Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Showing 1-10 of 282 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 516 reviews
on March 5, 2016
I bought a DaVinci Jr as my first 3D printer after much deliberation. What ultimately swayed me was the price, and the fact that most of the more recent reviews were on the positive side of the spectrum.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Nearly 250 hours of printing and about 800 meters of filament into my journey with this printer, I can honestly say that I'm impressed with the quality for the price.

Let me get to some of my feelings about the printer.

1. This printer only prints PLA, and I'm okay with that. I had thought long and hard about the potential need for printing in ABS, and ultimately I decided that I didn't really want my hobby room smelling of melted plastic all the time...and the PLA doesn't really smell like anything to me...if anything, it smells mildly sweet and isn't at all unpleasant.

2. This printer is advertised as being "no calibration necessary." I found that to be far from accurate. When I received the printer, I needed to adjust the Z-offset (the height of the printing nozzle from the print bed) by nearly .5mm. That's a VERY large adjustment for something like this...without doing that, the printer would basically just kind of spit plastic all over the place when it was trying to put down it's first layer. That's not that big of a deal, XYZ has a video on their site that shows you how to do this. It's simple to do and doesn't take very long. I would highly recommend you take a look at this adjustment on your printer when you first set it up just to make sure that it's set correctly.

To go along with this, I had problems with the printer making circles when I first got it. Long story short, it wasn't printing circles at all...it was printing things that looked more like footballs or lemons...they'd have two very clear points at opposite ends of them...one at about 10 o'clock and one at about 4 o'clock. I contacted XYZ regarding this and actually got a response right away...they told me to check the z-offset and make sure that the bed was level. There's a video on their site that shows how to do this, and it was fairly easy...once I had a T10 driver to loosen and tighten the hardware. This, however, didn't do much to fix the problem. I ended up looking around online and finding some information about bad circles typically meaning loose belts on the x and y axis.

Tightening the x-axis was easy...you just loosen the bolt holding the whole assembly in place and put some pressure on the piece as you tighten the bolt back down. The x-axis belt was very easy to get tighter. One thing to keep in mind, there is a spring on this assembly that APPEARS as if it's there to provide tension on the belt...but it's not...it's actually a mechanism to make the entire thing easier to assemble at the factory. Basically, that spring just holds the parts in place while the whole thing is assembled...so, don't just assume that because there is a spring there it's going to be providing enough tension to keep the belt tight.

The y-axis was a bit more tricky...but easy once you know how to do it. First, you must remove the four bolts holding the glass print bed in place. After these are removed, you must then remove the three bolts holding the entire print bed assembly in place. Once these are out, you can take the print bed off...and under that you can easily remove the cover that covers the y-axis belt and gears...it's just held in place by some clips...push them in and the whole thing will pop up. Once that was done, I was quickly able to notice that my y-axis belt was EXTREMELY loose. At the BACK of the machine, there is an assembly very similar to the one that holds the x-axis in place. It's difficult to see, but you can do it without removing any of the case...but you need to get back there and loosen the bolt and push this assembly towards the BACK while tightening in order to get the y-axis belt tight.

Once I had done these things, the printer now prints perfect circles...and it also printed other things just better.

Basically, the printer isn't really "calibration free." You need to do some work to get it set up correctly, and once that is done you'll end up with a very good quality printer that works very well and is relatively frustration free. I really believe that XYZ should drop the "No Calibration" advertisements and switch that up to "Easy Calibration and Setup" and I think they'd end up with a lot less unhappy customers.

Personally, I viewed going into this as a hobby that was going to require some tinkering...and as such I wasn't really too concerned about the fact that the printer needed more setup than it was advertised as requiring.

3. Make sure you follow the instructions for things like loading and unloading filament. I ended up with a pretty nasty clog in my print nozzle because I was unloading filament incorrectly. Basically, I was just selecting the unload filament option, then just kind of yanking it out of the printer. This ends up being the BAD way to do this, as it doesn't really clear out the nozzle and can end up causing some blockage in the nozzle. So, learn from my mistakes and have patience and make sure you're doing it according to the instructions, and you'll end up with no issues.

