Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 10, 2017
I wanted a flight simulator to practice "the scan", the required checking of all important gauges during instrument flight. Microsoft FS went dead and no longer works since the latest Windows 10 update due to conflicts with the DVD copyright method, and even the no-CD patch available on line no longer works. So I investigated X-Plane.

Before you buy an X-Plane 9 DVD set, there are certain problems and issues you need to be aware of. First, just because this is an older program, don't think that it is not highly demanding of your hardware, especially your video card. I run an Intel dual-core 3.00 GHz processor with on-board video, admittedly a rather modest system. With X-Plane 9 I immediately received pop-ups that I had way too many rendering options that required higher video power. No problem, I was not interested in fancy scenery anyways, so I set it all to minimums. But you should know that X-Plane needs a lot of video processing power.

On three different DVD sets the sceneries did not load. Turns out this is a well established chronic problem with X-Plane 9. As a result I was limited to flying around Aachen, Duesseldorf, and Liege, Belgium. What is very frustrating is that the program offeres you a huge list of airports, but then after loading an airport it says with a pop-up: "There is no scenery installed for this area. You will just see ocean around this airport." The problem is that with no scenery you also have no nav-aids, no VORs, nothing.

If you install sceneries available on the web, the program simply crashes, even if you install it very carefully and preserve the exact file structure the program needs.

So I started flying around Germany with a Cessna 172. Much like the one in FS, this Cessna is not anything like its real-life name-sake. It's violently unstable. You let go of the yoke and it goes into a sudden roll and crashes within about 5 seconds. You cannot adjust the sensitivity of the yoke, so you spend a lot of time recovering from dives, stalling climbs, and rolls left and right. Ridiculous and completely unrealistic.

So, if you think you can get an older version of this program and run it on a modest machine, think again. It will not happen. My conclusion is that X-Plane appears to be very promising, and I intend to purchase the new X-Plane 11 since it has a modest price tag. However, to run it I need a real "gamer" machine, minimum price tag probably around $ 700.00. The emphasis needs to be on a powerful video card. Anything short of that will probably not work.
on March 5, 2012
If you are a gamer you can stop reading my review now. If you are a flight enthusiast and want to literally learn how to fly multiple aircraft this is an unbeatable program. From the SR-71 Blackbird to a little 2 seat Cessna this program gives you full control of your selected aircraft's panel. You literally fly the plane/jet utilizing it's actual controls and you can do a full tilt and pan around the aircraft as you are in flight. You can also set it to record the flight path and then review it to assist in improving your skills. NOT A GAME....this is an amazing tool used to train pilots worldwide.....if you are after explosions and other game like stuff it ain't gonna happen here. You can crash the aircraft if you want for thrills... Kudos to the seller for getting me the 6 DVD set very quickly. You will need between 60-70GB of storage if you want to load the scenery for the entire world. Otherwise I suggest loading a quadrant or two just to practice or if you are limited on your hard drive. Much fun...
on February 7, 2017
It's OK but didn't live up to the hype. It might be my computer but, FS is much better on my system.
on May 5, 2016
Game is ok, don't like that you need to keep a disk in to play. There is a lot of functions and things that can be changed, which is good if you know what they all do, but for your average gamer that just wants to fly some planes is can be too much.
on November 12, 2017
a++
on June 25, 2016
Much improved over Microsoft Flight simulator that I used before. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is it would lock up my computer sometimes, even with a compatible video card. Not sure if it is a problem with the program or my computer. Just beware of how much ram is required when buying this product.
on March 12, 2012
I have flown X-Plane 9 since 2008 and loved it. All version upgrades until X-Plane 10 are free. X-Plane 10 has just recently been released. I have purchased three sets of XP9, the first as mentioned, then one for my brother so we could fly online together and this set for myself in order to set up a copilot station on a second computer. My brother has had several problems, one on installation and then issues with the graphics. This particular iteration would not install at all. I suspect it to be corrupt since the program asked for X-Plane 10 disc 1 to be installed and would not continue. Numerous attempts, even with a downloaded installer failed. X-plane has been notified and Amazon as always has made sure I'm happy with my purchses.
on October 31, 2016
Works O.K. with my Saitek Yoke & Throttle controls. Nice Graphics. Unfortunately, I cannot extend the image over three monitors. Image is only imposed on the main middle monitor of a three monitor setup.
on February 3, 2012
I played X-plane 8 for years, and was looking forward to XP9. However, like many reviewers, I had trouble getting it to run. My system meets or exceeds all of the "minimum requirements", and all of the "peripheral" applications run (Plane-maker, Airfoil-maker, X-plane updater) but the main game hangs when I try to start it, and gives me an unfinished display. It appears to be the "start" of a cockpit panel, but does not get far enough into the program to even allow me a toolbar to use for configuration. I still hope to resolve the problem, as I really enjoyed XP8. I will post any solutions I might stumble across.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2016
Light years ahead of MS Flight simulator. Version 9 is the best for an average computer. To go with version 10 you need a lot more horsepower.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.