Customer Reviews: Xbox 360 Wireless Controller - Glossy Black
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

Color: Black|Edition: Wireless|Change

on February 11, 2015
I feel like I'm late to everything that's new in tech, but I recently got a Xbox 360 Bundle that includes this black wireless controller. I had some doubts about the efficiency of the wireless controller, but I've been pleased with it so far.

I initially had these quick thoughts... How long will the battery last? Will I experience lagging all the time? Lag is the most frustrating thing, and we all know it. I have a wireless controller for another system that has always given me problems, thus my reservations about Xbox 360. But fear not, prospective buyer, because Xbox 360 is awesome.

The battery is advertised as having 40 hours of life. That's plenty of life for a couple of AA batteries, and frankly I expected less. Being that I've had the Xbox 360 for just awhile, I'm approaching 40 hours of controller usage and haven't experienced any issues. The time will soon come, but I'm happy with the amount of playing time I've got from a couple AAs. Plus, no tangled wires or tugging at the console.

The controller also has a 30-foot range. I haven't needed to be 30 feet away from the console, but it works just fine from the opposite end of a typical living room. Maybe in some fantasy when I live in a mansion with an auditorium for a game room I'll truly be able to test out the range.

As for the feel in my hands, it's one of the more comfortable and ergonomic controllers I've ever held. I'm seriously considering buying more wireless controllers rather than wired ones. Check out the gold chrome design if you feel like royalty.
44 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2010
I bought this black wireless controller so I could have another wireless controller. Be advised when reading reviews on this product that it appears some people are reviewing the Xbox 360 Silver Controller and Play & Charge Kit, which is a special controller that is different (and more expensive as of this writing) than the black controller I am reviewing. This controller does NOT have any chrome items on it (other than the usual Xbox Guide button), nor does it have any upgrades to the D-pad.

As far as the controller itself, I didn't notice any structural difference between this controller and my old white controller that came with my Pro 20GB Xbox 360 several years ago. I did notice, however, that this controller properly charges my Play & Charge Kit where my old one did not. Prior to buying this controller, my Play & Charge kit would always show the red light while recharging. Since the recharging appeared to work anyway, I didn't think much of it (especially after calling Microsoft and being informed that the warranty on accessories is only 90 days, though that was in 2008). Since I assumed that the battery was at fault the whole time, I was surprised to find out that this controller charged the battery and (correctly) showed a green light when charging was complete.

Though it did not appear to be a structural change to the controller, I had somewhat forgotten (or not realized?) how much wear my controller has taken over the four years (give or take) since I got my console. The new controller gives me a bit more precision in games, especially with the right stick and the pushing of the sticks (for activities like sprinting). The tactility of the sticks (with little raised lines for grip) were a nice reminder of what my controller seemed to have at one time.

This was a satisfying purchase for functionality and the nice sleek look of black. I should also note that while the description of the item is "Glossy Black," this controller isn't really what I would call glossy like you would call the bezel of an LCD monitor or clear coat on a car. It gives off very little gloss in my opinion, which is fine by me.
1111 comments| 290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
If you are purchasing this controller to use with a PC you must buy the wireless receiver separately. This is a controller only!
33 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2015
Really disappointed. This controller is like the fourth one I've bought from Amazon, and it was the first that worked...for a month at least. Connected easily, but now it's acting like it's permanently jammed in one direction. Even when we've re-calibrated, it'll work for a few button moves but then just starts going off in a direction (thereby making it impossible to even a select a screen/game, let alone play it). Guess I just need to buy in store from now on.
on July 21, 2016
Purchased from Direct Distrubuter. One controller didn't even power on. The other controls were kinda sticky and there was corrosion on the battery pack by the terminals. Definitely not "good" condition.
on June 11, 2016
These controllers used to be great, but the quality has gone downhill badly now. They're basically junk. After a couple uses the thumbsticks and triggers started squeaking, it was over 30 days so I called Microsoft. They told me basically to buy another one if it bothered me, there's no warranty after 30 days! The screws seem like they are designed to stay in forever too, no screwdriver bit works for them, they're just round.

There's WAY better controllers out there!
on April 14, 2016
This controller frequently disconnects from the receiver, leaving the center lights surrounding the center button to flash incessantly.
Sometimes, the controller decides to shut off during regular gameplay.
The analog sticks squeak

What a terrible quality these have dropped to, and all for a price of too-damn-much for technology that is almost a decade old already.

**5/02/2016 EDIT**
The controller now flat-out refuses to stay connected to the receiver and frequently shuts itself off more than 10 times during <5 minutes of gameplay. Such trash, avoid this at all costs, I'm going back to a wired controller.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 6, 2015
I bought this awesome looking Gold Chrome controller for my grandsons birthday... and it is safe to say without any exaggeration.. this was his total favorite gift... one of the other grandsons knew what he was getting and told him that when he opened the package.. he was going to scream (8 year olds talking)... well he didnt actually scream.. but the look on his face was priceless.

As soon as he could get the other presents opened and out of the way.... he had the wireless controller set up and paired to the xbox (if that is what it is called .. non techy person here)... and was playing... he had a smile on his face all evening long.

For the technical aspects I can only say that he said it plays 'great' and that he has had no issues at all with game play with it.

It came with batteries and he and his cousins played from 3pm in the afternoon, till around 10pm that night with no issues or negatives....everyone had to have a turn last night after the birthday party, so it had quite a few hours on its break-in time. I just talked to him and he was playing it again this morning on the same batteries.

As far as being wireless... the room where the xbox is at, here at the house is a very small room.. so he was only at anytime no further then 12 feet from the console...but it certainly worked well within that distance.

I cannot talk any technicals details about the controller.. it was a birthday gift, and he totally loved it..and it was well worth the purchase price just to see the look on his face to see a wireless gold chrome controller

I write a lot of reviews as I am a avid shopper here... so even though this is not a lot of techy details in my review, I still hope it was helpful to you... with the number of reviews on this controller, well over 5,000 I am sure I could not possibly write anything that has not been written many times.. so this review was just to say it was a total thumbs up for a 8 year olds birthday present...

I added a photo to show you his excitement when he saw the gold chrome wireless controller
review image review image
on March 28, 2015
To begin with, the actual Xbox controller box was already ripped open and taped up again when I received and opened my amazon box (Pics attached) and the controller has smudges on it. After using it for 2 hours the directional buttons do whatever they want and the D-Pad also skips every 2 or 3 presses. BUYER BEWARE! This controller doesn't work!
review image review image
on October 11, 2015
The left stick squeaks every time I move it. It's really annoying.

This controller disconnects CONSTANTLY. My 5 year old 360 controller I've had for years doesn't have this problem- why does this "new" one have this problem?