Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Xpand 3D IR 3d Glasses single 1 pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

on August 27, 2011
REVIEW OF PANASONIC 3D COMPATIBLE GLASSES

I've been doing a thorough comparison of all Panasonic compatible glasses since the Panasonic ones are ridiculously expensive at $130+ per pair. Panasonic knows they have competition and their prices are starting to drop. It looks like the 2011 3rd generation glasses will come in at around a competitive $70. These were due to be released August 1, 2011, so they are already late. Panasonic also announced a recent deal with Xpand partnered with Sony and Samsung to release universal glasses that will continue to make the 3D glasses prices drop.

Here are the testing criteria:

COMFORT - This is probably the most important factor to consider since you don't want temple or nose pain after wearing glasses for a 2 hour movie. I have a large head so what I feel as tight or uncomfortable, the kids and wife don't mind as much.

COLOR ACCURACY - Look through any pair of 3D glasses at a bright natural light source like a window. There's no way to not have some darkness introduced. If you think about it, your eyes are only seeing 1/2 the light they normally would when the lenses are switching back and forth.

REFLECTION - Face away from a bright natural light source while wearing the glasses and look at the light source reflected from the inside of the glasses. None of the glasses I tested were dramatically different from each other or had any sort of noticeable anti-relective coating. This is probably not an issue since most movies are watched in dark rooms, but when watching TV during the day, it can really be irritating.

Here's the summary of my findings to hopefully save you some homework and shipping back and forth. The rating is based on comfort and quality, NOT price.

Panasonic TY-EW3D2MU 3D Active Shutter Eyewear for Panasonic 3D HDTVs - Medium
(Excellent) Panasonic 2nd Gen ($130 and dropping) - I can't deny that these are the most comfortable and light-weight glasses, but they come at the most expensive price point. Introduction of the 3rd generation at $70 should be interesting if they are similar quality.

Xpand Universal X103 3D Glasses Compatible with Active 3D TV's, Black
(Very good) Xpand ($75) - These are fairly comfortable even with my big head. The color and glass quality is identical to the Panasonic and the XPAND have a bigger glass area. They come with a cloth bag versus the hard cases from all the other glasses I tested. The version I had are batteries-only which is a bit of a drawback, but not a deal killer. And speaking of deals--Xpand just made a deal with Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung to produce universal glasses. This alone should tell you that Xpand is the generic to go with.

SainSonic 3D Rechargeable Infrared Active Shutter Glasses For Panasonic 3D HDTVs
(Good) SainSonic ($60 and dropping) - Second only to Panasonic in comfort. Unfortunately, these glasses add a yellow hue to everything. I was going to keep these until I did the color test. Very obvious color distortion. On the reflection test, they were slight better with less reflection, but this also had the yellow hue, so it may just be the darker yellow coating making a darker reflection.

(Good) Blick ($99) - Largest glasses area, but I really don't see the advantage to this if you can see the whole screen with another brand. Their website (glassesunlimited.com) screams of TV-commercial which should be a warning sign. I found their glasses moderately comfortable even with the hard plastic. The color and glass quality on par with Panasonic, but not worth keeping at the $99 price. They are also the only brand to use a micro-USB connection for recharging (which is only slightly inconvenient in the sense that it's different from any other glasses you may have). I'm taking them up on their boisterous 90-day refund policy. We'll see how much of a hassle and shipping cost loss it will be. So far I've only had an automated answering machine which says they aren't available. I may be stuck with these.

