Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "SINGER Futura XL-400 Portable Sewing and 125 Embro..." and save 53% off the $899.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
3-Year Housewares Extended Protection Planfrom SquareTrade
- Coverage for product breakdowns and malfunctions after manufacturer's warranty expires
- 24/7 customer support
- Free shipping on all repairs with no deductibles or hidden fees
- Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in the first 30 days
- If you purchase this service plan and eligible product for this service plan, you acknowledge that Amazon may send the service plan seller relevant product and price information for the purpose of administering the plan
SINGER Futura XL-400 Portable Sewing and 125 Embroidery Design Machine, With 30 Built-In Stitches - Fully Automatic 2-step Buttonhole and Drop Feed Free Motion With 6 STATYBRIGHT LED Lights
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- SINGER EMBROIDERY SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Futura XL-400 sewing and embroidery machine has 30 popular built-in sewing stitches with two fully automatic one-step buttonholes and also boasts 125 built-in embroidery designs with five fonts and outline lettering.
- SEWING MACHINE WITH LED OPTIONS: Fills the sewing surface with light, making it easier to view your work and eliminating eye strain.
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Simply guide the thread directly from the spool to the needle area through a single groove and thread the needle by pressing the threading lever for easy needle threading.
- COMPUTERIZED EMBROIDERY SYSTEM: Customize your embroidery on your computer screen. Combine multiple designs into one design file and add lettering to personalize your embroidery.
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER FUTURA XL-400 sewing and embroidery machine is everything you love about your SINGER sewing machine, built right into an embroidery machine. It’s never been easier to add the personal touches that make your sewing projects shine. Automatic features make it easy to let your creativity lead the way.
- WARRANTY: The SINGER Futura XL-400 with 25 years lifetime warranty.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
Founded in 1851, Singer is one of the world’s leading sellers of consumer and artisan sewing machines, and one of the world’s most trusted and recognizable brands. The company has a long history of innovation, having produced, among other breakthroughs, the world’s first portable machine, the first zigzag machine and the first computer-controlled machine.
The SINGER Futura XL-400 is the next generation in the Futura line of sewing and
The SwiftSmart threading system with automatic needle threader makes set-up virtually effortless. The Drop & Sew bobbin system allows you to load and change the bobbin in no time without the need to pick up the bobbin thread. Six StayBright LED lights keep your extra-large sewing space well lit when working on big quilting and sewing projects. This sewing and embroidery machine has 30 popular built-in sewing stitches with two fully automatic one-step buttonholes and also boasts 125 built-in embroidery designs with five fonts and outline lettering.
With a larger embroidery hoop option (10-by-6-inches) and multihooping capability, you can create designs up to 12 by 20 inches. This fantastic feature and will allow you to embroider large format projects such as table cloths, bedspreads, dresses and more. Get the same quality embroidery results as high-end embroidery machines but at a fraction of the cost by using your own PC. Simply connect your PC to the Futura XL-400 sewing and embroidery machine via the included USB cable, use the included software with built-in tutorials, and send the design to the machine. Push a button and you're embroidering.
Create designs as big as your imagination with multi-hoop capabilities that allow you to embroider designs up 18-1/2 by 11 inches.
Basic Editing of All Designs
Customize your embroidery on your computer screen.
125 Embroidery Designs Included
A large selection of embroidery designs to get you started right away.
6 Staybright LED Lights
Fills the sewing surface with light, making it easier to view your work and eliminating eye strain.
Swift Smart Threading System
Simply guide the thread directly from the spool to the needle area through a single groove and thread the needle by pressing the threading lever for easy needle threading.
Drop and Sew Bobbin System
No need to pull up the bobbin thread manually. Simply insert the bobbin, place the thread in the channel and start sewing.
Extra Large Sewing Space
The arm length to the right of the needle is 210 mm (8 ¼”) which gives more space for quilts and other large projects.
Design File Compatability
The included embroidery software will read these design file types: FHE, XXX, JEF, CHE, HUS, PES, DST, SHV, PEC, EXP, VIP, PCS, PSW & SEW.
