Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > The Fault in Our Stars forum

Would this be appropriate to give to a 15 yr old girl undergoing chemotherapy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2013, 8:34:50 AM PDT
Questioner says:
Would this be appropriate to give to a 15 yr old girl undergoing chemotherapy?

Posted on May 14, 2013, 10:24:16 AM PDT
depends on the child. It is edgy enough but I feel it may represent a realistic approach to what a teen is struggling with in addition to the disease. There is death involved.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 10:56:34 AM PDT
In my opinion it would. There is some death involved and there is a somewhat melancholic ending but apart from that it just shows the problems teens are struggling with in addition to cancer so... it depends on whether the child is sensitive. Overall the story is something a teen with cancer could relate to. I'm 13 years old and although I don't have cancer I also have some health disease and I found the book very good.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 11:03:47 AM PDT
Teresa witte says:
I would say absolutely! It's an awesome read and very enlightening.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 11:09:50 AM PDT
Derek says:
I believe that depends on the person. The individuals with cancer in this book are all very young as well, and there approach to their condition is sarcasm. They consistently jeer at each other with slighted remarks regarding each of their conditions. However it seems to provide an uplifting mood to their unfortunate situations. So it would concern me that someone younger who has conditions similar to the characters may react poorly to the characters dialog, if she isn't mature enough to handle it.

There are also some mature situations in the book. There's occasional swearing, drug references, and one very low key sex scene. In the sex scene it is more just implied that two characters have sex, not so much describing the actual individual actions.

My last hesitation would be that book does discuss loss in great length as one of the central characters passes away in the book. As someone whose lost family members to cancer I found it over emotional. And I again agree the importance of the maturity of the girl as reading about that could be very difficult, especially actually having had some sort of cancer.

Despite all that I do firmly recommend reading the book. Its extremely well written and despite the seriousness of the topic and what happens to the characters it manages to be uplifting while being real about life with cancer, both for those that have it and those who stand by their loved ones.

Yes I think given her personality it would be appropriate. I also wish her the absolute best. May God be with her.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 11:10:11 AM PDT
CindyLuWho says:
I think yes, but it depends on how mature the 15 year old is. The issue of a character dying a virgin (or not) is a small part of the story (trying not to spoil anything, but basically if you don't want your kid to read about premarital sex, don't have her read this). It's not a central topic at all but it is in there.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 11:11:44 AM PDT
Titus says:
It depends on the maturity of the 15 year old. The main characters have a rather sarcastic, but I would argue realistic view, of suffering from cancer. It is at its core a love story. I would say that cancer is a character. Read it yourself and decide.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 3:26:25 PM PDT
I think it depends on how strong you think she can handle things. It's a really strong book and touches a lot of sensitivity.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 8:56:44 PM PDT
Yes - i think it would be very appropriate..the story digs into the emotions of dealing with cancer - a realizing that there is a person behind the diagnosis. It is a fantastic book for teens regardless but in this case I think it would especially touching.

Posted on May 16, 2013, 6:50:38 PM PDT
I don't think so. It talks about death a lot, and the characters make death jokes too... I don't think she'd appreciate that.

Posted on May 16, 2013, 6:51:46 PM PDT
John H. says:
Also, one of the main characters dies at the end, and the other main character ends up extremely sad because of the death (died by cancer)

Posted on Oct 21, 2013, 7:34:01 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 5, 2014, 3:43:26 PM PDT
buyer says:
I suggest that the adult read the book themselves, and then decide if it is appropriate. That's what I did.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  May 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Hardcover - 2012)
4.7 out of 5 stars (37,877)