___

Hope this helps you a little with your choice of compatible Panasonic 3D glasses!
66 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2010
I own a Mitsubishi WD-73C9 3D television and the 3DC-1000 3D starter pack (two 3D glasses and one emitter). I bought the XPand Universal X103 glasses because I need an extra set for guests. I turned the glasses on and instantly had 3D, I experienced no compatibility issues.
If you own a Mitsubishi TV and want to save $50 to 60$ I'd recommend buying 3DA-1 3D adapter pack (emitter) and two pairs of the XPand Universal X103 glasses.
66 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2010
I have a Panasonic 3D and wear normal glasses , the Panny's never seemed to fit comfortably for my tastes... These feel great , secure on my face , they seem lighter on my nose than the panny's. Wearing glasses inside these felt great because they go snug around your head.You do have to set the glasses for your tv model , for some reason I thought it would automatically do it so that was a little bummer... you have to hold down the power and cycle the button until it matches your brand... it will remember it the next time so no big deal but if you do bring them to someone else's house you will have to remember how to do this or explain it to someone who is using them. My local theater is not xpand so I cannot try the cinema part but thats another setting too! so dont lose those instructions... So if your looking to buy a second or third 3d glasses for your rig consider these for its transportability and at least a change of pace from the glasses that your tv brand forces on you.
added 11/9/10 : Just played hours of Call of Duty black ops in 3D and it looked great!
88 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2011
I purchased FOUR for use with an LG6500DX (LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED Plus LCD HDTV, Espresso) fed by a Panasonic 3d Blu Ray player (Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Wi-Fi Ready 3D/2D Blu-ray Disc Player ) (Tangled (Tangled (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy)) was the test film) and Comcast 3d via TiVO (ESPN football game and a show on the Universe). This is an initial "Out of the Box" report since I have only had the opportunity to watch three to four hours of content:

The packaging - The pill shaped plastic enclosure is sealed in the middle by a piece of thin tape that looks like a label, but is not. Inside, the glasses were well protected. I decided to keep the "Pill" to store the glasses as additional protection.

In the "box" - The box contained the glasses, two foam shipping holders, and a small accessory box. In the accessory box, there was an instruction sheet, two spare batteries (the glasses have one battery in them already for a total of three), three nose pieces of various sizes, and a fabric pouch (for storing and protecting the glasses). In my case, one of the four glasses only had one spare battery. Although a little aggravating, not a major issue.

NOTE - These glasses ARE NOT RECHARGEABLE. They use a lithium watch battery. The manufacture claims between 60 and (on one site) 100 hours of use per battery. I will not know for awhile if these claims are true. The batteries are commonly available, CR2032 Coin Cells (Maxell CR2032 lithium ion batteries (pack of 5 )) that you can buy for as little as $.45 each if you purchase from the web.

Fit - We have two adults and two children, so we set up the four glasses in the four available options: 1) no nose piece, 2) a compact nose piece, 3) a medium nose piece, and 4)a thick nose piece. Nobody wears glasses in the home so that was not a consideration, although the glasses appear to be properly sized so that they would easily fit over a pair of glasses. Much to my surprise, everyone liked the smallest of the nose bridges. The glasses are held on your head by eye glass sides that turn inward. These pinched a little at first, but we all soon adapted to the feel.

The Look - These are not designer glasses so, in my opinion, if you are looking for stylish glasses, these are not them. They are basic black and the lenses are large and have a 1950's throw-back frame style.

Set-Up - A simple pull on the battery isolator and they are ready to go. The instructions were simple, straight forward, and my 12 year old had them all running before I could get the popcorn popped. Different TVs are selected by holding down the power button after they are turned on and the selecting the correct code by sequencing through the the different modes. Once you have selected that mode, the glasses stay in that mode unless you change it, so set it and forget it.

Use - turning on was as simple as pushing the power button. The LED goes from off to dim then to bright and then off during the power up sequence (the power off sequence is the reverse. NOTE - There is no indicator that the glasses or on after you turn them on. this caused some confusion since my son handed them out after turning them on for everyone and handing them out. My two cents, each person turns them on when they are on your own head.). We are viewing a 60" LED TV from 10 feet. The four of use spread across our couch, with the maximum angle off center less than 100 degrees. The center seats do get the better effect, but all four seats had good 3d experience. The brightness of the glasses was excellent, and the dimming was not noticeable. We watched the first movie in daylight. At night, in a dim room, the picture was outstanding. The glasses remained on and did not loose sync during the 90 minute feature film in daylight lit room.

NOTE: Some people complained of "SYNC" issues. I did not see any of these issues during use, even in daylight. I even tried walking around the room and at no point lost the signal.