SINGER is Sewing Made Easy
Basic Editing of All Designs
Customize your embroidery on your computer screen. Combine multiple designs into one design file and add lettering to personalize your embroidery. Select custom colors for your threads. The software includes thread charts with color numbers for the most popular brands of embroidery thread. Rotate embroidery designs in one degree increments for perfect placement and design possibilities. Flip embroidery designs horizontally and/or vertically or repeat embroidery designs for even more creative possibilities. Resizing capability allows you to reduce or enlarge the embroidery design for use on any project.
Lettering Program with 5 Fonts
Select from 5 embroidery fonts to personalize or monogram your projects. Letters can be sized, rotated and shaped with 30 lettering frames such as arc, banner, wave and more.
3D Realistic View and Print Capabilities
Stitches appear on the computer screen exactly as they will sew. Print the design to create placement templates.
Computer Requirements :
- PC with 1 GHz Intel or AMD Processor.
- Windows OS: Windows XP/ Vista/ 7/ 8/ 8.1.
- 1 GB of RAM (or more recommended).
- CD-ROM Drive.
- 500 MB (or more recommended) of Available Hard-Disk Space for Installation.
- Color Standard (1024 x 768 Pixel; 65,000 Colors Recommended) VGA Adapter Connected with a Color VGA Monitor.
- Microsoft Compatible Mouse.
- USE 1.1/ 2.0.
|Built-In Stitches||30 Built-In Stitches||215 Built-In Stitches||215 Built-In Stitches|
|Included Embroidery Designs||125 Embroidery Designs||125 Embroidery Designs||250 Embroidery Designs including 50 Endless Designs|
|Embroidery Hoops Included||Large Hoop and Small Hoop||Large Hoop and Small Hoop||Large Hoop, Small Hoop, and Endless Embroidery Hoop|
|Bonus Software Included||✔||✔|
|Number of Built-in Spool pins||2||2||2|
|Number of Accessory Trays||2||2||2|
|High Presser Foot Lifter||✔||✔||✔|
The SINGER QUANTUM STYLIST sewing machine has everything you need and more! Start-up is a breeze with quick and easy threading, automatic stitch length and width, stitch editing capabilities, a start/stop button and direct button stitch selection. Packed with features, this machine truly has it all. The XL-400 does look nice and modern and it is not too large of a machine either. Weighing only 23 pounds it's fairly lightweight too, but aesthetics doesn't really mean much if other things aren't up to the standard.
Dimensions: 22 x 9.5 x 13 inches
Weight: 23 pounds
Number of built-in designs: 125
Number of sewing stiches: 30
Number of fonts: 5
Embroidery area dimensions: 10 x 6 inches
WHAT'S IN THE BOX:
18 Presser Feet Included (Located Inside the Free Arm Storage Area Within the Machine)
All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning And Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch / Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot
Bonus Presser Feet (located in the top of the box)
Adjustable Bias Binder Foot, Single Welt Cording Foot, Braiding Foot with Guide, Stitch-in-the-Ditch Foot, Fancy Trim Foot, Clearance Place, Presser Foot Shank
Additional Accessories Included
Needles, Bobbins (Class 15), Seam Ripper, Lint Brush, Spool Pin with Felt Washer, Screwdrivers, Spool Caps, Seam Guide, Quilting Bar, Power Cord, Foot Controller, Extra Wide Extension Table, Hard-Sided Dust Cover, Instruction Manual
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As with any technological product (no matter if its a cellular or a sewing Machine) there's a learning curve for it. Do research, read manuals, ask around.
I did a ton of research before buying this particular model. It could sew and embroider. most of the machines just came with either 4x4 hoops or 4 x 4 and 5 x 7 hoops. the large hoop for large projects are a plus. and last but not least, the price range of it, compare to other brands that do the same was the selling point hundred of dollars less than the others. WOW.
- The sewing/embroidering part is big, yes BIG, making quilting or sewing big projects easier. But if you did a little research on this particular machine, you already knew it was big and that you will need ample space for it. When in sewing mode, its not bigger than any regular sewing machine, but with the embroidery arm attached this thing is huge, as to accommodate the big hoop that came with it.
