, split into sections according to where they happened.
There is also a support website that has the textbook, online quizzes on the chapters, and a variety of helpful information and study tools.
Whether for reference, a class, or casual reading, I highly recommend this book.

It is a bit pricey, but is cheaper than some history books I've had to purchase in the past.
33 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2012
This gets 4 stars because of the class. This is the text book for a world history class run by Princeton University on Coursera . The class has been wonderful and this text book is the first text written from a global perspective for world history. It is such a relief to look at history without a political agenda making us good and them bad. Instead it looks at trends and repeated patterns to help us understand that all humans respond the same way.
on December 4, 2012
I'm not fan of history, indeed I am from CS background. I bought the loose leaf version to try, but it was so useful. I can select half a chapter read in the bed, take with me, etc. The content is of very good quality, the format, the photos, the highlights of every chapter. This is not the same Coursera content, they are really complements, from both you get a wider perspective. A little expensive as I'm not from the US, but really wanted to get the most of the course. If you too, and can afford the price, consider buying it.
on March 12, 2013
This was the perfect textbook for the Coursera history course I completed. Clear, concise, well organized, and much more interesting than the textbooks I remember.
on December 3, 2012
If you are familiar with text books, you know they are not generally easy to read. This one, though, is pretty captivating. Since I bought it for an MOOC (and thus am a volunteer), the fact that I read the book is pretty high praise.
on January 26, 2014
I don't usually read textbooks in my free time, but I read this one as part of a Coursera course. I found it to be surprisingly good, and well above average in terms of quality. I've always been interested in history, and am happy to say I learned quite a bit from this book. For casual use, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're taking a class that requires or even just recommends it, then you can be glad to have one of the better choices out there, in my experience.
on November 1, 2013
This book is hard to handle. Large soft cover book is too floppy to hold and read in your lap in a chair or on a train. The paper is shiny and reflectsl lights which means that you are constanty shifting the angle of the book. The content is broken up so there is no continuity. You are always searching for where they put the end of your sentence. These interruptions make it hard to concentrate on the material.
on October 27, 2013
We got the 'loose leaf' format which our student really likes - she can take out the chapter she needs and work on it without lugging the entire thing around. She finds it engaging and fun - we learned of it through Coursera (free online college level courses) and it's been a great addition to our homeschooling program. When you can keep a student engaged and interested in history, you know it's a good text!
on October 30, 2012
Well written, easy to comprehend, well laid out. Good supply of additional information in the manner of photos, illustrations, excellent maps. A few errors here and there but minor. New edition with corrections coming soon. Overall a good reference to the global vision of the world.