Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo (MSCCPP)” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 38% off the $119.00 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
X-Rite ColorChecker Passport Photo (MSCCPP)
|Price:||$83.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$35.01 (29%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Ideal for photographers shooting still images in a Raw workflow
- Creates professional, custom camera profiles in minutes using the industry standard 24 patch Classic target.
- Combines 3 photographic color-balance targets into one pocket size protective, multi-positionable patented case that adjusts to any scene
- EXCLUSIVE X-RITE TECHNOLOGY! Dual Illuminant profile creation - takes into account two different light sources to create a single profile which can be applied to a variety of lighting conditions
- Easy to use with Adobe® Lightroom® Plug-In or stand alone software for use in other image editing software
- Use Creative Enhancement target to quickly check and evaluate shadow details or highlight clipping; understand and control color shifting or neutralize and create a look with one click.
- Take one step closer to professional results creating custom, in-camera white-balance. Capturing a consistent white point in a set of images allows for adjustments to different lighting conditions and helps eliminate color casting
- Supported by several 3rd party software programs
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Item Dimensions||1.75 x 11 x 8.5 inches|
|Item Weight||0.5 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||0.3 pounds|
From the Manufacturer
- Microsoft Windows XP 32 or 64 bit (with latest Service Pack installed)
- Microsoft Windows Vista® 32 or 64 bit (with latest Service Pack installed)
- Microsoft Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit (with latest Service Pack installed)
- 512MB RAM
- Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP or better CPU
- 200 MB of available disk space
- User must have Administrator rights to install, uninstall the application.
- Monitor resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher
- Internet connection required for software update
- Mac OSX 10.5.x, 10.6, or 10.7 (with the latest updates installed)
- G4 Processor or higher (Intel recommended)
- 512 MB RAM
- 350 MB of available disk space
- User must have Administrator rights to install and uninstall the application
- Monitor resolution of 1024x768 pixels or higher
- Internet connection required for software update
ColorChecker Passport is a powerful 'capture to edit' color solution for any photographer looking for more accurate, consistent color and creative flexibility. And when you combine ColorChecker Passport with Adobe® Imaging solutions you'll gain even greater benefits. ColorChecker Passport combines three photographic targets into one pocket size protective, self-standing case that adjusts to any scene. Together with the included camera calibration software, you get the ultimate in functionality, flexibility and portability.
There are so many ways to incorporate X-Rite ColorChecker Passport into your Raw workflow. Whether you take advantage of the entire solution, or just a couple of ColorChecker Passport's many features, you'll realize improved quality and productivity almost immediately.
CREATIVE ENHANCEMENT TARGET
Two rows of warming and cooling patches in the middle guide you to create pleasing and repeatable edits. Creatively refine the color of your image by adding warmth to skin tones or boost the deep greens or blues in a landscape. Simply click through the patches to view the adjustment, and select the one that provides your optimal look. Then, save the setting and apply it to other images that were shot under that same lighting to create pleasing edits - it's that easy!
When it comes to clipping, the Enhancement target highlights the power of working in Raw. A row of clipping patches across the bottom serve as a visual reference for judging, controlling and editing images for shadow details or highlight clipping. Although it may appear from a preview that shadow or highlight details have been lost, it is possible that the processing software just clipped them and they are still available in the Raw file. With some careful adjustments, you may be able to bring them back.
The clipping patches are separated into two groups: light and dark. The light patches are ordered with 1/3 of an F-stop difference between them. The dark patches are ordered the same, with the exception of the last patch; which represents the blackest patch in the ColorChecker target. The exposure difference between the darkest and next darkest patch is approximately 1/10th of a stop, and the dynamic range of the target is about 32:1 (5 stops). In Adobe applications, use these patches along with the clipping preview to ensure you are not losing details.
Across the top of the Enhancement target, the top HSL (hue, saturation, lightness) row includes 8 spectrum patches to ensure color fidelity across all hues so you can evaluate and edit for any color shifts.
WHITE BALANCE TARGET
The ColorChecker White Balance target is an all-new spectrally flat target that provides a neutral reference point across different lighting conditions that you encounter during a photo shoot. Since the target reflects light equally across the visible spectrum, creating an in-camera custom white balance can properly compensate for varying lighting. You'll be able to:
- Eliminate color casts
- Improve the color preview on your camera's display so your histograms are more reliable
- Make post production color editing faster and easier by eliminating the need to neutralize each image individually
Setting a custom white balance for each lighting situation will make the previews on your camera's built in display more color correct, make your histograms more reliable, and speed up post production color editing. Raw shooters can capture anytime during the session to gain these benefits, while JPEG shooters should make it your first shot.
The ColorChecker Passport includes a travel-sized version of the Classic 24 patch target. When combined with camera calibration software you can produce DNG profiles of your camera's response to scene lighting to get consistent, predictable and repeatable results from image to image and camera to camera.
The Classic target also provides a visual point of color reference. Photograph it in the same lighting as your images; then open it in your photo processing software as a reference to help with color correction. Each of the 24 color patches represents the colors of natural objects, such as sky blue, skin tones and leaf green; and each patch reflects light just like its real world counterpart. Each square is individually colored using a solid tone to produce pure, flat, rich color without dots or mixed tints.
The Classic can help you make global corrections based on accurate information. If you shoot a large number of images that all require the same color correction, you know that editing a few key photos and applying your changes can sometimes change colors you didn't intend to be changed. A shot of the ColorChecker Classic captured under the same lighting as your images will provide a point of reference, so you can see exactly how changes will affect the rest of your colors before you apply them. Since your changes can be applied to one photo or a group of images, you'll achieve consistency throughout your images.