4. A lot of people have a problem with the "DRM" style filament. I personally don't. I find the DaVinci filament to be reasonably priced, and I've printed a TON of stuff with one roll of filament. One thing to keep in mind, when you get done with a roll there WILL be filament left on the roll, even though the NFC chip is telling the machine the filament is empty. I've been able to determine that what is happening is DaVinci is actually putting MORE than the 200m of filament on the spool...as they take into account the fact that you'll be switching colors and such...so they give you some extra to cover the fact that some of the filament will be used up when doing that.

Again, I don't really have a problem with the DRM style of selling model...it seems that more and more things these days are going in this direction...however, I completely understand the people who are turned off by this, as you CAN get better value in filament when going with third party products...and there are more colors and things like that.

5. This is going to be my only real complaint regarding the machine...but it's one that I'm not letting impact my score of it because I knew this going in. I would really like the machine to have a heated print bed. I've been able to get around it by using 3M Blue Painter's Tape and some Elmer's School Gluesticks, but ultimately I think I would like to have a heated bed moving forward. Again, I can't fault the machine for this because I KNEW going in that I wasn't going to have a heated bed...but it would be nice to have an accessory option or something like that where you could add one at a later date if you needed to.

With that said, I've had VERY FEW prints end up getting messed up or not working because of the fact that they didn't stick to the bed. For things that have very small bases it's very easy to just print with a raft and use the tape and glue and then you don't have to worry about it not sticking correctly.

I just feel that eventually I'm going to really want a heated bed...but, I'll probably end up worrying about that when I move to a new machine...

6. The XYZ slicing software can, at times, be a bit odd. It will do things that just don't make sense, and some things that I know slice fine with other software seem to not want to slice at all on the XYZWare. It's not really a big deal, as I've only run into ONE item that simply wouldn't print because it wouldn't slice well...and I'll be saving that item to try to print later on down the road when I've grown in the hobby and maybe moved up to a much more expensive printer.

In closing, know going in that you're going to need to do some setup work, and if you know that you'll be armed with the knowledge you need to really enjoy this printer. Had I gone in and just started printing without trying any of the setup options, I feel that I would have been disappointed in the quality...however, I knew that this is a HOBBY...and a relatively new one at that...so I went in prepared to do some setup work on my own, and I feel that with that in mind I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with the printer.

A quick note about myself...I have ZERO clue how to actually model 3D things. I simply get my files from Thingiverse and print things that other, much more talented individuals, have take the time to design and create. So, even if you don't know how to create things on a computer, you can still use and have fun with a 3D printer.

I'm including SEVERAL pictures of things I've printed...and these are just a very small sample. They range from a T-rex skeleton, to several miniature GI Joe vehicles (models of the toys from the 80s), to a 1:1 scale replica of the Holy Grail from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," to a robot clock that is put together from many different printed pieces.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this as a first printer.
119 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on November 19, 2016
I am the Robotics Instructor at Stockbridge HIgh School located in Stockbridge Michigan. I purchased my first da Vinci Jr. 1.0 in January of 2016 so my students could build parts for their Underwater Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV) and camera mounts for an underwater camera system they were building to monitor the behavior of larval sea lamprey in the St. Clair River.

Our first da Vinci Jr. 1.0 worked so well we soon purchased another. These first two da Vinci Jr. 1.0’s created a huge amount of interest in our school district and they became the inspiration for a revised CAD class that features 3D printing and project based learning (PBL). The interest was so great we purchased three more da Vinci Jr. 1.0’s to become the core 3D printers in our new 3D printing lab featuring a variety of 3D printers from XYZPrinting.

The da Vinci Jr. 1.0 3D printers are the workhorses of my classroom. They are very reliable, we have been printing almost continuously since January with no problems. My students are able to use the provided tutorial videos to perform regular operator maintenance such as cleaning the print nozzle. But, other than regular cleaning the printers have worked like a charm. So much so that I regularly recommend them to others. In addition to being reliable, the printers are easy to use and safe. My students spend their time designing and creating rather than fiddling with adjustments on a 3D printer. I also really like the fact that the da Vinci Jr. 1.0 3D printer is fully enclosed. This increases safety and prevents items such as backpacks and textbooks from getting laid on the print bed.

