Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on October 14, 2009
I ordered this machine after review numerous others. 2 week after I received the machine it started showing error message 06 and instructed me to call customer service. I was told to remove the filter. A few more cups of coffee later I got the same error message and called again. This time I was told to use mineral water. Customer service is very friendly and I haven't had to wait long. Now - I am waiting for a shipping label and box so I can send it in for repair.
I am very disappointed.

Krups finally replaced the unit after 2 trips to the repair center. It works for 3 months. i thought maybe we finally had working product. No such luck, It gave us the same error message again. Again I was instructed to send it to the service center for repair. I got it back 1 week ago. Today the same error again. I figure by the time my warrenty is up it will have been to the repair center 8 times. Hopefully, only replaced 1 more time.

The sad part - when it does make coffee, the coffee is great.

Don't buy this machine. There is a very good reason the price is discounted.

Well, the waranty is up and we have technical error again. The machine tortured us for a year and that is enough. Replaced the machine with a Jura S9.
on December 2, 2009
The machine does work great, when it works. We're going on our second repair in the last 1.5 years. It's also freshly out of warranty. I'm not sure if it will be worth fixing, or just buying a real espresso machine. It's sad that a $1000 MSRP machine has poor reliability.

Original review below.
"When you open the box, be aware that it may contain coffee grounds. My wife opened the package, saw the coffee grounds everywhere, and assumed that the machine was used. After deciding that it wasn't a big deal and it still looked new, we decided to keep it. Only later, when reading the manual, did I notice that the machines are tested by Krups before leaving the factory and may have coffee grounds leftover.

The machine includes a water filter, water hardness test, and has adjustable settings for water hardness. Once setup, it heats and brews espresso quickly. The volume of the shot is adjustable and additional shots may be added fairly quickly. We found the middle/default grind setting to work best with most of the coffee we tried. It is VERY EASY to use and to clean.

The espresso coming out of it tastes great. It's much better than 99% of what I can buy around me in the Chicago area (including Starbucks which is actually better than the average coffee shop in my area). The money and time saved brewing it myself makes this machine worth every penny. The XP7225 is averaging 2-4 coffee drinks per day and our regular coffee machine (a Krups KM7000) is sitting unused. Keep in mind, the coffee is great, but it's not quite as good as a skilled barista who really knows what they're doing. I have had better coffee in Seattle (Cafe Verite/Cupcake Royale), San Francisco (Blue Bottle), and a small number of other places with great baristas. The character of those stores also makes them worth a visit.

Want a treat? Try 50% espresso and 50% Bailey's Irish Cream. It makes a fantastic drink hot or over ice."
on July 15, 2009
I am happy to say we got rid of our leaky, poorly functioning gaggia espresso machine which set us back $300 just this past Christmas and replaced it with this easy to use, programmable espresso machine. As J.Zinn said it's "turnkey." It's compact and great looking. Easy to program and even says hello to you in the morning (not audio - which would be nice!). A con is the dial to choose the type of coffee you want (espresso, strong espresso, coffee or long coffee) is a bit flimsy and doesn't click for each selection - this could be a problem for people with visual impairments. The digital screen as well could be a problem - I wish it could talk! The adjustable nozzle allows for normal to large size coffee mugs to be used - and of course small stylish espresso cups (ours are really cool stainless steel ones complete with saucers). We haven't frothed but tested the feature and it works great. It's what I expected for this price range - ease of use, crema and no leaking messiness that frankly all the espresso machines we've ever owned offer! The drip tray is concealed and it is fantastic. You can program it to be ready to run in the a.m. and it shuts off automatically too - at your bidding... So far, and it's only been a week, it's divine and worth every penny!

update: our machine started leaking. we sent it in for repairs - repair person said we were going to be sent a new machine but Krups is behind and it will take two weeks - we shipped it out on 12/22. We are in shock at Krups' lack of customer service - they require you to use their cleaning products - descalers etc. but they aren't available for purchase. since we were disappointed with gaggia (also leaking, piece of garbage in the $300 range) we are even more disappointed with this purchase. when we get back from our trip out of town we will begin the process of getting amazon and/or krups to give us our money back. our coffee journey started 10 years ago with a mr. coffee espresso maker (a very reliable machine). venturing into this pricey area should result in getting better products but that hasn't been the case - we bought the gaggia from a coffee company in upstate new york and it lasted only a few months. it's in our garage. This machine is in a repair shop in Gaithersburg MD... Ready to purchase a Mr. Coffee and call the whole thing off. I do not recommend anyone purchase this machine - its bad qualities far outweigh its good - in fact the only good quality is its smallish size.

update: in mid-january we received a different model krups 7260 (?)with the cappucino maker - my husband loves this machine in a personal way and wants it to work - we are uber careful with everything we do with following the advice of another reviewer - our beans are oily we like dark roasted beans - time will tell. i wouldn't recommend this product - my bro-in-law bought a delonghi automatic which he stands by for lots of reasons... including the fact that you can take out the innards and clean them...
on August 18, 2009
I really like the size of this coffee maker - very small! However, I couldn't make a good cup of coffee with it - always turned out bitter. Also, it's annoying that you need to change the amount of water you want each time (if you're not using the default amount). The manual is no help - doesn't explain anything in detail (what exactly is a long coffee?). Definitely not for someone who like to tweak their coffee parameters. I ended up getting the DeLonghi ESAM3300 which is the same price, slightly larger, but makes much better coffee out of the gate.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.