Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 20, 2014
Our son finally reached the age where some of his favorite games were no longer as much fun on the iPad (e.g., Minecraft), and I was looking for additional ways to have fun interacting with him. He had a ton of fun with his cousin doing Hip Hop Dance Experience over Thanksgiving this year, so, 9 years after the initial release of the Xbox 360 gaming system, we finally took the plunge and purchased this system for him as a birthday gift from Amazon.

As usual, delivery was on time and everything was in perfect shape. This is the "E" console, and has both composite and HDMI outputs (we used the latter). This is a 4GB unit, so you should not plan to load and store tons of games. Given our admittedly limited gaming habits, I don't see this being too much of an issue. The console does, however, have two USB slots, each of which can handle a 16GB flash drive (32GB total additional storage). Because you can swap out flash drives, you can keep different games, profiles, etc. on the drives.

The 2nd-longest part of setting up the unit was pulling out my entertainment center and (re)connecting everything in a sensible way (I believe in cable management). The 3rd-longest part of the set-up was updating the console via Xbox Live (not a huge deal--there were bound to be some), and the longest part of the set-up was creating individual profiles for my son, my wife, and me. You can customize everything from skin color to facial features to clothing (down to the shoes your avatar wears), so we spent a lot of time getting our looks just right. All-in-all, setting everything up took about 2 hours, but it can (and maybe should) take much less time for the average person. Once done, we haven't looked back. The image quality for games will depend greatly on the game itself. Minecraft, for example, will always appear "blocky" but "Gears of War" was stunning. In order to "compare apples-to-apples" I put in a few DVD's, and the quality was extremely good (If you want to play Blu Ray movies, you'll need Xbox One). The bundles comes with a single wireless controller and two games (Kinect Sports: Season 2 and Forza Horizon), but we also purchased Star Wars Kinect Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360 and Minecraft Minecraft - Xbox 360, as well as an additional wireless controller (on sale for $35 at Toys-R-Us) so that at least two people could play everything.

As far as the Kinect unit goes, It occasionally took moving around a bit before a second person will be recognized by the Kinect unit, but only in the Star Wars game thus far. The Kinect has actually done a very good job keeping up with our movements once both people are recognized (there is a bit of lag time that was noticeable to my wife [former athlete, dancer, and model] but not to me). Only once did the Kinect just "shut down" on us, but this was after at least 3 hours of consecutive play. I've moved it and the Xbox console to where it can get better ventilation, and the issue hasn't repeated itself.

All-in-all, this is a fantastic gaming system, even if it is a little long in the tooth and its replacement is already here. Although the storage is limited, I knew this going in, and preferred to spend the money on the Kinect unit rather than a larger hard drive. Besides the cheaper price of the console/Kinect system, another HUGE plus of waiting almost 10 years to buy one is that there are LOADS of used games that are EXTREMELY inexpensive now (I picked up the entire Gears of War series for $15 at a local GameStop). The Xbox was the star of his birthday party, I've lost 3 pounds in a week with the Kinect, the family is having loads of fun, and I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
20 people found this helpful
on December 29, 2013
I bought the holiday bundle with the 4 GB and am pleased with it and the two games that came with it, except for one aspect of the entire purchase. Maybe its a lack of research on my part or lack of product knowledge but I did not know that for some of the games and content for XBOX they require a physical hard drive in the system. The 4 GB system has a flash drive not a physical hard drive. So one needs to purchase a hard drive (99-130 dollars depending on size and retailer) to play some of the games. Had I known that I would have purchased a different bundle, yet still made the purchase. On a side note, if one was to look thru amazon for a off brand hard drive there are mixed reviews on them. After the fact, speaking with a bunch of different people about it, its safer to go with Microsoft generated products on a thing like this vice a off brand. Just a word of caution, take it or leave (based on my limited knowledge)
4 people found this helpful
on October 16, 2017
I bought this in 2014 and have been using it daily since then to work out with the Kinect. It's still going strong, even though it's now outdated. Loved the two kiddie games that came with it so much (Kinect Sports: Season Two and Adventures) that I wound up buying Kinect Sports.
on June 16, 2014
We purchased this for my daughter for a Christmas present it arrived in just a few days time and I was provided emails to let me know when the item was shipping, on the truck out for delivery and when it had been delivered so I knew when to expect the item. It was very well packaged so there were no issues with the item and it works just as promised. I have nothing bad to say about this purchase and would recommend this item and this seller to all who are looking for this type of item.
on December 30, 2013
We bought this as a Christmas present for our 10 year old son. He absolutely loves it. It was a great price and the games it came with are fun. It was easy to set up, however, remember to remove the foam piece in the middle of the Kinect sensor or it will give you an error message. (Had to go online to figure out why and that is what it was. We used an HDMI cable (not included) and it has a great picture. Great way to be active when the weather is too cold to be outside.
on May 2, 2015
Hands down their favorite gift this year. So many more games they can get here than on the Wii. The membership is kinda pricey, especially because they can't share one, the boys each have to have their own at $60/year... but they don't HAVE to have the membership. Just allows them to play with kids from school if they do.
on March 21, 2015
Awesome deal! I love the Kinect ,it is much better than the wii in my opinion. I got it as a birthday gift for my nine year old son and he loves it ..it came with a game for the Kinect and I will tell you it was so much fun,but I was worn out after a couple of hours!! It is hard to stop playing because of the competition and the funny snapshots it shows at the end!
on January 6, 2015
The whole family is absolutely THRILLED with this purchase (Santa gift). Easy to set up and use (much easier than the Wii that we own). No problems using the Kinect. Lots of fun for both kids who usually don't play together! kinect games keep you moving!! love it! We have no interest in first person shooter games, so the Xbox one, PS4, etc had no appeal. Just hope they keep making games for the 360.
One person found this helpful
on August 28, 2015
Bought this for my kids. they love it. I just might buy me a game and use it. I also added the 500 mb hard drive. I figured add it now instead of later. They were playing the old wii, the graphics on the xbox 360 is awesome.
on January 13, 2014
I always wanted a game console. i went with the xbox because i thought it have better graphics. also easier to use. but the reason why i give four stars it there isn't much accessories for it like PS3. I wanted a racing wheel to play my racing games and theres not much options out there for XBOX but for PS3 and PC theres' limitless amount.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.