Truck Season Automotive Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

This book helped me write grant proposals for a nonprofit ballet company. As shown by our successful proposals, this Guide really helped.

Let's put this in terms of writing papers for college. Remember term papers? Remember courses where you had ONE term paper? So everything is riding on that ONE paper, right?
A grant proposal is like a term paper, squared. Why? Because there's money on the line. Because many other people depend on the results. Because some proposals are fairly public--with your name on them. And because you're usually proposing to DO something to which you are committed, and it won't happen without this grant. That's why you want it.
Unlike term papers, a grant proposal is PASS/FAIL. You get the grant, or you don't. (There's no useful way to label a partial grant as a B, or C. Stick with the PASS/FAIL view.)
And unlike term papers, you may wait a long time for that result. Three to six months is not unusual. Some take more than twelve months.
If you want to get the grant, support your people, and then DO the thing you proposed, you will need a grant proposal that ROCKS. Mr. Barbato shows you how.
It worked for me. More than once. Best of luck in your quest.
One person found this helpful
on December 5, 2012
I would suggest this a good tool to help with beginning grant writers! If you want to really get all the resources necessary though for a successful fund development process, I would suggest visiting a foundation center: [...] near you. More specifically for this product, it arrived on time in good condition and there was really nothing wrong with the product at all! I would definitely suggest this seller and product. Remember to have an army proof your work and many blessing with the fund development process!
2 people found this helpful
on September 13, 2010
I originally borrowed this book from the library, but I found it so helpful that I purchased a copy for myself to use as a reference. I am very new to grant writing and this book was a great read. It was surprisingly entertaining and very motivational. Not only did it explain how to write grant applications in a simple yet thorough way, it also gives you tips on how to write other fund-raising materials and provides great insight into the workings of a development office. The only thing I would want to see changed about this book is the part about email and the internet. This book was published in 2000 and I'd love to see the authors update that section to reflect the electronic resources available today. Nevertheless, I would definitely recommend this book to others who are new to the non-profit fund-raising world. Even if you aren't so new, the numerous tips and the Down-and-Dirty Proposal Kit at the end may prove to be very useful and help you improve your writing process.
8 people found this helpful
on March 3, 2018
Boring but I had to get it for school
on December 22, 2009
This book is entirely readable, as a coherent work you can start and finish. Throughout, you will find helpful examples, samples, and words of wisdom and encouragement. For a novice grantseeker or grantwriter, this seems like a great overview - for a seasoned veteran, it is a gentle reminder of what the important things are and how to focus on them.
4 people found this helpful
on August 6, 2015
Used this book in a course called Workplace Writing, when we were doing service-learning projects with some local non-profits. Love it.
on October 21, 2013
I wish I had discovered this book when it was published in 2000, when I was a development writer but not yet a grant proposal writer. Its accessible style and no-nonsense yet sympathetic approach make you feel as though you are being mentored by experts who are also close friends. If you have been writing for a good cause for a while, you will still pick up pointers, along with verification that you are doing the right thing. Highly recommended.
on March 12, 2014
It gives great advice on how to start writing a grant for a project you are passionate about such as gardening for me. It had a lot of good suggestions. I borrowed the book first from the library. I loved it so much that I purchased it.

BB
Andrea
on August 4, 2015
Very detailed instructions on grant writing, newsletters, brochures and other tools of the non-profit fundraising trade. Not a new book, but the advice is timeless. Thank you. Well done.
on June 3, 2012
I am new to grant writing so I thought this resource might be of help. I found it provided a number of insights, which in retrospect, seem self evident, but it provided help to avoid common pitfalls in writing grant proposals.
3 people found this helpful