Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 144 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 150 reviews
on November 24, 2012
I purchased this sound card because the motherboard in my HTPC doesn't have HDMI or optical out, but my sound system only accepts those two methods for inputting audio. I needed a low profile soundcard, due to the size of my HTPC case, but I didn't want to spend too much. The ASUS Xonar line of cards fit my needs, so that is how I ended up with this card. I opted for the DSX rather than the DGX because it can encode audio into DTS when outputting via optical.

I was worried that adding a sound card to my system because they always seem to have various incompatibility or stability issues. Despite this, I'm happy to say that I haven't had any issues since installing the card. I did initially install the card in a full size (16x) PCIe slot, and I had to move it to a 1x slot before the PC would recognize it. I'm not sure why this would matter...but look out for it if you are having issues with your install. As far as the output, I'm no audiophile so I probably can't comment on any sound quality increase or decrease seen when using this card over the motherboard's integrated sound. It sounds good to me, but this probably has more to do with my Sony sound bar than this card vs another.

The one downside (which has been brought up in other reviews) is that the software for this card (and I assume other ASUS sound cards from this line) looks terrible and is way too confusing. The interface looks similar to an application I would have installed on windows 95, and I'm still not sure if I have the correct settings selected for my setup. I got it to the point where my sound system is showing the dolby symbol or DTS symbol when I watch TV or movies...so I assume I am outputting a surround signal, which is what I want.

Having said all this, the bottom line is that there aren't actually that many options for low cost and low profile audio card. For most of us, on-board audio is probably good enough, but if you are reading this review then obviously you probably have some random reason (like me) for needing an add-in card. If that is the case, then don't hesitate to pick up this card. It does the job well with little setup hassle and (in my experience) no stability issues.

Update: I'm adding this update to my review because although initially I thought I had avoided any of the stability issues sound cards are known for, I was wrong. A short while after installing this card I started getting BSODs about twice a week. For a while I ignored it as I was being lazy and it wasn't happening enough for my to want to troubleshoot it. Eventually however, it was happening enough that I looked into what was going on. Long story short, it was the sound card drivers. Luckily, there are enough people out there with similar issues that someone has developed open source drivers to replace the faulty ones provided by ASUS. If you search the web for "ASUS XONAR Unified drivers" you will find them. Once I got rid of ASUS's drivers and installed these my BSODs were gone. Hopefully this information can save someone the headache and troubleshooting I went through before finding a fix.
on November 2, 2015
It just worked on windows 8.1 64 bit and sound is great. I've been very frustrated with out soundcard for my HTPC. I've tried quite a few now trying to get working drivers that worked with my receiver. Tried a Creative Labs and the driver support is terrible. They just got windows 8 support recently with windows 10 users in the cold. Their drivers are bloated junk. My internal RealTek's drivers wouldn't setup my speakers correctly. Finally the XONAR just works! People may complain about the software not being perfect but it does the job. Setup was really simple and this stands in great contrast with other offerings. I almost skipped over this card because I didn't see the SPIDID connector but it has an adapter like many other cards. Don't worry about the drivers being marked as beta. Creative does the exact same thing. However ASUS is actively supporting their hardware. For an inexpensive piece of hardware we will see how many operating systems this lives through.
on December 13, 2015
More clearer sounds than on board sound. Rifle shots that sound like rifle shots, radios playing in the back ground, foot steps all; around and even echo's when in tunnels and hallways, birds chirping and this has been in one game so far. If you use a headset as I do you will need one with the 3.5 jacks, the card does not have a USB port. It fits in between my graphic cards very well but if you have two GPU's with dual fans it will block some of your air to your card. It also has a very nice utility for set up.
on July 25, 2015
I purchased this sound card after getting the Sennheiser HD 598. The 598 sounded very quiet when plugged into my computer, so I had a hard time hearing anything, even when I turned the sound on max. I was worried that my M5A97 ASUS motherboard wasn't providing enough power to the headphones so I decided to get this sound card after doing some research.

This product comes with the sound card you see in the stock photo, a metal mounting bracket, safety instructions, and installation instructions. After installing it on my motherboard, I notice that it sits extremely close to my GPU fan. So much so that when i turn on the computer, the GPU fan would sometimes hit the HD audio cable that I have connected to the sound card; there is so little space in between that I can't even fit my pinky in between them. That is not the fault of the sound card, I'm saying this more as a warning to people who are purchasing the item to check how close your PCI slot is to your GPU.