In addition to our underwater robotics projects we have used our five da Vinci 1.0 Jr. 3D printers for many other projects this year. We started out the school year making 3D printed prosthetic hands for the Enable Community Foundation and the Hand Challenge. We then progressed into making 3D printed models of the human heart for use in our anatomy and physiology class. This project saved our science department over $1,000 and provided students with an opportunity to use 3D printing to study the human heart.

The da Vinci Jr. 1.0 is a great choice for classrooms that want to design and create using an easy to use and reliable 3D Printer.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
19 people found this helpful
on May 21, 2015
I have been a graphic designer for quite some time now and have recently taken up 3D designing to expand my skill set. Not only that, I am also an avid model/action figure collector with an interest in making my own line of toys and models, but I never had any practical way to get started on it besides designing them. When I saw the da Vinci Jr for only $349 I bit the bullet and bought the printer. I haven’t stopped printing since.
The Jr. wasn’t my first option right off the bat, I had been researching 3D printers for a few weeks before purchasing so I am well aware of the issues and concerns people have with XYZprinting’s printers. However, most of the 3D printers on the market cost upwards of $1,000 and the ones that are less are usually so small that I’d have to build everything in parts. Plus, for the $1,000+ I could have spent on most of the printers on the market today, I can spend it on 1 da Vinci Jr and 35 spools of filaments. Basically, the money I’d save would make sure I’d NEVER have to stop printing again. So, it made sense to purchase this printer.
Here is a breakdown of why I love the Jr.
1. Extremely cheap, probably the cheapest printer on the market.
2. Good size and fits perfectly on my cluttered desk
3. Software isn’t rocket science and super easy to use. I can scale, shift, and move all of my prints easily.
4. 1 YEAR WARRANTY with unlimited phone and email support! I knew that if anything would go wrong with the printer, I’d be able to return it or fix it myself.
5. Non-heated print tray and fully enclosed. Look, I have kids and kids like to get rowdy. Plus, they also like to point at things and there’s no telling if they’ll touch the extruder or not.
This printer deserves 5 stars because it perfectly serves my specific needs and interests.
review imagereview image
101 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 8, 2015
I own more than a few consumer 3D printers so I know a good value when I see one. I just received this model and I am very pleased with the build quality and ease of use. The internal frame is extruded aluminum rail and the unit is sturdy and quiet when building. It has an SD card slot for building directly from files, and As for the first reviewer, it looks like the Z height was not adjusted properly at the factory - mine wasn't either. The starting position was too close to the build plate causing a jammed extruder. So I'd highly recommend you check this first - as it is, the Z height offset can be set but the menu doesn't provide a way to move the Z axis to the bed to check the gap. It was obvious from the start that it was too low - the painters tape was getting ripped off the glass! So I stopped the print and immediately raised the offset - it took two tries, but I finally got it working. BTW my set at the factory offset was .9mm but the working number for mine was 2.2mm. Also, mine needed a firmware update fresh out of the box.

It took no more than 15 minutes from box to first print, even given the Z offset problem. The filament autoloading process was easy. The extruder does have an all-metal hot end, so while it could do ABS the bed is not heated. Perhaps a future model will add these things, but at $349 this is an exceptional unit for a teenager or student looking to own their first machine and get in to 3D printing. The client software, while better than when first released with the DaVinci 1.0, is still kinda ugly and slow for slicing. It does work and there are alternatives, though they are not free.

So why not 5 stars? Well, I'd like to see a heated bed even in this size. I wish the client software would be more developed and not so utilitarian. And the Z offset was clearly wrong out of the box. Even so, these are tolerable for the price.

