Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 153 reviews
on January 4, 2014
In Written on the Body Jeanette Winterson takes on some fundamental questions: What is love? What is marriage? What do fidelity and responsibility really mean? It is often in examining the extremes that we can find answers. The narrator lives in the extreme - profound restless, intense eagerness, unequivocal passion, turbulent relationships. What can a soul want more than passion - the intense consuming passion that elevates love and life to the umpteenth degree? Passion is the fire of life. Whereas many of us might long for that level of passion and intensity, Winterson not only describes it, but also takes up the question of its sustainability. How can it be sustainable? Can it? Then there are other questions: What does it really mean to truly love another? Should one let the loved one go if it saves their life? If so, can one decide for another? If so, what is life without love? In her brilliant narration, astute observations, sensual descriptions and philosophical musings, Written on the Body celebrates the sensual body and feeds the philosophical mind. Whether it provides answers or not, that is a more complicated question. After all, as Susan Sontag said, "The only interesting answers are those that destroy the questions."
on May 23, 2015
These are the wrong Qs to ask. You read this book for the language and the sensual poetry about love. It is postmodern feminism - really humanism. A story about an enduring love affair. Reminds me superficially of Chris Kraus, but far surpasses that author in linguistic creativity and phenomenological implication.
on March 1, 2017
One of the better books I have. I needed it for an English class and I enjoyed it. There was a lot of substance for a rather short book for me to work with when writing an essay. The book can be somewhat difficult to understand at times, but it is something you can analyze if given the time.
on July 8, 2000
"Written on the body is a secret code only visible in certain lights; the accumulations of a lifetime gather there. In places the palimpsest is so heavily worked that the letters feel like braille. I like to keep my body rolled up away from prying eyes. Never unfold too much, tell the whole story. I didn't know that Louise would have reading hands. She has translated me into her own book." -Jeanette Winterson
A Russian translator speaks about the preoccupation that this person has with women -- a series of women, until Louise comes into this person's life, transforming it forever. Their Love Story is beautifully detailed and lovingly chronicled in heartstopping prose. This writer can create unforgettable paragraphs. Her book is refreshingly put together, and she has used abundant creativity in constructing loving passages, one after another, written on the body -- or rather about the body, and the protagonist's insatiable longing for Louise.
Poignant, pensive, and beautiful -- this book is a joy. The Love Story is magical and wondrous and makes one's heart flutter to read about it. I shall treasure my memories of it. Highly recommended!
on September 13, 2013
Fascinating, passionate, and one of my favorites, Written on the Body has been compared to the Song of Songs. It revels precariously close to hedonism, but stops short due to Winterson's careful intuitive eye; achingly beautiful and harrowingly sad, this novel will plunge you into the metaphysical world of subjectivism and raw emotion for which Jeanette Winterson is so adept. If you don't like feelings this may not be for you; but for the hungry emoter/emotrix (now words, I have decided), you will be unable to get enough.
on September 15, 2016
Incredible story- Wonderful and telling and gripping. SO many emotions flowing through the novel with such relate able characters.
This review is my full and honest opinion after testing and examining all aspects of this product in my own home, for my own use. My goal in reviewing products is to help others, like you, in their search for the best products on Amazon. If I give the product a five star review, that means that I am extremely happy with the product. Five stars means that the product has gone beyond and above my expectations and I would have paid/will pay in the future the full price plus shipping for this product. I will definitely continue to purchase five star products for myself as well as recommend them to my friends and family. Four stars: If I give the product four stars, this means that I really like the product and I have found a good use for it. The product function as intended and serves it's purpose well. It is likely that I would purchase this product again in the future. Three stars: If I rate a product at three stars, that means that I am satisfied with the product, but I do not believe it is the best in its product area, therefore I would definitely search for other products within that area the next time I purchase. Two Stars: If I give the product two stars, that means that i am not impressed. I would not purchase the product again. There maybe elements of the product that are not exactly defective, but are not desirable. One Star: If I give the product one star, I am unsatisfied with the product/does not work/it is defective. I would definitely not purchase this product again.
on July 28, 2014
Had I been given the book without a title or the author's name, I would have guessed it was one of Winterson's. A song to LOVE. Genuine feelings beautifully expressed. At moments, poetic prose. After reading the Passion, I tried Written on the Body and will go on to her latest. Unmissable.
on January 22, 2016
I don't care for romance novels, but wow... I read this book for a class and it is by far one of my favorite. Winterson has a way with words. I could barely put the book down at times--that good.
on March 2, 2016
This book is about love, relationships, loss, and with a light of hope at the end. I keep going back to ready certain verses that speaks of my own experience or fantasies.
on December 10, 2013
Her lover lost a long battle with cancer and from those years with her, this book
Even if you've led a fortunate life, you'll love this books beauty.
This is my favorite book by her because it connects with my life. I lost many friends and lovers to the 1st wave of AIDS. My too many of my friends or lovers who were co-workers died.