The audio center really isn't as bad as people say it is and you can always use audio drivers from other sound cards if you don't like this one. The audio center lets you change the number of channels, what type of audio, and the ability to add dts, hi-fi, and many other various modes. They also come with a various amount of pre-set eqs like jazz and rock. I personally did not like this particular sound card because I didn't hear much difference in sound quality, but it definitely increased the volume of my Sennheisers.

[...]
on January 30, 2014
I am just starting to get back to my vinyls. My first project was to digitize the music. It was turning out to be a journey. After each step I took as good as it sounded, my research said it could get better. I was getting better sound than I remembered from 30 years ago. But the more I listened, the more it sounded like I needed something more. I am using a Technics SL-1700 mk2 from the early 1980's, a Denon DL-110 cartridge and a TEC TE-760LC preamp. But it was going through a good sound processor on the motherboard. But thought I might be able to a little bit better. Then I decided to give this board a shot. I read all the reviews and followed my predecessors' experience and downloaded the 3rd party ASUS drivers for it before it arrived. The physical installation was a snap and I installed the downloaded drivers taking all the defaults. Rebooted the computer and oh no lots of distortion. I changed the preamp from MC setting to MM setting, because the Denon MC cartridge is a high output and wow the best sound I have ever heard. The highs from cymbals and bells are clear and sweet. The bass is full and crisp, not muddied. You can close your eyes and imagine where the instruments are located. This card has an amazing range. I am currently recording in AIFF and in FLAC at 192K and 24 bit. There may be and better for more money, but I wouldn't able to appreciate it. Anyone using this card needs to forget the drivers on the CD and go to " [...]
and download their drivers.
on June 26, 2016
I bought this for out of the box support for Ubuntu 16.04. I haven't done any thorough testing but sounds seems to work all right.

This card doesn't seem to be plug and play for Windows 10. I installed the software provided by Asus on their website, but I didn't see any special functionality. It also seemed all fuzzy and low res. I guess it doesn't support monitor scaling (Hi-DPI displays). I did a complete uninstall of the software and drivers, and then only installed the hardware drivers through device manager. Seems to work just as well. Not sure if DTS and stuff will work with only the drivers installed, but I don't plan on using that feature anyways.
on March 26, 2017
Pretty decent card, much better than on-board, for sure.
I took a star off solely because the drivers from ASUS' website did not detect the card.
Instead program gave a "asus xonar dsx does not exist" and quits.
After a quick google search I found I was not alone.
I ended up getting drivers from maxedtech(dot)com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/ and they installed and worked flawlessly.
on June 21, 2017
I have installed this card in an HP workstation that is our living room HTPC. We watch all our TV, movies, and listen to a lot of music on this system. The sound goes out into a Sony receiver (that is mediocre at best) and then into Pioneer SP-BS22LR speakers (that are fantastic) with the Sony subwoofer that came with the receiver. For movies we also use a Micca Center channel speaker. The improvement in the sound after I installed the card was noticeable immediately in the bass. Before installing the Xonar I would have to turn the volume on the sub at about 5 or 6 to get decent bass. After installing the Xonar I can set the sub volume at about 3 or 3.5 for the same level of bass, and it sounds much clearer as well. I was not sure if there would be much improvement over the onboard sound in the computer but I feel like this card was well worth the price. If you are picky about your sound I would recommend it. If you're not to concerned with sound it probably won't make much difference; my wife didn't hear any difference, but I definitely could. The user interface is ok, but I don't really mess with it too much. I did download the drivers from a third party site, because I read so many reviewers had problems with drivers on the ASUS site.
on December 10, 2014
Purchased for a desktop upgrade that I am using with my stereo as a music server. Installation was a snap and it works well providing me with an Optical output to my external DAC. However, the instructions for accessing the program and the drop down menus is non-existent. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out to switch the output to PCM mode in order to get the optical output to work. Better instructions and a few pictures would be extremely helpful. Also seemed a little pricey compared to some other models, but I am pleased with the performance so far.
on November 19, 2014
Great sound card for the price. I have it paired with klipishce promedia 2.1 speaker set. Sound is clear and its able to power its bass. Sounds MUCH better than my realtec audio in my motherboard. Asus audio control panel isn't full of bloat and can be ignored and closed once settings are set.

Only complaint is its windows 8.1 drivers. Last update was a year ago and its still beta. It works but annoying asus hasn't updated it.

On the linux side things are fantastic.