Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 91 reviews
on April 28, 2017
I had a dream of writing my own X-Men comic that dealt with the harsh realities of being a mutant in a world fearful of mutants. It would really dive into the deep, dark heart of those who hate mutants through the perspective of young mutants coming face to face with the depressing reality they live in. It would have pitted Xavier's high ideals against the vitriolic hate of the oppressive masses.

It turns out Chris Claremont already wrote that story like 30 years before I thought of it and did it way better than I had imagined it in my head. It was called God Loves, Man Kills.
on February 18, 2017
Very powerful story coming from a comic book! The second X-Men movie was partly based on this comic, but the story in the comic is wayyyyy better. I highly recommend if you want to revisit some of the old story lines or if you missed this one back in the day. For the younger readers, this is considered a classic and you should probably give it a look.
on April 24, 2017
I love this story. It's a very timely look at how words can due serious harm when they are weaponized against a small minority population. Better yet, it shows just how dangerous religion can be...It's an interesting look at William Stryker (a bit different from his X2 movie portrayal) as he leads a crusade against the unholy mutant menace.

You can't go wrong when Claremont is in control of these characters and Anderson's art really makes you feel just how dark this story line is. Think of this 70 page book as an over sized issue because you would be able to put it down until you're finished reading. I think that's what I love about it, I can sit down and easily read through it in an hour. It is a complete story line contained within these pages and I enjoy that.
on May 24, 2017
I love the X-Men. This was a great book. I enjoyed reading this book very much. I love the characters.
on May 24, 2017
Amazing art, story, and concept. Worth adding to your collection!
on May 12, 2014
This is truly a great story, and I'm glad I own it, but I had heard so much about this story before I read it that I left it thinking, "that's what all the fuss was about?" Maybe it's because the story so closely follows the plot of the second X-Men film so nothing that happened was all that shocking to me, but I expected a bit more.

That being said, it's definitely worth picking up. It boils the conflict between the X-Men and bigoted humans down to its core and does it with plenty of emotion. The artwork was better in some spots than others.

Overall, I'd recommend this, whether you're an X-Men fan or not.
on September 28, 2014
Another strong entry into the X-Men lore by Chris Claremont and drawn by Brent Anderson. This story of a televangelist crusading against mutant-kind was the primary inspiration for Bryan Singer's X-2: X-Men United. Claremont has an unparalleled understanding of these characters and what makes them tick, and his wonderful writing is brought to life in Anderson's beautiful artwork. This is an absolute must for X-Men fans.
on July 18, 2011
If I was ever going to introduce a friend or relative to the world of X-Men this is the graphic novel I would start with. Reverend Striker represents how hate and belief can form a deadly combination as he uses religion as an excuse to hide a much more personal vendetta against mutants. The story served as the basis for the second X-Men movie and the alliance with Magneto is the most indicative of this aspect. However, after viewing the movie and the material its based on I hold a clear preference for this graphic novel. This is a phenomenal piece graphic novel the stands with Claremont's best. Furthermore, it's an amazing piece of literature and you'd be doing yourself a favor by picking it up.
on April 20, 2017
If you're an X-Men fan, you've gotta read this. One of the best and its super relevant. The art is a little dated, but I personally really liked it.
on July 15, 2016
This was one of the first trades I read when I started with comics. And it's as true today as it was when I first read it.

I was afraid I'd never find it again, but Amazon had it!

A chilling look at how fanaticism can take hold.