Mine is sitting on a desk by itself and my regular sewing machine and serger are in another desk.
- Its very bright, which means that working on it is less of a task, more of a joy.
- Include most of the presser feet you might need to start any project right away. - A beautiful selections of stitches lost of stitches to task and embellish your fabric. its true, there are not hundreds of them, but there are plenty.
- making button hole is easier.
- Threading system helps those of us that struggle with needle eye :-)
-Right out of the box, it comes with a software that allows you to do a ton of embroidery designs included. the hoops, 4 x 4 and 6 x 10 were the most easy to install that I have tested. just snap on place and ready!
- there's a certain order to do things to avoid mistakes that are "user error", not machine related. and that's why there's a manual for it. manuals are your friends, READ THEM!
-it includes designs both small and big to be used right away and you can download more via internet
- it read all design formats: PES, HUS, DST, VP3, FHE, etc, although XXX is Singer native.
- Speed control, back up and forward stitch buttons, to customize your user time, as fast/sow as you want, back up to restitch or forward to skip ahead.
I do have cons, but all of the fixable.
- the spool stand that comes on the machine, its a common complain. i don't know what it is, but thread tends to tangle on the path, making for the breaking threads and needles. a thread stand behind the machine solve it. Or, as i heard from many users, putting the spool in a cup behind the machine works wonders.:-)
- it says to sew with the tension on "s" and embroider with it on "E". you will soon learn that you need to adapt this as tension relate to fabric and thickness of it. I embroider with it a little on top of the "E" and a little below the "S" for sewing.
- The software that comes with it is as simple as it gets. you can create sayings and re-size designs, change colors, and that's it. But again, i knew this. I knew that Singer sell additional software for it. ALL machines come with this type of software unless you buy them with a bundle. You want to do more? prepare to pay more.
Final thought: embroidery doesn't come cheap. Not even closed. Whether you want to create a small business or be creative around the house (my case) you are going to be buying LOTS and LOTS of stuffs: the special thread (I get mine here, poly Threadart brand, and Metro from their site.), stabilizers (all kinds: cut-away, tear-away, water soluble), needles, more designs, and if you want to be creative, additional software that will allow you to create or modify designs (I use Wilcom and Embird).
Need help? there is plenty of it on the web, including great support pages, forums and groups (I belong to 2 amazing ones on Facebook)
I love my XL-400 and will recommend it 100% to my friends or anybody willing to hear me. Sorry if other haven't had a great experience with I will advise to have patience and READ THE MANUAL! :-)
P.S. November 5th, 2012: I added a few pictures of projects I have completed with my XL-400. I have found out that some designs might look pretty but doesn't embroider as well as others. same thing for the type of thread, bobbin thread and stabilizers yo choose.
P.S. 2 January 11th, 2013: since people keep asking me and repeating their cons, I thought I add some points:
- You need a PC/laptop in order for this machine to embroider (not to sew)but you can use the software without the machine, after you turn it on and open the software, just turn the machine off and use the software.
- The included software is not an elegance program but instead of a tiny LCD screen you get a big one (as big as your laptop/PC screen) that let you work on your design right there.
- I have several machines and a serger (brother, viking and singer) and all of them have a small space for feet change, not just the embroidery machines, but the sewing also. and the XL-400 is the taller of them all (well, except for the quattro, but that a league of its own)
- It doesn't have speed bobbin control. I have never seen a machine with speed bobbin control. guess never need it, since all machine ideally come set to wind bobbin as tight as required.
- about the thread breaking, I did mention that (happens to me in my brothers also) and mentioned also the cup technique and the ease of a thread stand. I use it as 3/4 of the speed, never less, never more, never a problem. try a diff brand of thread. What work for me, might not work for you and vice-versa.
