Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,223 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,640 reviews
on February 10, 2017
I really enjoyed this book. I read this as a child, but I do not remember it, so returning to it as an adult was fun. I enjoyed the themes and messages of love, and the quirkiness of the characters. They aren't your typical hero- types, but some of the behind the scenes blend-into-the-background types. I think this would be a great book for kids and teachers to use. Obviously a classic.
on January 7, 2017
I read it again before giving it as a gift. Madeleine l'Engle is a wonderful story tell with such great understanding acceptance of others, not like you or me.
on July 30, 2017
This is an amazing book even 50 years after publication. As happens with a really great book, it is as relevant and thoughtful today as it was the year it was published. I sent this audio version to my grandchildren to listen to in the car and they tell me they are enjoying it very much.
on August 7, 2017
My go to book. Started reading it in 6th grade and even though I'm 63 If given it away to people so many times I lost count. I'm giving to my church next. Great science fiction/fantasy read about kids who need to rescue their Dad. Can't put it down even today!
on July 16, 2017
Remembering that I had always thought of A Wrinkle In Time as my favorite childhood book, I realized I had forgotten much of the story, even though I read it over and over. I decided it was time to read it again. I was surprised to see how it combined science and religion into a single story. Looking back, I wonder now at the degree of influence it had on my later choices. I was a biology major 8n college and spent my career in the healthcare industry. Upon taking early retirement, I enrolled in seminary. Science and my Christian faith have always been the foundations of my life. I believe I now understand why. Thank you, Madeleine L'Engle!
on December 10, 2015
Looking back on my childhood, this book had the most lasting impact on how I developed as a learner. Naturally, after letting over a decade pass since my last read-through, I decided it would be fun to re-visit. And let me tell you, I am so glad I did! The reread was highly nostalgic. Not to mention, it was fun to see the thought and construction of a book that as such an impact on so many young minds.

That being said, I completely forgot about the religious undertones in this book. Undertones, in fact, might be too lenient of a term. With no disrespect to anyone coming from religious backgrounds, I was sort of disappointing that book with so many important lessons about being yourself ended on such a religious note. Nevertheless, this is a book worth reading to your kids (or yourself) if you are considering giving it a shot. The characters are memorable, the story-line clever, and the execution unique enough to make it one of the better children's books ever written.
on October 31, 2014
My 8 yr old grandaughter and I read and it is a really good story. I'm enjoyed it immensely.
Well written, mysterious, engaging, and amusing. I want to know what happens next.

However, please note, this is written more for older children, maybe around 12 years. My Sarah is 8 and in 2nd grade. She's in advanced reading but I stop now and then to explain some of the words in this book. The science mentioned is way over her head but she doesn't seem to mind once I go over the terms (if I know, LOL).

Also, if you're reading it aloud.... the chapters are loooooong. After a couple I have to call it a night. We actually end up stopping in the middle of a chapter at times. They're wordy at times, too. She's a wonderful writer and her word pictures are amazing but for a kids book... it's long. This book will get you through the holidays.

Be aware there are a few Christian themes in the book but they're subtle. I was shocked when I ran across a Psalm even though I know the author is a Christian and I sensed the themes. Anti-Christians may not want to bother with it but as I said, they are very subtle themes, not preachy or in your face. You won't experience God or angelic visitations.... I don't think. If you're unfamiliar with Christianity or you genuinely appreciate great books regardless of their themes, you won't notice them. I'm fairly certain you children won't get them at all.

Whatever you believe or disbelieve, this story is worth laying aside preconceptions and bias. Just tell yourself it is excellent fantasy and you'll be fine.
on May 11, 2017
This is a classic for a reason. Ms. L'Engle weaves science, faith, and adventure into an unforgettable story.
on July 16, 2017
This book was required reading in my seventh grade drama class. Although I love reading I refuse to read this book. Science fiction was never my thing. However I am now 40 in his sis been bothering me my entire adult life. Why I never got around to doing this is beyond me. So now I can say mine conscience is finally cleared. I feel like I should reach out to my Haley to let her know how proud of myself I am
on December 6, 2016
As I had somehow missed this as a young person, and as I really enjoy YA fantasy, I bought this audio version to listen to while on an eight-hour road trip. I really expected to be entertained and enchanted. Sadly, I found the story dull and dated. The reader was hard to hear above the road noise, and her voice was irritating and made many of the characters sound alike. Charles Wallace was not credible as a little boy being as all-knowing as he was supposed to be, Meg was in turns arrogant, whiny, and needy, and was constantly needing to be cared for by other people. Some heroine. (not). I couldn't stand listening to her yelling at her poor father, after all he had been through. The boyfriend would have been more at home in the Eagle Scout Handbook. The resolution at the end simply wasn't any denouement at all--really, really flat, and a cheat to readers who have slogged through the whole story. Others have told me that they really enjoyed Madeleine L'Engle's stories, but this one has not stood the test of time. There are far better good versus evil, fantasy stories out there.