A more complete review will appear on my additive manufacturing blog soon at www.renaissance-engineer.net
review image
132 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on March 9, 2017
I created many pieces during the first month I used this printer. The added function of mixing color is definitely the selling point of this 3D printer. But it requires certain experience and knowledge of the material and how the printer works. If not properly positioned and configured before printing, the result may be not satisfactory. However, that being said, after using it for a while, you kinda get the idea what colors and materials what best together and what kind of gradient actually adds some flavor to your design instead of messing it up. And you do get some great result after spending a good amount of filament. If I compare it to the other 3D printers I have used, I would say I am actually pretty satisfied and it delivers what it advertised but just like all of the 3D printers on the market. You have to know the machine enough to have the opportunity to enjoy it.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 people found this helpful
on August 21, 2016
Got this printer less than 2 weeks ago and honestly the prints this machine has gave me have been incredible. I have been so used to having to manually calibrate the bed of my printer that using this printer was far too convenient. It used to be that 300 dollars would be only enough for the filament and no printer but with technology advancing at incredible paces it seems the time of cheap affordable 3d printing is finally arriving. There is a few things I would like to point out though.

Pros:
Super easy to use - This is a printer that my 10 year old nephew could pick up due to its simplicity thanks to auto calibration and automation.
Prints look great - The prints that come out of this machine look spectacular from 0.1mm to 0.4mm layer heights
The case surrounding the bed - Really helps tone done the noises that the printer makes when printing for a quieter experience

Cons:
DRM Filament? - We live in the 21st century where people can buy ALL types of filament, so why are being limited to buying only one kind of filament brand? This was my biggest pet peeve with the printer as this really does put a limit on what filaments you can use.
Clunky sound inside - Sometimes when printing I would hear almost an uncomfortable dragging sound caused by some mechanical component within but it doesn't change my print quality luckily.
The UI - This one is a personal taste but It just feels a bit slow so navigating it does feel sluggish but thats personal pref.

Final notes: If I were to ever offer my younger siblings a 3d printer with ease of use, reliable quality, and a 5inch printing bed for only small projects, then this would be the printer id give them. For 350 you can now print incredibly strong PLA items that look great. The autocalibration is a god sent feature that needs to be on every single printer. There is a file you can print for the extruder fan aswell that allows your printer to provide even better prints for no added cost. I won't let go of the chips inside the filament packages though, what purpose does it serve to have filament with a digital code that makes you have to buy only their brand. You can buy nearly any 1kg spool of filament for 20 dollars, but for this printer 600g is worth 25 so this is clearly something the company needs to modernize on if they want to be the serious competitor on the streets.
review imagereview imagereview image
18 people found this helpful
on December 26, 2017
It starts with poor, photocopied instructions in the box (literally, just sheets of regular old paper stapled together - dated March 2016). The instructions have poor photos and use jargon/technical device terms that they just assume you understand. After struggling with the instructions for awhile, I just went to their website, and watched a 3 minute video that explained everything I'd spent the last hour trying to figure out. I wish they'd just put a card in the box 'please go see our setup tutorials before you do anything'.

We managed to get it all setup, but I couldn't create an account, so I couldn't use their software. Yep, the printing software *requires* as online account. And their online account system appears to be down at the time. I tried three different email addresses, and never got back my verification email, so I could't create an account (yes, I checked the SPAM/Junk folders). Don't have an account, can't launch their software. Can't launch their software, can't print anything other than the sample on the SD card.

So, all we could do was print the *single* sample on the included SD card, a cute little heart locket. Not exactly what the kids wanted.

The printer comes with three sheets of 'reusable' printer bed tape. I imagine this is to protect the printer bed. But it's by no means reusable. The little heart locket virtually bonded itself to the printer bed tape. I had to destroy the tape each time I printed it. Perhaps other 3D models would be less bonded to the print bed, but expect to go through your small supply of printer bed tape pretty quickly. When I ran out I switched to blue painter's tape, which seemed to work well, but is a hassle.

Unable to print anything but the sample file, I switched to try out scanning. The software is horrible. It has toy-like user interface that locks up for several minutes at a time as it communicates with the scanner. When it was done scanning, I was stuck looking at a blank white screen. The software seemed to think it was showing me the results of a scan, but it was not. So, I could't even print something I'd scanned.

You might think "Well, call customer support". Sure, I just did that. After waiting on hold for a few minutes, it told me to leave a message with my telephone number and then it hung up. It's clear there's not much in the way of customer support available. I sent them an email via their online support option, and have yet to hear a response.

