Top critical review
4 people found this helpful
NOT compatible with USB chargers, but great battery
on June 1, 2014
It turns out these NEW Microsoft USB Play and Charge Kit (black) when used with the Microsoft Wireless Elite (black) MUST be plugged into the Xbox 360 Elite aka Holiday Edition. Period.
You can NOT use external USB power adapters, NO multi-port USB chargers, NOT EVEN YOUR COMPUTER WILL WORK. All of the reviews/forums you see on the internet about this kit working with those types of non-Xbox360 USB charging devices are all talking about the OLD VERSION of this kit that used to work. It is NOT compatible anymore!
Before you disregard this review as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, let me prove it to you: I tested with every combination of: FOUR (4) of the Play and Charge Kits, TWO (2) brands of Laptops MacBookPro and SonyVaioFlip, FOUR (4) brands of USB multiport wall outlet adapter chargers both with 500ma (0.5amp) all the way up to 2400ma (2.4amp) of 5volt USB output power. NONE of those worked... NOTHING makes the charging light turn on these, except the Xbox 360 elite! To be clear; All of this equipment is brand new from a post-Christmas 2013 holiday sale, and this annoying behavior is happening on ALL of them.
Issues for you to consider:
1. It's way too annoying to have to drag cables all the way across the room to the xbox360 and have these cables plugged into the console, we really wanted to just have the cables plugged into the wall outlet USB multiport chargers right next to our couch. NOPE, NO CAN DO.
2. We REALLY wanted to charge these wireless controllers at night in the USB wall adapter WHILE THE XBOX360 IS TURNED OFF - WHICH IS ALSO TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE.
3. If the xbox360 goes to sleep - which it does constantly in an effort to save power - THE CHARGING LIGHTS ON THE CONTROLLERS ALSO GO OUT AND THEY STOP CHARGING.
In a very interesting twist of fate, I have increased my rating from 1-star to 3-stars, for the following reasons;
1. Even though the included Cable in this Kit has the drawbacks mentioned above, you can now buy this kit at a discount to the point that it might be worth getting it if the price is right - just for the official high-quality Microsoft battery that's included.
2. After over a year of constantly-using our Energizer xbox360 controller battery packs, 1 of 4 now won't hold a charge very long. So, we tried in vein for days to find a quality replacement from either Energizer or Microsoft to no avail.
3. I discovered that Microsoft and Energizer both seem to be starting to phase-out aka discontinue their high-quality longer-lasting Xbox360 wireless controller batteries for the Xbox One versions. I say this because the prices are going UP and they're getting harder and harder to FIND.
So, Don't Laugh, but yes... over a year after returning this kit, and being unable to find an Energizer replacement battery, we've re-purchased this kit on super-sale JUST for the quality official Microsoft battery pack - we got it cheaper than the battery used to be by itself!
Interestingly, we're charging this Microsoft battery in our official Xbox 360 controller with our Energizer Xbox 360 Front-Mounting Wireless Controller Charger Station. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS A BAD IDEA OR NOT. That said, so far in my situation, this Microsoft battery APPEARS to be charging okay I'm guessing because Energizer doesn't use the xbox360 controller's rear-cable but instead uses the xbox360 controller's front-mounting connector.
If you're curious, we've put the cable from this kit in our spare parts drawer for emergency use and don't ever use it.
The bottom line: Quality, long-lasting xbox 360 wireless controller batteries (like the one in this kit) seem to be getting more expensive and harder to find, so you might want to buy a spare if you plan on keeping your x360..........