Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 25, 2017
I was blown away by the intensity and persistence of these storms, and the families who toughed it out, even though I had seen the documentary years ago. Were these farmers and their families so strong, with so much perseverance, that they just didn’t want to see the truth, or were they simply rather foolish for not realizing that, after two years, nothing would change, at least not quickly enough for them? That it was a time to move on? Fine powdery sand everywhere, everywhere. Who could live like that and not travel to insanity?
on September 26, 2017
This is the first book I've read concerning the Great Dust Bowl. I've seen shows on various History Channels, but this book brought the Dusters home. I know what home is and the fight to keep your home so everything makes sense. I do not know what I would've done. I'm not a farmer so it's difficult to imagine. This book help to imagine what I would've done. So try to take a deep breath of dust and.......
on May 17, 2017
This book is truly a well written history on the cause and the effects on real people of the worst ecological disaster in US history. The author provides a graphic description of what people had to live through during this period. Gave my a real appreciation for what my parents had to live through as they both grew up close to "ground zero" for the Dust Bowl.
on May 10, 2016
Tim Egan's " The Worst Hard Time " captures the story unknown to most people. The term " Dust Bowl " may conjure up some inkling of the subject of this book but little is understood of what actaully happened on the Great Plains of America in the first 40 years of the twentieth century. The book can be considered an expose' of unbridled, thoughtless government, unscrupulous real estate swindlers, out of control greed and lack of understanding of the environment of the Great Plains. The history is intriguing and the way Egan lays out how, why and what happened almost any reader will find fascinating.From FDR, to the flim flam of " rainmakers ", to the poor inhabitants of the Central and Great plains this is a tragic story and occurrence from which we have still not learned enough. The abuse of the Plains in Kansas, Texas, Colorado and New Mexico still has not been resolved. The spectacle of runaway greed, lack of knowledge and its lasting negative impact on an entire valuable ecosystem for over one hundred years is an element of our national history that will most likely never be righted. A great read for anyone who enjoys contemporary history.
heritage that can't be undone
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2012
This book is a true story non-fictional account of the Dust Bowl before and current about the Southern Plains history. Timothy Egan writes splendidly about the history which included the Dust Bowl period which plagued the Southern Plains during the Dirty Thirties.

Anybody interested in the Great Depression, Dust Bowl, and Southern Plains history will be fascinated by his natural story-telling which is compelling to write the least. Egan writes passionately about events that are close to him especially about the people whose lives that the Dust Bowl touched.

Forget Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" novel, this book is a page turner and fascinating to see the photographs which don't do justice. The people described here come alive in the words and pages of research and passion. Egan justifiably deserved the accolades that came with this book's publication.

This book is a must read about the 1930s in America's heartland which was known as No Man's Land where people fought to stay alive, survive, thrive, and stay in their homesteads. The book offers a complete overview of the history including the government programs which helped many during the Great Depression.
on April 4, 2017
Timothy Egan writes history that is captivating. He knows how to tell a story of past events that make them relevant today. It has important ramifications for climate change deniers. There are just a few items we had to know about the Dust Bowl in history class that didn't even touch on this disastrous policy. A compelling read!
on January 1, 2015
Content flowed well....good writing and brought in some historical clarifications for me..it was a fairly quick read and I never got bored... .the dust bowl was unfortunately resulted with good intentions that ended up doing "'more bad"...Bottom line is man want to "get rich" without careful consideration of what would ultimately would happen..the world lives by experience only and our biggest mistakes were right before our eyes before we pursued them.and then they hit us !..lack of water is pressing right now yet not a lot is being doing about it...California maybe in a hundred years or more wilt be an attraction of not planing ahead...I go along with Sen. Jim Inhofe from Oklahoma and don't believe global warming is going to end this world...millions of years have gone by with similar findings and we are still here...the dust storms were a small example of what we did to nature by not thinking ahead....I can see in the future where there will be a "Bone Dry California" written for history or maybe perhaps a book about a city called "New York" that sunk in the bay from people and building overload !
on November 10, 2015
This story has inspired discussions of this era with people who lived it, but never put it into a perspective beyond the impact it had on themselves or their families. I find them nodding their heads and adding dimension to their own understanding of the times, as well as mine.

Timothy Egan is an unapologetic liberal who truthfully recounts the disastrous consequences of poorly conceived government programs that resulted in the destruction of an ecosystem that had endured for thousands of years. He also discusses, with admiration, the character, charm, and endurance of people who had only only those tools with which to face a world that was out of control.

I knew that my family's character was defined by the hardships of the Great Depression and their participation as members of the Greatest Generation, but now, I think I understand them a little better. It saddens me to think that there are cannot understand the people described in this story: people who think the American Dream is dead and that they're treated unfairly if the government doesn't guarantee them what they consider to be a living wage. Success will always be defined by working hard, working smart (the most important fact proven in this story), belief in tomorrow. Because of my family, I believe in tomorrow. Because of this story and the way it is told, I understand my family better.
on June 20, 2017
This book gives us a rare look at the details of day to day life during the time of the great dust storms. The hardship is hard to believe. I find it striking that the government encouraged the settlement of the plains and that plan backfired. Seems very similar to today's government encouraging everyone to own a home.
on September 19, 2013
Both sides of my family were living in parts of OK & TX that were affected by this man-made disaster. Even though they eventually left & headed to CA, I'm drawn to the story of these people, my people.This book tells the story of the dust bowl hows & whys, but it's the story of the people who stayed.

Timothy Egan's prose is so evocative that you can taste the dirt in your mouth, hear the wind howl as it beat the sand into every crevice in every building, feel the quiet combination of determination & desperation in the hearts & souls of these tough people.

This is a wonderful, if brutal story of people & land in a time when most believed that human's could tame & shape the land to their own desires, without a thought to the long-term consequences.