Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 272 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 313 reviews
This is an excellent entry-level laptop with decent performance, a nice bright screen, and a light footprint at about 5 pounds. It also has a smaller a/c adapter sort of like an iPad instead of the older style "bricks" which is nice - I'm surprised it's taking manufacturers so long to copy Apple's lead in the small a/c adapter area. The keyboard does feel exceedingly cheap (much cheaper than my $299 HP Chromebook) and the entire keyboard vibrates as you are typing. If you push down on the "G" key with normal force, you will see that entire part of the keyboard (T,F,H,V,B) sink in which is a little disconcerting. The keyboard is definitely the weak link in this system. ALSO, it pays you to shop around.... there is a major price war going on and I was able to buy this at a local office supply chain which matched the price at the big box electronics store down the street....both of which were significantly less than the current price here on Amazon. ONE MORE TIP: There are two models of this computer that are identical EXCEPT one has a DVD player and one does not. As of this writing the one without has been hovering around $200 and the one with the DVD player is around $220. It is very easy to get them confused as they have the same box and almost the same model number, so be sure to look for the full model number when you are searching: X551MAV-RCLN06. Both boxes will say "X551" in big letters but you have to read the small print next to the serial number to make sure you are getting the correct one. I ordered this one and was shipped the non-DVD drive unit by an Amazon seller and had to return it.

Wow, this keyboard is really cheap.. I'm typing this review on it and it keeps dropping letters as I type. I will update this review as I'm concerned if it's this bad in week one it will not last.

Pro's and Con's...

Pro's:
- Price
- Basic black, not stylish but doesn't scream "cheap"... just looks like a basic laptop
- Great screen - bright, good resolution
- Fast enough for word processing and internet surfing. This is obviously not a gaming computer.
- Small profile a/c adapter brick, one piece
- NO bloatware preinstalled.... no "Click on this for Ebay" links or trial versions of bad virus software
- Really fast boot... 2-4 seconds
- Windows 8 not so bad once you install free utility called "Classic Shell" which makes start button etc work like Windows 7
- Major price war going on with this computer, so you will get a good deal
- USB ports, one of which is 3.0, also HDMI out and ethernet connections. Everything you could need.
- DVD player / writer, works well... still need one of these.

Con's:

- Touchpad sensitivity.... way too sensitive and I've searched all the ASUS gesture configurations and there seems to be NO adjustment for sensitivity. Google ASUS touchpad sensitivity and there are major threads on this so clearly a significant issue that ASUS is not effectively addressing.
- Keyboard. Exceedingly cheap. OMG. As I type this it sounds like a rock rolling around on a dashboard of a car as you drive it. The whole thing shakes and shimmies. I think I can live with this but will update this review if I can't. Try it out at local store first if you can.

For me, the pro's outweigh the con's, with a lingering concern about the keyboard. If there is interest, I will update this review as I use this system more, but overall I think it's a good one and I will end up keeping it.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE ONE YEAR LATER:
This laptop has not been a great purchase for us. It appears it has been replaced with a newer model so perhaps that one is better, but the touchpad has been terrible on this one -- very unreliable even with driver updates etc.... and even though I've kept it virus-free, the computer has slowed down considerably with a frequent "spinning blue circle" as the computer struggles to process the most basic of tasks. So this goes into the "regretted purchase" category for me -- I won't purchase another ASUS after this experience. Meanwhile my 2 year old Chromebook is still going strong and I love it.... (using it right now to write this review!)
66 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2014
I just found the laptop came with a screw missing! I guess that's what causes the intermittent malfunction of the USB ports. I trusted the quality of ASUS.:(
review image
on October 12, 2016
ASUS X551 15-Inch Laptop [OLD VERSION]

