Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on May 17, 2007
For years, I worked 12-hour days and my average roundtrip commute was 3 hours, which left only evenings and weekends for my writing. It was very difficult to write even during those off-hours because I always felt burnt out and not very creative.

However, two years ago I relocated from Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles and now I work from home which affords me much more time to write. I was amazed, though, to find, that even with all the free time I have that I still found it difficult to write. So, I decided to pick up this book. Now, I know that I'm not alone--a lot of what I've gone through is shared by other writers.

In this book, Atchity explains how to get the most out of your time and become more productive. Among the most valuable sections for me (& there were MANY) were the ones that dealt with attention span, procrastination, checklists, index cards and using a stopwatch.

I've now reorganized my writing time, space, and find myself to be MUCH more productive. I'm also carrying a stopwatch around the house all day--not that he advocates getting so carried away with it--but I find it very useful in managing my time. I know. . . sounds odd, but hey, whatever works.

Other notable sections are those on recapturing creativity and understanding fear and anxiety. The author helps the reader to understand both and use them to our advantage. It was so helpful to learn that anxiety is a NORMAL part of the process and a writer's life. I was beginning to think it was a mental disorder. NOW, I know better. ;)

I also posted, above my computer, some of the many inspirational quotations which are sprinkled throughout (oh, and the last chapter is chock full of them). Priceless, priceless words of wisdom that never fail to get me going. ;)

I also recommend "How to Publish Your Novel" by this author. IMMENSELY helpful for aspiring novelists. . . and published novelists who realize that there's always more waiting to be learned.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on March 25, 2015
I have lots of books on writing, but this is my absolute favorite. If you're 'fixin' to write a book, you gotta' have this one. This is the most practical book for a writer I have ever read.
on September 21, 2012
A valuable process-driven guide to writing that also supplies several tools and tricks-of-the-trade that would be useful in overcoming obstacles that frequently plague the writer. The process demystifies writing, by reducing writing to manageable, bite-sized tasks and elements. My chief complaint is the lack of examples; specifically, what an actual, completed file card would look like -- and how the information on the card is transformed/fleshed out into a scene for the book. I imagine that such examples exist in great quantities in the writing courses the author administers.
4 helpful votes
on May 20, 2017
YEAH WHATEVER... COOL AND JUST WHAT ONE NEEDS.
on October 9, 2015
I give this book to all aspiring writers--helps you get it done by explaining the actual mental process of writing, and gives an organizational process to get started and to complete your project. NIce discussion of the anxieties that accompany writing as well.
on February 20, 2017
This is an outstanding book by a highly experienced and successful writer which is essentially vital to anyone who wants to write a novel, screenplay or even poem. The book guides the reader from beginning to end of the writing process and in this it is truly unique!
on June 7, 2016
Parts of this book were great and other parts (most actually) were seriously outdated. I also found the authors analogies a bit confusing and weird. If you've never read a book on time management or book structure, you might find this book helpful. But I am of the opinion there are much better books out there. It was a lot less about time management and much more about book structure and the writing/publishing.

Giving it 3 stars because it wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting at all.
on August 13, 2013
While some of the basic concepts are good, his analogies are very weird like continents to represent the subconscious versus the conscious.

Perhaps most importantly for a book basically on time management, he wastes tons of time repeating the same concepts, which by the way you can quickly glean from most good time management books.
on March 18, 2015
The book has many useful tips and lots of encouragement! I can tell already that his advise is sound and I look forward to putting it to use!
on October 5, 2014
I actually got this for a friend, but I did because I have and use this book - clear, pragmatic, and gets you on a writing schedule, painlessly.