Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

Loved this film. It's a difficult one to review without spoilers, so I am going to be quite careful here... First off, bottom line up front, rent this one right now if you are a fan of the X-Men movies and spinoffs. Having seen them all (multiple times) I can recommend this one without hesitation.

OK, so what made it so fun? First, the acting is top notch. Of course, with such an A-list cast, perhaps that's to be expected. But, I can say no one "mailed in" their performance. Jackman, Lawrence, all of them played their roles to the hilt. I particularly enjoyed Charles Xavier throughout, from his drunken, darker moments, to the later portions (again, avoiding spoilers).

The threat posed by the enemy, especially at the beginning of the film, actually had me wondering how they were going to defeat them. Normally, those things are somewhat easy to sort out, but - as you will see in the opening scenes - these are not your usual villains... The personal struggles of the main characters were believable and interesting to watch unfold.

Finally, the pure fun of the film, the excellent CGI, and the action (obviously the cornerstones of these films) not only did not disappoint, but improved on the previous films.

So, with all those non-spoilers, I hope I have conveyed that, if you are on the fence about this one, it is definitely worth the rental!!!
DoFP is easily my favorite X-Men movie at the moment. I've read the comic, and watched the 90s animated series version of it, so I'm well aware of the changes made to the movie, but they didn't detract from the well-written story and good follow-up with First Class that it is. Everyone on the cast does their absolute best within their roles, but I felt McAvoy and Fassbender really took the cake here in regards to acting.

Interesting scenes, while there were several, I am still amazed at how well done the jailbreak sequence with Quicksilver was. However, it would've been nice if a line or two were thrown in as to why he couldn't continue to help the rest of the group. The sentinels did a good job of showing how desperate a situation they made it for everyone in the future, but I would've liked a bit more insight as to they were largely unknown until this storyline. Also, even for a fictional movie based on a comic book, the future sentinels seemed downright impossible given their advanced technology, allowing them to have several mutant powers of their own, was modeled after Mystique's ability to 'appear' like other people.

This movie also stars Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, for the sixth time. I like the character of Wolverine/Logan/James Howlette(?)... but I like a lot of other X-Men characters too. I fully understand why he was given the lead role here, and it makes sense within the context presented in the movie as well, but let's face it, Fox simply can't compete with the Marvel(Disney) studios quality of movies of the last few years so why not bring in some more popular characters that fans can get equally attached to? Hopefully this is what happens in Age of Apocalypse, as well as the other stand-alone movies that have been announced/hinted at, but for the time being I will enjoy this golden age of comic movies for as long as it lasts. If you happen to be a fan of this genre I would definitely recommend checking out Days of Future Past.
on September 4, 2016
A fun romp through the (cinematic version of the) history of the X-Men, with the usual "Oh, WOW!" level special effects and a cast who seem to actually have some respect for their characters.

I kept the 5th star in my pocket due to a couple of small but annoying plot holes, the apparent ease with which some characters seem to suddenly agree with Logan/Wolverine, and a depiction of Magneto's power at a level that stretched my willing suspension of disbelief pretty hard. (This in a film where my only reaction to the powers of Blink, Raven/Mystique, Storm, et al was a happy smile... oh, well.) Also, anyone not familiar with a number of the featured characters will likely spend several minutes going, "Wait, what...?!?" at the beginning of the film and maybe also 2-3 times as the story unfolds.

The reproduction of 1970s NYC and Washington, DC, although imperfect, were more than good enough to be plenty of fun; the same goes for Nixon & co. There are just enough intentionally silly/funny moments throughout the film to keep the dark side of the story where it belongs, and while the ending may be a tad too neat & clean for some fans I found it logical & satisfying.
on October 20, 2014
This was another milestone for the steam rolling juggernaut that is the Marvel Comics right now. Who would have ever believed that ( as a kid, I read these comics all the time) one day, thirty years later they would be a huge market for the Marvel universe. But cream always rises to the top. In music, the Rolling Stones and ZZ top are still rolling along. And now the comics are coming; one success after another! Okay, review time for this particular vid.