If you read any of my reviews, then you are aware that I am ill. As time goes on, I decline and I can no longer work. I use a computer a lot, and have one that's loaded with all of my special software etc...it's a working computer, and with everything on it, getting on the internet was getting to be slow. My husband originally bought me a Chromebook to use when I just wanted to browse etc...I hated it...granted I did not give it much of a chance, I just wanted a laptop and when I saw this, we replaced the Chromebook with this, and I am typing the review from this laptop. I'm coming up on two years, and I have to say I have been using this more than my working laptop. It's much lighter than my other laptop and initially I was whizzing all over the net. Then as time went by, and I am absolutely part of the problem by leaving way too much open and not deleting my cache etc...she was crawling, so I have had to start from scratch on this, but it was totally my own fault for not taking the time to do the basic pc maintenance like deleting cookies etc...Once I reformatted, my machine was whizzing once again, and since then I have made sure I do the regular maintenance along with some extra check ups. Since staying up with that, there is a huge difference in my internet or even computer experience. I would consider this a basic laptop, although it did come with some decent software, and when I purchased this it was Windows 8, I was able to upgrade to 10 for free, and the operating system, minus that last hiccup, has just gotten better and better, My other laptop has a 17 inch screen, and honestly, the 15 inch one is perfect. It doesn't look like it's only 15 inches, but it is. While this is considered "The Old Version" the only thing I noticed between this one and the newer version is the touchscreen ability. The framework is in here, but not all of the elements...and having a touchscreen was not a priority, having a light laptop was the priority at a reasonable price. I've known about Acer since the Pentium 1 (yeah I just aged myself right there), and they were like the IT departments little secret..a reliable computer at a reasonable price. I have purchased several other brands as well, but have always had good luck with my Acer laptops. As mentioned earlier, this was supposed to be for when I just wanted to play...and my other one was pretty much my life....I rarely even use the other laptop anymore, and find I like this one as it is much lighter, I learned my lesson and I clean up my computer now so it does not drag, and while I have a ton of hard drive space, I push everything up to the cloud(s) and a few other places. This keeps my laptop almost like it was out of the box, the only difference might be programs I have downloaded. My husband had his for 4 years and just replaced it a few weeks ago....If you're buying this for someone, find out how they use their laptop. This model is not for the die hard gamer...this is for the home user and I can even see it being used in a smaller business (this model). I'm able to get what I need done on the internet, I have the tools I need for a small business, and great security just like those very very expensive computers. This was definitely a smart buy and perfect for the student as well. I expect a year from now I will still be typing on this laptop barring any unforeseen circumstances. Very pleased with this laptop.
on October 21, 2014
This computer is awful. So slow its unusable. Not worth the money
on November 13, 2015
I bought this last year on September 9th. 1 year and 2 months later it's still working great. It still boots up fast and everything, and might I point out I'm a bit rough on my computers, not shutting them down every night, and on them 24/7, downloading so much everyday. The charging still works perfect, speakers are good, everything is as it should be, keyboard is fine. Honestly the only downside is it's not made for large texture games. A few games like Final Fantasy Type 0 lags so bad it's unplayable, same with Tales of Zesteria (sp?). Another downside is that the computer only has two USB ports, and I use one of them 24/7 for my mouse so I can only plug in one USB thing as a time, but honestly for the money it's a good laptop. I don't normally leave reviews but I figured since mine works so good for over a year why not. Just remember with each product some people have bad experiences and others have good. I'm surprised an ASUS has worked so well as I've had issues with them before, like with my old netbook which I vowed to never buy another computer from them.
on September 28, 2014
I have had this laptop for about five days and have been using it pretty heavily. So far, it seems like a great little laptop for the price. I wouldn't want to try to do anything too intense on it, but I mostly wanted a small, fully-functioned word processor with a disk drive and USB ports, so this has been perfect in all of those categories so far. I only have a few complaints.