Crosstalk or Ghosting - This was very minimal and much less then what we saw with the LG glasses. It seemed to be only in the menu sections of the DVD and with the text. I am very sensitive to this, as is my wife, and both of us were very pleased with the resulting images.

Frame Rate - These glasses, like all active glasses, shutter between the right and left eye. For some people, this can cause issues. I am very sensitive to this and can become "motion sick". I was able to watch the entire film without discomfort.

Comfort and view - Again, no issues. After a slight initial "tight" feeling" the comfort was excellent and the glasses stayed on everyone's head without movement. The frames are big enough that your field of view is not narrowed.

SUMMARY - These are a great buy and allows you the flexibility to buy a different TV later on without buying a new set of glasses. I just wish they were priced at $50 to make them more affordable.
on September 27, 2011
I don't write product reviews very often but I just had to write one for these bad boys! If you are looking for a pair of 3D glasses that are comfortable, perform just as well if not better then the original 3D glasses that came with your Mitsubishi 3D Kit (or possibly with your TV), and are cost effective then you need to try the Xpand 3DG-X103 for Mitsubishi 3D TV's. These things are fantastic! They are VASTLY more comfortable then the original Mitsubishi 3D glasses and I honestly think that they perform better as well. The lenses are just a touch darker then the original Mitsubishi 3D glasses but you'd only notice if you do extensive comparative testing like I did. There is also a slight color progression in the lenses from light to dark but it is at the extreme left and right edges of both lenses; the center is nice and clear and consistent and the color progression does not interfere with the viewing experience in any way. The only real downside to the glasses is that they aren't rechargeable but that's not a big deal to me, just a feature that would have been nice. THESE are the glasses that should come in the 3D kits and with the TV's. They are even featured on the Mitsubishi home page [...] in the "Accessories" section so even Mitsubishi endorses them! Don't waste your money on any other brand of 3D glasses, these are the ones you want!!!

NOTE: If you aren't using the Mitsubishi 3D kit, you might need to get at least 1 Xpand 3DG-EX103; it has the emitter with it and is a bit more expensive but still well worth it, in my opinion. You might want to check the Mitsubishi home page [...] for more information about this and compatibility with your model of TV.

My home theater system: Mitsubishi WD-65836 65" Rear Projection TV, Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D Kit, Sony PS3 Slim model with Blu-Ray 3D firmware, Onkyo TX-SR806 THX Certified Receiver with 7.1 Sony surround sound speakers and subwoofer
on January 21, 2011
I bought these as additional glasses for Samsung UN55C8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D LED HDTV, and also to use when I go to my friends house to view 3d Sony. First off almost everyone who has worn these glasses vs the Samsung glasses prefers these for comfort. They come with a nice hard case to store them in, a typical lint cloth type sunglass bag, 3 different nosepieces, and spare batteries.
None of the glasses I have put on get any style points so if you were hoping for the Roy Orbison look while wearing 3d glasses forget it. These are just as large and silly looking as any other pair that you might want to buy. These fit well over prescription glasses as long as the prescription glasses are not overly large frames.
Now for the issues that I see: All of the 3d glasses I have used have what I like to think of as an automatic 3d sensing device built into them. If you are wearing the glasses and walk away from the 3d source, say for instance from living room to the kitchen, the glasses will automatically shut off. You usually have to press the power button on them again when you walk back, but not always.
The Samsung glasses have no problem discerning when a 3d signal is present and have yet to auto shut off while in 3d mode. The Xpand glasses however, on occasion flicker on and off during 3d operation. Initially I assumed that it was a battery issue, but after trying multiple pairs and multiple batteries I have come to the conclusion that the glasses don't have as good of an automatic sensing device as the Samsung glasses that come in the bundle pack.

These glasses do however work with the Sony 3d where as my Samsung glasses will not.
on February 26, 2011
These glasses are amazing. I bought a pair to try with my Panasonic VIERA TC-P50VT25 because the eyewear that came with it (1st Gen.) and the starter pack (2nd Gen.) just wasn't comfortable. With the OEM eyewear I found myself wanting to stop half-way through a movie because my nose and ears were in so much pain. For the record- I don't wear glasses now, but I used to, so something like 3D glasses shouldn't be a big deal.