First, let me say, I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence. She was stellar in the hunger games. The girl can act! But....as Mystique...not so much. Don't get me wrong...she did a great job of actually "acting" the part. Until this movie, Mystique didn't have many lines in the movie. But there is just something more ...animal about the model that played Mystique in all the other ones. She was waaaay smoother. She was like silk when she moved. She did most of the cartwheel-ish fighting scenes herself. And Jennifer just wasn't that graceful. The first Mystique was more feline. Jennifer was a bit stiff.

And Jennifer Lawrence cheated....she wore a body suit. The original Mystique wasn't wearing anything but blue paint.....whoa..Alright now, I'm not a perve, I'm jus' sayin.

And of course anything with Wolverine in it, is going to be good. Ol' Jack has got that part nailed. This "back to the future past thing was a cool romp. And for once the ending was joyous! A total triumph. Wolverine even gets his beloved Gene back. AWESOME! But to be honest, if I was Wolverine I probably would have went after the little Asian hottie from the last Title movie "Wolverine." I guess though, he knew she would age, and he would not, immortality can be rough.
on July 22, 2017
Great movie! While the timeline/events of the X-Men movies changes and rearranges based on retcons and revamps, this movie is pretty darn good. I have a bit of a soft spot for X-Men: First Class as my all-time favorite of the movies, and this one isn't quite as good, but it's well made and has some very nice special effects and action sequences. It's a pretty good follow-up to the emotional character development of Charles, Erik, Raven and Hank that we get in First Class, showing where their relationships have led them in the next decade or so. While it lacks the heartwrenching moments of their backstories, it does show a little bit more of what makes those characters into the mutants that we all know and love.

As said above, the effects are good, especially those of some of the newly introduced mutants. Blink, in particular, had quite pretty sequences, and everything with Quicksilver had me practically dying laughing when I wasn't glued to the screen in amazement at his action shots. Evan Peters was wonderful, and Peter Dinklage gave another brilliant performance. The score and soundtrack choices were great, and the script was well-written. All in all, it was a pretty good movie, and definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of the X-Men franchise.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 30, 2015
This movie, while not as good as X-Men First Class, is still a great addition to the XMen movie universe. Featuring both the original cast (Patrick Stewart, Sir Ian McKellan, Ellen Page, etc) as well as the new cast (James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, etc) and of course Hugh Jackman who has appeared in every X-Men movie to date if I'm not mistaken. The story features multiple timelines as the mutants struggle for survival and peaceful coexistence with humanity and deals heavily with the consequences of one's choices and such. Features some excellent action scenes and great performances by the main cast as well as what I think is the best high speed/slow mo scene ever done in a movie.

My main gripe is that Peter Dinklage is very underused in his role. He's a phenomenal actor and deserved more screen time and better dialogue.
on June 1, 2016
I'm 76 years old. My son lives out of the States, and when he returns, on a visit, we go to the movies. He wants to go to see the new X-Men Apocalypse on his coming visit, and told me to watch this movie, plus X-Men First Class,, as "homework" so I'll understand the characters when we go to the theater. I must say the 2 movies were excellent. I was able to follow the plot line - not something I can say for all comic book inspired movies, in the past. Looking forward to seeing the latest one.
on December 22, 2014
The movie itself is enjoyable, though I'm not a big fan of 'time travel in order to reset the Marvel universe and bring the potential for returning a lot of characters (still want to know how Professor X came back).

The 3D effects are decent, it didn't seem to overly dark, though for the most part it just seemed to add some depth to the viewing experience. Some of the best effects came during the scene in the Pentagon kitchen.
on February 2, 2018
I wasn't sure what to expect from this one. The original comic books were among my favorite X-Men story arcs, and I knew there were big changes (most notably, changing the focus from Kitty to Wolverine). So I was quite leery about it. And it was drastically different.

But they actually managed to keep the... feel, for lack of a better term, despite changing most of the specifics. I walked away very happy with what came out of it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 1, 2014
Where to begin? Could they have crammed any more plot devices in this chapter of the franchise? I love comic books, so I try to check out every comic based movie that gets released. The special effects were outstanding, no doubt about it. I enjoyed seeing the original cast take up their roles again. I really wanted to see more of th e First Class characters though. Havoc especially. He isone of my favorite X-Men. I was torn between 3 and 4 stars, but I am in a good mood, so I am going with 4.