Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

• XX
  • Customer Reviews

XX
Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 10, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by this album. I'd heard one or two tracks on the radio or on TV shows, but it's not often that an album like that can keep you interested from start to finish. It's very well produced and the songs flow seamlessly from one to the next. Perfect background music for a small dinner party, curling up on the couch with a good book, or taking a nice leisurely bath. The girl has a gorgeous voice and there are some great instruments used. Very impressive for a 1st album.
2 people found this helpful
on November 10, 2015
This isnt a review of the album itself, so if you're looking for that go down some more probably.
The vinyl came packaged perfectly and no damage done to it at all. Cover art is beautiful and record plays perfectly. I got this vinyl with a couple others and all came perfectly. I would recommend anyone to buy this. Personally, i love the music, and i think anyone else should too.
on April 30, 2014
While listening to Pandora, one of the songs played from this group. I was interested, so I bought the CD. Loved it. Kinda techno/ dream pop sound. The female vocalist is sweet and pretty is a contrast to the male vocalist's dry, almost staccato style creating a soothing, earnest sound.
on August 21, 2016
No problems with order
on February 25, 2012
Ever since hearing this band on Satellite Radio... I knew I wanted to buy the CD.
Amazon made that easy and cheap.

The CD plays through for me like one track in that I enjoy each song.
Would definitely recommend this CD to others... XX is going to continue to spread until they are a household name.
2 people found this helpful
on July 9, 2015
Between August 2009 when this album was released and November 2010 when I bought it, it seemed like all anyone was talking about was The xx. Rolling Stone absolutely raved about the band as well as the album, and the reviews of the record were practically off the charts. So, during Amazon Music's holidays sale in 2010, when the album was super-duper cheap, I went ahead and bought it figuring there was no better time to check this band out. Sadly, that money was utterly and completely wasted.

The only song worth listening to on this album us "Intro." The rest of the album is boring minimalist garbage borrowed heavy-handedly from bands like Joy Division and New Order as well as contemporary R&B. The basslines alone sound as if Peter Hook was flown in to record them personally, and there is a strong level of R&B production across the whole record. However, what slapped me in the face the most about this album is just how utterly and completely BORING it is. The singing is barely audible, and they sound as if they can barely lift a finger to play their instruments. And I won't go into the drivel that gets passed off as lyrics....

How this album garned--and won--so many awards is completely beyond me. How so many music critics not only didn't flame this record back to the Stone Age but actually stated they LIKED it is flabbergasting. I've listened to this album over a dozen times, and I'm not lying when I tell you I can barely stand it. Every time I put it on, I'm bored out of my gourd by the fourth track, but I keep hoping every time I play it again that I'll find something else besides the opening track that I'll actually like. So far, though, I've failed at this fool's errand every single time. And this last time I've played the album will be my last; this album will be the first I delete from my Music Library.
on January 26, 2016
I am always so pleased to find new bands online and my discovery of the xx was amazing. Great album, awesome band. If you've never listened to the xx, you definitely should. Chill beats, beautiful voices, wonderful lyrics. I will definitely be buying the second album as well because I just can't get enough with this band. LISTEN TO THEM!
on July 23, 2010
This is an interesting minimalist cool Cd with echoes of Joy Division (and, therefore, New Order), the early Cure, the Bristol bands like Portishead and most of all The Durutti Column. Some of the negative reviewers have criticized both vocalists as being technically deficient. They are missing the point. The sparse conversationalist singing suits both lyrics and music perfectly. The XX have made one of 2009's best debuts.
on October 31, 2016
Very mellow.
on April 11, 2017
My review has to do with the fact that I received my record and it had a long scratch that made side A horrible to listen to because of the constant skipping. The album itself is great.