I cannot recommend a physical piece of hardware that *requires* the company's software, and requires a login. What happens if this company goes out of business? What happens if their authentication servers are unreliable (which apparently they are).

Updated 12/27:
I tried to register my account again yesterday and it worked. I was then able to download 3D patterns and print them using the XYZWare software. I still hold this software in very low regard. It regularly locks up for 30seconds to a minute with no user feedback. If you click a button, be prepared to wait, with no indication that anything happened.

Don't bother going to their website for 3D patterns, it's not searchable so you just have to page through page after page of stuff until you find something. Head over to https://www.thingiverse.com/ instead.

The printer itself seems to work well and produces good quality prints, at least for the things I've thrown at it so far. But I am no expert.

I still wouldn't recommend this experience to anyway. Although the printer itself appears to work well, the software and support are terrible. I think it's worth it to spend a bit more money to get a better supported product. At this point it's too much trouble to send it back, and it works 'OK' now that I know all the quirks. But I would not buy it again if I had it to do over.
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 10, 2016
I've made several prints on the Da Vinci Jr, and they've all turned out nicely.

So, what does this printer actually do? How does it work? The basic idea is a lot like icing a cake for a party. When I was a kid, my mom was really good at decorating cakes. She'd take a sheet of paper, form it into a cone, cut the tip of the cone off, slide a little metal tip down to the bottom of the cone, then put a big glob of frosting into the cone. She'd fold over the end of the cone, then squeeze it like a bag, and a very fine line of frosting would come out of the little metal tip. It took just the right pressure on the cone to make the frosting come out at just the right speed, and a steady hand and good coordination to get the metal tip just the right distance from the cake, so that she could draw 'Happy Birthday' on the cake neatly, and so that the frosting would come out in a continuous line, would stick to the cake and not pull away as she moved her hand. That was especially true if she decided to make a flower or other flourish on the cake that needed multiple frosting shapes to create; everything had to be done perfectly or the flower would fall apart or look like a random mound of frosting.

This printer works in a remarkably similar way. Except instead of frosting, it uses melted plastic. And it 'frosts' a glass bed instead of a cake. Otherwise, everything is essentially the same. And it has all of the same issues. In order to successfully print an object, the printer needs to melt the plastic to just the right temperature, then push it through a metal tip (nozzle) with just the right pressure so it comes out at just the right speed, and then put that metal tip in exactly the right position to lay down a hair-thin line of plastic either onto the print bed or onto an existing layer that it already printed. It repeats this, slowly, over and over, until all of the layers are placed on top of each other and the object is complete. This can take anywhere from half an hour for a small very simple object to the better part of a day or more for a large, high-quality, complex object.

If any of those things (speed, pressure, temperature, position, etc.) are wrong, the print won't go well and the object will be a mess of plastic threads. It's easy to have something go wrong.

And what you end up with is a small plastic object, maybe a couple inches or a little bigger on a side, very comparable in quality and ruggedness as the toys you'd pay a buck for a big bag of at the dollar store. Yup, you just paid hundreds of dollars to be able to create a junky bit of plastic that you wouldn't normally pay a penny for.

But you also get the ability to create more complex things that you actually want to have and find useful. But that comes with time and practice, because getting your 3D prints to come out the way you want them to involves getting everything right, all at the same time.

So. This printer does that 'frosting', and it does it well, right out of the box. It does it as well as more costly printers, and you (probably) don't need to spend a lot of time futzing to get it to print something.

The printer came extremely well packaged, in a big box with lots of styrofoam padding and several (maybe 10?) internal supports, both styrofoam and cardboard, to protect the internal printing mechanism. The accessories, which included a roll of clear-blue PLA plastic filament, were neatly organized, with most of them taped to a cardboard tray in the box. I also ordered a roll of solid black filament, which I've used much more than the blue; objects come out looking nicer and less chintzy with the black filament.

The printer itself is well-constructed, made mostly out of stamped metal and rigid plastic. It comes built into an enclosure (which most 3D printers in this price range do not include or even have). The enclosure is very nice looking with white trim and translucent orange sides, and reminds me quite a bit of the old iMacs.