CAMERA CALIBRATION SOFTWARE With the included ColorChecker Passport Camera Calibration Application and Lightroom® Plug-In, you can quickly and easily build DNG profiles for Adobe® Imaging solutions including Lightroom®, Photoshop®, Photoshop® Elements, Camera Raw (ACR) and Adobe® Bridge.
This new advanced profiling technology provides excellent results with just the small 24-patch ColorChecker Classic target, producing DNG profiles that work exceptionally well, even in unusual artificial light sources. Plus, software auto-detection will locate the target automatically. Whether you are shooting with just one camera or multiple cameras, you'll easily establish an accurate color foundation and maintain control of your colors. A very powerful feature of the software is the ability to create dual-illuminant DNG profiles. This type of profile takes into account two different light sources to create a single profile, which can be applied to an even wider variety of lighting conditions. Dual-Illuminant profiles can be made with any two of twenty-one supported illuminants, allowing you to create a profile for just about any kind of lighting condition you may encounter. Dual-illuminant profiles allow you the freedom to move between the represented lighting conditions without switching profiles.
- Camera calibration for Raw shooters enables greater capability to calibrate and correct color
- Accurate color gives a consistent foundation for creative interpretation
- Minimize color differences between cameras and lenses
- Adapt for mixed lighting
- Make color balance match across different scenes
SHOOTING JPEG NOT RAW?
You'll still gain many great benefits when you include ColorChecker Passport in your workflow.
White Balance Target
- Ensure your JPEG files are captured with the correct white point
- Eliminate the chance of any extreme white balance errors which cannot be corrected later in JPEG workflow
- Save time on post production edits of each individual shot
Creative Enhancement Target
- Evaluate and optimize shadow details or highlight clipping with gray ramp patches
- Use as visual reference for color spectrum and color adjustment with HSL (hue, saturation, lightness) patches
- Warm or cool images
- Photograph the Classic target in the same lighting as your images and use as a visual reference to help with color correction
Top Customer Reviews
Before I go on, let me clarify that I use this system with Photoshop ACR, not with Lightroom. Since the software does not install as a Plug-In to Photoshop (as it does with Lightroom), I have to use it as a "stand-alone" program. This isn't a hardship, but it is a distinction, and my review is based on this scenario only.
Another important fact is that for the purposes of creating profiles, this program requires that at least the profile-generating image be in .DNG so, whatever program you use to process your RAW captures has to be able to save as .DNG.
The process is simple: you shoot a series of photographs under a particular set of circumstances; you select one that is typical of the conditions present in the whole series; you save it as a .DNG; you open the "stand alone" Passport program; you open that representative image and tell it to create a profile based on it; you give the profile a descriptive name. The profile it creates will automatically appear in the camera profile drop-down menu in the Camera Calibration tab within ACR. You open the rest of the images in ACR and apply the profile to all of them as the first step in your RAW processing.
So far, I have successfully created two profiles for one of the cameras. It will be necessary, over time, to create a separate profile for each shooting situation for each camera.Read more ›
I found the process of creating your camera profile and it being integrated into lightroom a real blessing!
If I reviewed this at the time I bought it I would have given it 5 stars but there were some colors that were too saturated. I was hoping with the update of the software, things would improve.
Unfortunately, after I recently updated the software to 1.0.2, the accuracy even deteriorated more significantly. Luckily I still kept the previous profiles I made with the previous version of the software so I could compare.
The problems I encountered with the updated version are as follows:
1. Some colors have become way too saturated and too dark. The reds and pinks are particularly nasty such that when the profile is applied the resulting colors are so unnatural. They even wash out detail due to the intense colors. And it was already too saturated to begin with.
2. The color profiles from the same image of the checker is different if made in lightroom and in the color checker passport software. The one in the color checker has some overall color cast evident.
I've tried out redoing the procedures over and over again. Tried different settings. Researched as much info and went through everything over and over again, yet I cannot come up with a profile that produces accurate results. So, I am relying on the earlier profiles I've made which were better yet still had problems.Read more ›
The new X-rite passport ROCKS..! plain and simple.. it is easy to use, naively with lightroom, and easy with PhaseOne Capture. The quality of the profiles is not quite matching the digital camera checker, but nobody in their right mind would expect that. The passport create a very use-able profile in a matter of seconds.
Here is how it works.
1. snap a shot with the passport in the same light as you are working.
2. select image in Lightroom, then select EXPORT and export to X-rite.. this will create a profile, I suggest naming the profile by the date and album it applies to.
3. restart lightroom, go to develop, select the profile in camera profile, then sync to the rest of the album.
NOTE - if you have several lighting environments in the same folder, shoot a passport shot for each light change, then apply to the images which matches that passport.
The card also have a set of off-white patches for warming or cooling portraits and another set for landscape, use them to set the whitepoint in a image to warm or cool as desired.
X-rite have made available a very well designed instruction video for download from their site.
Overall, this is a very successful product, it does what I expected and it does it well. If you shoot digital and am concerned about color management, this is a MUST HAVE product.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Amazing product. Really well manufactured.
Worthe every cent.
I like the product and I can see the difference when using the preset in lightroom with my photos. It's a bit expensive for what it is but I get very good results, so, it is worth... Read morePublished 11 days ago by Ivan
There are 3 good uses for this, which is why I would recommend other YouTubers buy it. First, white balancing to one of the grey squares with my NEX-5T will make this color checker... Read morePublished 28 days ago by JBitD