BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon October 27, 2015
This book is a quick overview of XML and related topics. It covers XML basics, DTD, XML Schemas, XSL/XSLT, XPath, XSL-FO, more recent versions (XSLT 2.0/XQuery 1.0/etc), as well as XML based technologies such as Ajax, RSS, SOAP, WSDL, ODF, etc. It does not go into any of the topics in depth and it does not provide sufficient examples for learning and exploring. The way I see it the book is an overview, not a self instruction book.

I have some experience with XML but not from Web Development. The contexts where I’ve come across XML are databases, communication, and data storage related to images. However, I felt that I needed to get more familiar with XML in a broader context. This book served its purpose and it was fairly easy to read and very well organized. My only complaint was that it was perhaps a little bit too concise. I read it in conjunction with a self instruction book (Student’s Guide to XSLT), which gave you more hands on experience.
on August 18, 2016
I give this a 5-star because it totally satisfies it's expectations *relative* to what it was intended for, i.e. as the title suggests, it is meant as a fast jump start to create / learn XML, rather than an exhaustive or expert-level book. It will also make a good desk reference for some common commands, features, etc.

My very first programming book was the "Perl and CGI" Quickstart book from this same series in about 14 years ago. I loved that book, and it turned out to be my first stepping stone to IT. This book continues with that tradition as it helped me quickly figure out how to reverse-engineer a simple XSD schema needed to import a vendor's XML data feed to SQL using SSIS.
on May 17, 2013
XLM Visual Quickstart Guide is everything that the other reviewers have said. I used in a college introductory course, and students did very well. There is one caveat that nobody has mentioned; all the code samples are written in tiny, light, pastel-colored type face on semigloss paper--pink, sky-blue, peach, chartreuse, and teal. Some code samples are almost impossible to read. Fortunately, all the code samples are available on line in clear, large print for download. If you purchase this book, you will most likely have to download the code samples.
on November 11, 2016
I read the xml specification or RFC and could not understand them. This book explains everything clearly. I would like to thank the author for writing such a clear and easy to read ebook on xml. XML is an excellent technology once you understand it. Buy this book if you want to learn XML.
on November 14, 2016
Good reference for beginning learning
on May 17, 2010
This book is a great way to get started if you have not done a lot of HTML and are looking for a way to get your feet wet with XML and it's interactions with HTML. It does a great job of step-by-step leading you through most of the basic concepts used in XML. If you don't know much about XML and want to get started and need a quick reference for figuring out what is going on in an XML file, this is a great starting point. It is compact and the approach is to explain something minimally and then show a example.

There are example files to download that the book references. To get the most out of this book, you will have to download the examples.
on August 1, 2017
Quite practical book, full of useful examples
on March 19, 2012
This is a good book. I would highly recommend that you have some experience with HTML prior to reading it, I hadn't looked into HTML for a while (10 years) and so it was an extremely hypothetical reading. Had I caught up on my HTML first I am certain I would have got even more out of it.

In any case the examples are easy to follow, the author does a great job of breaking things down into nice digestible chunks. If you're looking to take your XML to the next level this is not the book for you, if you are however looking for a solid foundation to build from I would certainly recommend this book without hesitation.
on September 14, 2016
The author does a great job relaying information in a very easy to understand approach, and he doesn't drop a ton on you quickly. Lots of clear examples of what he's doing step by step.
on February 11, 2012
This is one of my best purchases. I tend to grab expensive books on programming languages when I go to Barnes & Noble (or Borders before they closed), but I found this steal on Amazon and it's a great book on XML. I already know HTML and CSS though, so I don't know about those beginning. I taught myself html when I was 13 though, which was many years ago, so I'm sure a beginner can learn XML if need-be.