After unpacking and removing all of the protective supports, the next step is to feed a white plastic tube down through a slot in the top of the enclosure and into a hole in the top of the extruder mechanism, you just push the tube down until it won't go any more. Then feed the other end of the tube through a smaller slot in the top of the enclosure and into a hole in the top of the filament feed mechanism. This tube is used to guide the plastic filament from the spool through the feeder to the extruder.

The accessories include a few sheets of what feels like masking tape. You place one of these on the glass print bed, and it is intended to give the filament something to grab onto when the printer is laying down the first layer of filament (the filament won't grab onto the bare glass bed, but will just slide around on it). Getting the filament to stick to the bed just enough but not too much is the topic of much discussion on 3D printing forums, and everyone has a sure-fire solution, including painter's tape, glue sticks, kapton sheets, etc. etc. etc.

Based on many of the discussions I read, I ordered a pair of Elmer's Disappearing Purple School Glue Sticks just in case, and am glad I did. After a few prints, the grabby sheet wasn't so grabby, and my prints started to slide around instead of sticking to the sheet. A quick coating with the glue stick solved the problem, and the purple coloring made it easy to make sure I had coated the entire print area. The glue will come off with the object when you pry it off the bed, but washes off in a few seconds with soap and water. Overall, the glue stick seems to be a much cheaper and easier way of making sure the prints stay in place.

Once you have the grabby sheet stuck neatly on the print bed, you can open up the roll of plastic filament and put it on the holder inside the enclosure, trim off the end of the filament so it's nice and straight without any kinks, then feed the filament into the bottom of the feed mechanism. Then you use the controls on the front of the printer to tell it to load the filament. This process will take several minutes, as the printer heats up the extruder to the proper temperature, then slowly feeds the filament through the white tube from the feeder mechanism to the extruder. Then it will do it's print thing for a little while, except that the extruder is positioned in the middle of the air instead of against the print bed, so that the melted plastic just drops out of the bottom of the nozzle onto whatever is below it. When it finishes, you can remove the waste plastic thread.

Now it's ready to print! The printer includes an SD card which you can insert into a slot at the front of the printer just above the controls. The SD card has a sample object ready to print on it, so you can use the controls to select 'print from SD card', and away it goes, starting it's very first print. On my printer, the SD card sample is a small heart trinket, which is to say a cheap dollar store bit of plastic junk. But the printer did a very nice job of creating the little bit of plastic junk, and it took about half an hour to do it. I've also printed the parts for a watch case, which came out nicely, and am looking forward to creating and printing things that are less and less junky, and more interesting.

When the printer begins printing, it will first move the extruder and bed around to prepare, then move the extruder all the way to the right of the print bed and lay down 2 parallel lines of plastic. These give the printer a chance to clear out any bits of thread hanging from the extruder so they don't end up on your object, and also give you a chance to confirm that everything is working well--and cancel the print if need be--before printing your object. Once that's all done, it prints your object. While printing, it will leave it's internal light on for a few minutes so you can see what's happening, and will show print statistics on it's LCD screen. After the light turns off, you can turn it back on by pressing the OK button, then display the statistics again by pressing OK a second time.

Downsides of this printer:

- It uses proprietary filament which only comes in a few colors. This seems to really bother a lot of people. But my take is: Hey, if you have an XBox or Playstation, you know what? You buy proprietary games on proprietary disks. Same with any Apple product, or even an Android phone. I personally don't see this as a huge deal, especially for a 'starter' printer that is designed to be as easy to use as possible. Plus, inventive people have figured out how to work around the filament issue, so I know that if/when I get the itch to use other colors of plastic than those officially sold for this printer, there is a way to do it. (And honestly, some of the plastics that have iron or brass or steel embedded in them or that are glow-in-the-dark, etc. sound kind of interesting. So I may decide to try the workaround at some point.)

- It only supports PLA plastic. After reading the pluses and minuses of the other types of plastic that could be used, this doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. The main alternative, ABS, can perhaps make stronger objects, is more flexible, and can be machined more easily. But it smells while printing, it tends to warp and crack, and it isn't terribly earth-friendly, as it is petroleum-based rather than plant-based like PLA.