Beyond being incredibly comfortable for me, the Xpand glasses actually show off the Panasonic for the amazing 3D platform it really is. The OEM glasses always seemed too dark to me, and while I had to actively look for it- they allowed more ghosting than I was expecting, perhaps as much as 20%. I watched several scenes and compared the amount of ghosting between OEM and the Xpand glasses. The best I know of is the "Tree of Voices" and "Tree of Souls" scenes in 'Avatar'. I really couldn't see any ghosting with the Xpand glasses! Like everything else- it's subjective, but there was a really big difference between these and the OEM glasses for me.

I don't know if it's a faster shutter speed or better sync to the TV, but besides eliminating ghosting- I also got a much brighter and clearer/crisper picture with the Xpand glasses. Everything just popped, and the "Wow Factor" really kicked into overdrive. I have to say that it is really a shame that the OEM glasses don't cut it, especially when Xpand glasses generally cost less and perform better.

I'm planning to buy at least a couple more pairs soon. My family and friends seem to like the OEM glasses, but I have a feeling once they see and feel the difference- I'm going to need more Xpands. If you are disappointed with the comfort or performance of the OEM eyewear for your system- give these a try!

Be sure to get the right eyewear for your system. Xpand's Web site has a good list of compatible systems. These work with most plasma and LCD sets. Xpand sells DLP-Link glasses too (X102) for those with DLP 3D systems. DLP-link is a different technology than the IR-sync the X103 glasses use, and so it requires a different type of glasses.
on January 9, 2012
We are entering the 3D world with a new Mitsubishi DLP TV and a new Panasonic DVD player, so we needed 3D glasses. After some reading/research, I ordered the Xpand X103 Universal Active Shutter 3D glasses. With only one hitch, these glasses are behaving very well now.

The hitch was in the setup documentation that came with the glasses. The documentation showed that Mitsubishi should be the #1 (default) setting (out of 6 different configurations). We locked the glasses in the #1 setting and started watching a 3D movie. The 3D seemed to 'come and go,' sometimes being distinctly 3D and sometimes being muddled. Although we were not impressed, we watched. A day later, we tried another movie; it started the same 'come and go,' so I tried the other settings.

When setting #4 took effect, the 3D kicked in for real. We were watching 'Captain America,' and the depth perception and clarity were exactly what someone would want to see.

The moral is: you may not be able to trust the documentation. You may have to experiment with the settings to find the one that best suits your system.

These glasses are battery powered (supplied with the glasses), and the battery is a common size, so buying replacements will be easy.

Turning these glasses ON/OFF is easy with a button along the left temple area.

They do not have 'Auto-Off,' so you need to remember to turn them OFF when finished.

Changing the settings is described accurately in the documentation, and it is easy to see what setting you are testing (by how many 'blinks' you get from a small light in the frame).

Each pair of glasses comes with a set of nose pieces that snap onto the nose bridge of the glasses so that you can custom fit them to different size faces/noses. Once you find the right size for your nose, the glasses fit comfortably, even over your prescription glasses.
on November 11, 2011
I just got my glasses yesterday and I am totally hyped up! I want everything in 3D now. I have the 82 inch 3D ready Mitsubishi TV and these glasses worked perfect with it.
My first trial with the glasses was Batman Arkham City on Xbox 360! AWESOMENESS!! No ghosting. And one thing I thought would be a concern but wasn't was me thinking that my nose would start to hurt or maybe my ears from the arms of the glasses after extended use. NOPE! They are so light weight and comfortable you will forget they are on. And I played for like 3 hours straight.
In the package it comes with a super soft bag that the glasses fit in perfectly, two replaceable batteries (yes batteries. They glasses are not rechargeable. Don't fear, each battery will last you about 100 hours and are pennies to buy) directions, and 3 different sized nose guards so u can swap the nose piece to suit ur nose comfortably.
The price was not bad either. Compared to some other glasses that aren't even universal like xpand, these are really inexpensive.
The only thing I wished these classes had was auto shutoff. If u don't turn them off, they won't turn off automatically because of inactivity. But that's a small thing really, just shut them off like you would do anything else. And even if u don't, like I said the batteries are so inexpensive that it's really not that big a deal.
To wrap this up, these glasses are a great choice, if you want some decent, inexpensive, lightweight and work the way they are supposed to 3D glasses, look not further. These are the ones you've been looking for!
on April 6, 2012
I recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL-55NX720 which is 3d capable but comes without glasses. The 3d factor was of interest to me and being a bit of an electronics geek. I had to get 3d glasses and check it out. Rather than getting just one type of 3D glasses I decided to get 3 different compatible glasses and check them out. The three glasses I got are:

Xpand X103
Sony TDG-BR250
PlayStation 3 3D Glasses

I wear rimless bifocal lenses that are 32 mm tall. For comfort I would rank the glasses as follows:

1. Sony TDG-BR250
3. PlayStation 3D glasses
3. Xpand X103

All of the glasses worked over my prescription glasses but I found the Sony TDG-BR250 to fit over my glasses best and to be the most comfortable. I found the Xpand X103 the least comfortable though they are OK and I don't really have an issue sitting through a movie. Based on other reviews, the comfort level varies quite a lot from viewer to viewer. Both the PlayStation glasses and the Xpand were a little more awkward to get adjusted over the glasses. So for me, that was probably the biggest comfort factor. None of the nose pieces that came with the Xpand gave me a great fit. The PlayStation glasses had an adjustable nose piece that worked better for me.

For 3d performance I would rank them in the following order:
1. PlayStation 3D glasses
2. Xpand X103
3. Sony TDG-BR250

The PlayStation 3D and the Sony TDG-BR250 resulted is similar colors and brightness. I think I got the most flickering with the BR250s but hard to say on that count, none were bad. The TDG-BR250 looked good as long as you kept your head level, if you tilted it even slightly to the left or right, the picture got lighter and there was abundant crosstalk. The PlayStation glasses have a polarization filter that reduces the crosstalk and it definitely works. The Xpand glasses were similar to the PlayStation glasses with crosstalk performance. You could tilt your head left or right and the picture didn't change much. However; the picture was a touch darker with the Expand glasses and the colors were a touch different. I liked the brighter picture and the color rendition of the Sony glasses better. You could probably adjust your picture so that the Xpand glasses would give you a similar color/brightness profile if you were just using Xpand glasses. The color and brightness wasn't so different that watching programing with the different brands would be a big deal.

I know the Xpand 103 glasses work for brands other than Sony. They were easy to synch with my Sony tv. I believe the SonyPlaystion glass are also universal for infrared (but not the newer Bluetooth) systems. They are listed as compatible with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, and Sharp Active Shutter 3D. At least for the Sony system, they synced automatically. The TDG-BR250 are meant for Sony systems. So another plus for the Playstation glasses at least with my system.

Both sets of Sony glasses are rechargeable. The Xpand uses an easy to get inexpensive battery. I haven't had the the system long enough to know which I prefer. It is really going to depend on how long the battery lasts on the Xpands versus how often the Sony's need to be charged and how well they hold their charge if unused for a period of time. Since I use the Xpand battery type for a locator system I use to find my cats when they go outside, I always have a ready supply of the batteries. I'm guessing I would actually prefer the battery system, which I assume will not need batteries very often, to recharging. The Sony's are supposed to only need 3 minutes of charging for an hour of viewing so they charge fast. Still, stuff that recharges tends to not stay charged if it sits around unused for a period of time. I can see it being a pain if someone comes over and wants to check out the 3d but the glasses need charging. Same goes if we get more content on TV. Batteries tend to not run down for a long time when idle and can be changed immediately (IF you have the batteries on hand) if they are dead.

Here's my final rank

1. SonyPlaystation 3D glasses
2. Xpand 103 3d glasses
3. Sony TDG-BR250

There are polarizing filters available from Sony for the TDG-BR250 that are supposed to correct the crosstalk issue. I ordered a pair from Sony today at no cost. If they work, I might raise the Sony TDG-BR250 to the top of the list since, for me, they are the most comfortable. Still, one should have to go to the trouble of getting an extra part in order to make a product useable.