Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 12, 2017
Excellent!! I've recommended this to teachers and school counselors - in fact I've given my copy away to a teacher. Great to quick short stories that are a page or two but packed with though provoking tales. The power of a short story is incredible and students could really learn that for their college essays.
I had it in my car to read while I waited for my kids so it was nice to have a few minutes pick up a book and read something very interesting and be done and not feel defeated because I only go through a couple pages in a chapter.
I didn't mention much about Maya Angelou but she is a must have in your library! If you haven't read anything by her, start here! Then move on to I Know Why The Cage Bird Sings!!
on February 23, 2017
A wonderful introduction to the writings of one very Phenomenal Woman. Each short essay in this book bursts with wisdom and honesty. Maya Angelou even lays bare her own emotions and insecurities in some of the essays, which makes the book all the more authentic. This book should be required reading for all young ladies, age 12 to 20, teaching them to have dignity and never let anyone steal their crown.
2 people found this helpful
on September 6, 2014
What is it about the death of a writer that suddenly makes people want to delve into their work? I suppose I just never realized what an amazing person Maya Angelou was, and what an interesting life she lead, until the obituaries started making headlines and finally caught my attention. Better late than never: now I can't seem to get enough of her. This book was the first of hers I read. I liked this collection of her poetry so much that I immediately went to the library to get her first autobiography, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings... only to find I was #45 on the waiting list! Needless to say, I ended up buying that book from Amazon, too.
on June 2, 2000
One of the most memorable stories on this audio cassette (and in the book as well) is where Maya tells what her Mama (grandmother) would do when a known-whiner would come into their general store in Stamps, Arkansas.
Mama would call for Maya, saying, "Sister, come over here." When the "whiner" came in, Mama would ask them "How are you doing?" and the whiner would launch into a lengthy complaint about the weather and work and other things.
After this whiner left the store, Mama would turn to Maya and say "Sister, nobody likes to listen to someone who whines and complains..." and she'd tell Maya that there were lots of people - black and white, rich and poor - who went to bed last night and never woke up this morning, who'd give almost anything to have one more day of work or one more day in the summer's heat.
And the summation - "Sister, if you don't like something, change it. And if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."
This is a powerful book/audio tape. And it is narrated by Maya Angelou, which makes it even more of a treasure.
I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve the way they think about life.
39 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This is and will probably always be one of my most favorite books. The wit and wisdom shared within can be applied to everyday living. As I read, I felt as if I was speaking to a grandparent or elder that was sharing invaluable experiences from which I could glean from to make my own life better. Each chapter is short and gets to the point, which I think is a hallmark of great writing.
on February 13, 2018
If you love Maya than you must have this book in your collection! Each time you read her work it speaks to you in a different way!
on May 6, 2018
I love the short stories in this book, purchased for myself and friend as a gift.
on June 25, 2014
So, like many Americans I had never read any of Maya Angelou's books but became fascinated with her after seeing and hearing her on Oprah Winfrey's show and decided to give her a try. The book is made up of 24 short anecdotes taking about 10 minutes each to read and which I include as one of my readings in my morning quiet time. The book in inspirational, enlightening, refreshing and has given me a greater appreciation of the author and has inspired me to further explore her works. The book will not disappoint.
2 people found this helpful
on January 16, 2018
Life changing book! Listen to it over and over. Excellent !
on September 3, 2014
Ms. Angelou's writing are so profound. I get it. I have lived it. Just listened and when you want to complain about life remember that your journey has gotten you to where you are today. Be okay with your life so you can embrace your future. Amazing read.