- It has terrible software. This is true. I spent some time playing with XYZware while waiting for the printer to arrive, and it's pretty janky and primitive. But that isn't whole story. XYZware only does the final step of turning an idea into a file ready to send to the printer: it scales the object, arranges it, and then 'slices' it into lines that the printer can output as plastic threads. It also attaches 'supports' to connect parts of the object that would otherwise be floating in the air to the print bed or to a lower part of the object. The main competitors, Cura and Slic3r do a much better job at all of these things, don't crash as much, and don't just give up like XYZware tends to do. But this printer will only accept .3w files from XYZware, so you're stuck with it. However, for all of the steps involved for turning an idea into a .STL file ready to send to XYZware, you can use whichever software you'd like. Or just download a .STL file from Thingiverse or one of the many other repositories. Once again, enterprising people have figured out workarounds for this issue, so with a little extra work, you may be able to convince this printer that the file you created in Slic3r was made by XYZware.

- Some other inexpensive printer prints better / more accurately / faster than this one. Probably true. But all of the lower-cost printers I've looked at require a bit of futzing (like hours worth of futzing) before they're ready to print. They don't come with enclosures; many don't come with key parts like power supplies, let alone accessories. Many are kits that you need to assemble. And good luck with actually buying the more popular ones; they tend to be perpetually backordered. You can buy this printer, today, from Amazon, and with Prime, have it on your doorstep in a couple of days.

Overall, this is a really nice 'starter' 3D printer. I'm happy that I bought it, and look forward to printing all kinds of interesting and useful things with it. But first, I have some slightly less junky plastic trinkets to print.
13 people found this helpful
on April 4, 2016
This is my first 3d printer and i chose it for a few reasons. #1 was the price. For $330 i felt comfortable buying a 3d printer having no clue what i was doing. #2 was the easy to use features. This printer is extremely easly to use, grandma could probably print with it. and #3 was based off of user reviews. There were alot of mixed reviews on amazon to i took the the good old interwebs and researched some reviews by cnet and other tech review websites. Overall this printer is a great entry level printer for thoes who want to see if they like it, or thoes who just want to get the feel for it before moving on. I have had this printer for a week and it has the same issues as all 3d printer have. Some prints came unstuck from the bed and messed the print up, the extruder nozzel gets clogged. You may see review saying these things and people blaming it on the printer. Its really just a fact of life for 3d printing right now. If you are looking to get into 3d printing this is a great one to start with. Also, you do have to buy xyz's filament. Im split 50/50 on having to do that because i would like to branch out to different colors and cheaper options but at the same time, with xyz's filament, the temperature and type of filament is auto set by the nfc chip that comes with each spool and the printer reads. This does increase the usibility of this printer for inexperienced printers.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 26, 2016
First impressions, it is pretty cool. If you're a first time user, or just an enthusiast, then this model will be something you like. It comes with a useful kit of cleaning equipment. The 5.9"x5.9" print bed is convenient for small and easy prints, and along with a very friendly and interactive UI, the da Vinci Jr. 1.0 provides the user an exhilarating experience by introducing one to the world of 3D Printing at its finest.

Second Impression, if you're a frequent user, and a bit more experienced, then this model will not satisfy you as compared to a more expensive MakerBot. In addition, on frequent use, the extruder jams almost after 1 or 2 prints. It is not as fast at printing, slicing and changing extruder temperature as other high end models, and the print bed requires changes to the Z-Offset for different kind of prints. There are pleasantly no annoying issues with prints sticking to the bed as long as one provides good surface paper/tape(which is also included in the kit) and the settings are adjusted to the right Z-Offset. On occasions, the print did not stick even so. In such cases, I reverted to printing a brim, (or a raft, whichever you fancy)

Final observations, it is a good model. Any problems that one has to deal with can be easily handled with amazing customer support through phone, website blogs and forums. In addition, the 3D Printer's easy visible assembly allows one to break apart and understand and fix the machine if required. The assembly is very well contained, and the compactness is very nice to behold. A suggestion would of course be to install a larger bed and move the filament roll to behind the printer, but even without that, the da Vinci Jr. 1.0 performs remarkably and I am very pleased with the final results of testing.
6 people found this helpful