Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 3, 2014
John Ottman is certainly no stranger when it comes to superhero films. He has done both Fantastic Four films, Superman Returns, and X2. His best, from my collection, is probably Astro Boy. The cool thing about having done X2 is that Ottman reprises a theme that he established in that movie and brings it over for this movie too. The X-Men films have really gone through some composers and each has a unique interpretation for these characters musically. Some are a little bland and typical while others really stand out. My favorite from the X-Men franchise is Henry Jackman's First Class score. The other's are ok...but not something I find myself listening to very often.

This particular score by Ottman seems to be very....quiet. There is a lot of "soul searching" music here. Tracks like "Hope" (3), "I Found Them" (4), "He Lost Everything" (7), "How Was She" (9), "All Those Voices" (10), "Contacting Raven" (12), "Rules of Time" (13), "Join Me" (17), and "Do What You Were Made For" (18) are the slow thought provoking pieces that really do sound quite nice. My favorite of these is "Hope", track 3. Some of the action music starts rather subdued as well but eventually builds to what I imagine as some pretty incredible fight scenes. "Paris Pandemonium" really starts to pick up with some awesome rhythms and percussion but dies really quickly into mystery/horror music. No fault of Ottman...he has to compose the music the way the film tells the story.

We have some very James Bond sounding espionage music here too. "Pentagon Plan" and "Springing Erik" are two that remind me of something from an episode of Leverage. I haven't seen the movie...but I am sure that it works for the film very well.

This is a very quiet soundtrack in my opinion, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It can be very sad and slightly depressing at times...but then musically we hear that hint of hope. I think this captures the essence of the X-Men very well. They are a different kind of superhero. They are cool...but boy do they have problems...and I'm not talking about "I forgot my homework...or Does Mary Jane like me" stuff. They are shunned, hated, hunted, and got some pretty screwed up personal issues. They need this music. I think you can have more enjoyment and appreciation for it when you take it into context. The standout track for me, as I said, is track 3 entitled "Hope". It really captures this well and should be an X-Men anthem. It's simple rhythmic bass with single piano notes typed out is amazing.

This isn't music to daydream that you are one of the X-Men. It's music that gives you a hint of what it is like to live as one.
on June 29, 2014
Wonderful and evocative soundtrack that is a perfect compliment to the movie. Also includes Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle cut which they use perfectly when the super fast kid {quicksilver, maybe?} runs around the Pentagon manipulating the guards and bullets; an extremely fun scene to watch in the movie. Superb work by John Ottman and absolutely recommended {as is the movie}!!
on October 25, 2014
When I got this Soundtrack for X-Men: Days of Future Past, I was over joyed. It is really quite affordable, and it's just an awesome soundtrack to have from John Ottman. This was totally worth the money!
on June 15, 2014
Very beautiful non generic score, that perfectly evokes the loss & hopelessness of Xavier & Mystique. the desperation of Wolverine & the X-Men, and the menace of Magneto.
on November 19, 2014
This is honestly overall the weakest entry in the X-men franchise soundtrack department. While it's nice that Ottman returned, much of the soundtrack is relatively subdued and ambient in comparison to his far superior work for X-2. Xavier's theme, while somewhat simple in composition, is nevertheless poignant and effective in the film. The main theme is brilliant, of course, but not used nearly enough, certainly in comparison to X-2. It would have interesting to see how the score would have turned out if John Powell was hired, as his score for X-men 3 was actually top-notch, even if the film was the weakest in the trilogy.
on September 19, 2014
This soundtrack gets it right for the dark and dramatic tone of the movie. John Ottman was able to get all the dramatic elements of the film into the tracks. It was great to hear the original X-Men theme again while also seeing the original cast. There are influences of Hans Zimmer and Michael Kamen (RIP) in several of the songs. He does it so well that it doesn't sound like a copycat version. Whenever I hear one of the songs I can remember what scene it played in. He knows how to make the music fit with the scenes like he did with X2.
on July 22, 2015
This soundtrack is the perfect meld of 70's and present day tracks. Even the theme for Xavier is truly motivational. There isn't a single track on this album that doesn't make you feel that your not watching the movie.
on June 22, 2015
Not as good as the X-Men First Class soundtrack IMO, but still some good tracks here.
on July 12, 2016
It is excellent, because it gives me fun time and relax one also.

When I Lisen to it, remains me of the best part of X-Men future pass movie, something that is good for me.
on July 29, 2014
The best song on here, 'Hope,' doesn't sound as cool as it does in the movie. Can't explain it, but I am disappointed in this one.