-The noise emitting from the machine, this I can not say anything since mine its not quiet but I don't find it THAT loud either ( inserting the bobbin upside down, since 15J bobbins have one side curve and the other straight, increase the sounds AND the breakage, but since it is user error, is fixable ;-)
- "DOES NOT INCLUDE AUTOMATIC THREAD CUTTER" no, really, it doesn't, it never said it did. get a tiny embroidery scissor, a curve scissor or a duck scissor. or all three! you can never have too many scissors.
- the hoops are flat and plastic. take care of them.
me? still in love with my machine...
P.S. 3 February 13, 2013: Apparently Amazon had a bad batch of these machines. They even put up a message that they were reviewing/revising the machines they had in stock.
Sorry for those that got one lemon machine.
I still hold unto my review of MY machine as an excellent one, worth getting it.
P.S. 4 April 6, 2014: still in love with my machine... adding a special note, although it only works with the includes size hoops, 4x4, 6x10, you can multi-hoop, meaning that you can do even larger designs. here is a pdf and a site with some info about it: sewingmachinesplus (dot)com/media/products/singer/Singerxl400/package/How-to-Multi-Hoop-Futura.pdf and jennys-sewing-studio (dot)com/index.php/product-lines/singer-futura-quartet/75-singer-futura-quartet/138-multi-hooping-with-the-singer-futura-quartet.html Amazon wont let me attach links but substitute (dot) for an actual dot and it should work! hope this help!
P.S. 5 February 26,2016: yes, still in love with my machine. Running like the first day. But do keep in mind that for this machine, or any machine, regular maintenance checkups and cleaning is a must. Do as the manual says, keep it clean, covered when not in use, regularly change needles, and use the appropriate one according to the fabric and project - you can always revert to e regular one- since this will impact in the finished design; if you have thread breakages, check for loose pieces within the machines to avoid future entanglements. Check for warped hoops, avoid the embroidery arm bumping with anything, replace a crack bobbin, and keep the bobbin area lint free, do a visual check on parts, like the needle plate, as a bend needle migh hit this and brake (or worse damage your project or flight straight to you!). Replace threads if they are old as they tend to dry and brake easily. If, by any circumstances, you need to remove a part whether is to check something or retrieve a fallen needle or thread, please pay attention so you can install everything back to the right place.
* am I missing anything else? Hope not...*
I decided to take the plunge with an embroidery machine, and it was down to either the Brother PE770 5x7 inch Embroidery-only machine with built-in memory, USB port, 6 lettering fonts and 136 built-in designs or this one. The Brother PE770 had more stars and good reviews. However, it only had a 5x7 inch hoop as well as no foreseeable custom digitizing software. Plus it only embroidered. So I chose this Singer Futura XL-400 instead, and with their AutoPunch software, was able to digitize a paper that I put my year old son's stamped hand onto and scanned in. This after having the machine for less than 12 hours and trying some test embroidery on flour sack cloths. So this will be my wife's Mother's Day gift. Yes, this doesn't have a digital LCD screen, but I love the full color I get with it sitting by my computer. It is a small learning curve for me, but not a nightmare unlike some say. I also made sure to watch videos by actual users before taking the plunge.
It could also be because I am more mechanically inclined, but after not being able to thread a size 11 (Found out the instruction manual said to not go below size 14), it apparently caused the self threader to stop working. There is a small steel wire that bends at the end to catch the thread through the eye of the needle. It became bent to the side and downward. I was able to remedy it myself by gently working with it with tweezers. Other than that, it has just been trial and error more with the spools of thread, especially when the post gets stuck on the spool's sticker paper. The instruction manual by Singer is also great help on the occasion that I got stuck with a problem.
Small update: May 10th, five days after this review. Wife was so excited to try out the embroidery machine on her own after I got the embroidery machine to work flawlessly. She was getting aggaravated after the third block resulted in popped thread and nesting the first few stitches. I was able to get it working again and it is now on block 4 of the pattern she bought online without a hitch. I realized then that this isn't an embroidery machine for someone who hasn't worked with and had to troubleshoot sewing machines and lock stitch machines for a while.
Most recent customer reviews
very good condition = came missing a power cord, foot pedal,...Read more