First, the power cable is only about 6 feet long. I usually sit with the laptop on the couch and my nearest outlet is just far enough away to pose a serious trip hazard. I had to bring out an extension cord, which just adds to the general cord disaster that is my electronics-heavy apartment. I also like to travel with it to coffee shops and you can't always be lucky enough to score a seat right next to an outlet, so I foresee having some problems with that. I usually work for several hours straight and I don't like having to worry about trying to find a place to plug in halfway through.

Secondly, the touchpad and I don't get along. I'm constantly accidentally zooming in and out of my screens. The left and right click are not raised or separated and I am also constantly left-clicking instead of right-clicking, to the point where I'm just going to look for a small external mouse to use.

All that said, however, I would still buy this laptop again for this price, I just wanted others to know about potential problems before purchasing.
on August 26, 2015
I go this seemingly "simple" computer for my mother as she has very simple needs: email, social networks, music, tv streaming, etc. Didn't come with an office suit except for Microsoft's trial version, but that was OK since she didn't even need that. All she really needed was a good browser and a media player, also not included except for IE, but who uses IE these days? Nothing that installing Google Chrome and VLC Media Player wouldn't solve. Besides this, no other software was ever installed as I kept an Administrator account and locked third party programs installation.

Turns out this computer was "too simple" for its own good; not even a whole year had passed when it simply decided to die. After eight months, the computer died while it was being used. It just shut itself down abruptly (as if the battery was removed, which incidentally is non-removable) and it could never be turned on again. It's pretty much brick now. The performance was as expected for the most part, but we did notice it became somewhat slow after a few months.

It has yet to be serviced, but given the symptoms my guess is that it's the motherboard. I've never had any issue with an ASUS product before, but I never expected that a product like this would fail so soon and a vital component at that, no matter the price tag. The product was too new when I purchased it to check any meaningful review available back then, but I can see now that I am not alone.

I advice against buying this product. If you truly want a cheap computer which you expect to die after a few months after performing a certain task get a $100 or less one instead, or buy an used one for even less. Don't be fooled by the brand. This is not a product that will last long.
on November 3, 2014
Ideal product for me. I had the intention of purchasing this to view videos and perform daily tasks. So far, this product has met my expectations and has every functions and more of what I desired.

2.16 GHz with smart self-automatic over-clocking to 2.4 GHz accompanied with 4GB of SDRAM RAM is adequately fast for average home, school and business use. With the computer specs it has, I wouldn't recommend it for heavy gamers, as it doesn't meet system requirements for high graphics.

In consideration to general system specs, this laptop has many customizable and self-adjustable options.
4.7 pounds is very lightweight and convenient.
Heat from internal components is well-electronically engineered to distribute the heat, I used it with medium-work load for several hours but external temperature felt through the thin bottom hard plastic was considerably cool below 75 Fahrenheit.
on December 30, 2014
Just got it and immediately proceeded to get all of the ASUS & Windows Updates installed which took several hours (as expected). I installed some of my Security options and Maintenance apps after the updates completed and everything is absolutely perfect with Windows 8.1. The machine is fast and Feature-Rich as per the Windows 8.1 Operating System that took to this ASUS package seamlessly with no issues.

The Keyboard is a little bit funky, as per the vibration produced when typing on it..a bit cheap and plastic, but it's nothing you can't get used to and I see no reason why it would inhibit my (or anyone's) ability to get the job done...What do want for that price given the package it's comprised of...?

If it can last me 2 years, then I will consider this purchase a success. ASUS did a great job in providing their Operating System Support for this machine also. Getting this machine up and running the way I wanted and expected it absolutely was easy with no issues.

I will follow up this review in about 6 months, which is the duration of the drop/damage/surge replacement warranty that came with it. I bought it with my credit card to als add a bit more protection to the deal.

In summary, I am very happy with it and I knew about the funky keyboard before I purchased it...not a problem (for a great price and a nice package).
on August 30, 2014
Very happy with the laptop. Everything was as advertized. The shipping was fast and the price was right. I would buy from this seller again.