Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon May 31, 2011
I have to admit that I am a big fan of Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen. They have changed the way many Americans look at health and the major causes of diseases. While most of the medical community is focused on fixing existing problems with drugs and surgery, they are so much into prevention.

One of the underlying causes of so many problems is related to what we eat (and how much). This is a condensed version of their previous book, "YOU: On a Diet". It is just over 100 pages and features 99 of their best ideas of keeping the weight off.

One of the great things about this book is that it covers almost every part of eating and weight issues, including lifestyle, exercise and the important role of your mind and eating.

If you have read their previous books, you may be tempted to skip this. Instead, you may find it to be a great reminder. I have gotten into the habit of reading one of the short tips every day and focus on making it a habit. I've found that reading a book once usually means I retain about 10% of the information.

Sections 47 - 63 actually consist of a 20 minute workout. There are recipes spread throughout the book as well, with a 14 day diet plan at the end.

If you skipped their other books because they were a bit big, this may be perfect for you. It is an easy to read book with straight-to-the-point information without the excess verbiage. Admittedly, some of the information is obvious, but we all need to be reminded. It would make a great companion to more feeling-oriented books.

Bottom Line: This is a concise book of usable information without all of the fluff. It is written by medical doctors, not writers. This style will probably not appeal to everyone. If you like basic information, you probably will like this. If you enjoy more feeling oriented books, you might want to check out Geneen Roth's books, or Marianne Williamson's "A Course in Weight Loss".

Bill Cashell - Author of "The Emotional Diet"
134 helpful votes
135 helpful votes
on February 24, 2010
I have YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy and DVD. I consider myself in pretty good shape. I worked out a lot prior to my pregnancy. Running, yoga, pilates, resistance training. I started this workout in my first trimeser. Enjoyed it. Moved onto my 2nd trimeter... this is the same workout that they have in the book - I *love* it. If I don't do it at home in the AM I do it at work w/ pages I copied from the book at the gym. It really is a great workout. My husband swears its sculpting my arms. I do it usually every other morning 3-4 days a week. I alternate w/ 10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates.

This workout is great for me in the mornings prior to work. I feel like a few of them get my heart rate up and my body moving. Very important for me as I sit at a desk for the majority of the day before I go running after work. (Yes I still run.)

This workout and the book are my two favorite items I have bought to help me stay healthy and prepare me and my body for birth and parenthood.

The sections include:
1st Trimester
2nd Trimeser
3rd Trimester
Post Delivery Notes (eye opener!)
PP Workout

It really is a full service DVD that is great.

Thank you!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on May 26, 2017
I think that this book was written when Mehmet was a budding star doctor and still appearing on Oprah's show, however it is a great book. Written in somewhat of a bland manner, but they throw some humor in there to keep it fun--And it's just interesting period.
on January 20, 2010
I was a little wary buying a workout with no reviews and little in the way of a preview. Some of these pregnancy workouts feel like little more than breathing exercises. Not so with this video! This was back-ordered and I just got it...in my second trimester. (I was so sick in my first trimester that I am not sure I could have done it anyway so Amazon gets a pass on that one.) So I can't comment on the 1st trimester workout.

2nd trimester: It's a real workout! There are different levels depending on how far along you are or how comfortable you are. The arm workout is good and so are the legs.

3rd trimester: Even though I haven't done it yet, I previewed it. I've been pregnant before and it's reasonable for how heavy and, at times, in pain you can be that trimester. There's a lot more sitting, but it's good for, if nothing else, keeping the motivation and habit up, which is probably about as much as you can expect towards the more exhausting end.

Post-delivery notes: This section was a surprise, but a welcome one. It includes exercises you can do "the day you deliver as long as you haven't had a c-section and then you need to check with your doctor." I loved the idea of getting started right away. It's not a workout to get you back in your skinny jeans a week after you deliver, but rather simple exercises you can do to help feel a little stronger and normal again. There is also a comprehensive explanation on how to figure out if you have a diastasis.

PP Workout: Also looks reasonable and good, though may not be used for long if you have bigger goals. After my first baby I remember getting winded on a 6 block walk and had to work at getting my strength back. This is the workout that can bridge that gap.

There is a lot of repetition of how careful you need to be with weights and such, but that's to be expected. Ultimately, it's a very reasonable price for workouts that will actually take you through the whole pregnancy.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on October 29, 2012
per my doctor's advice, i bought this book as a reference manual for personal health.
i was 255 lbs overweight, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, cramps in the body and aches in the joint.
very bad health.
following the advice of this book, i lost 75 lbs, sleep apnea gone, blood pressure normal, diabetes gone, pains/aches all gone.
all done without medication. thanks to this book.
MUST HAVE for any person serious about health.
2 helpful votes
on January 16, 2014
I was looking forward to reading this book and using it as an accessible reference. Alas due to its poor formatting, this will be very difficult to do on my iPad. The pages do not fit well on the screen, the text sometimes winds up in the wrong place and it is just not easy or fun to try to read. I was expecting more from both the publishers and from Amazon.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on July 16, 2010
Having read a large number of books for my 1st pregnancy, I decided to buy this one for the second - in spite of the overall poor reviews. I, like others, was intrigued by the epigenetic discussion and had heard good things about the YOU books in general. I was sorely disappointed. For starters the epigenetic discussion is not only short, but confusing and failed to differentiate between things that were clinically proven to promote epigenetic changes (for instance smoking) from those that are merely the authors hypothesis (i.e., unhealthy eating in general). The end result was the conclusion on the epigenetic section read more like the "What to expect" best odds concept - we-have-no-proof-but-why-don't-we-try-to-make-you-do-these-things-anyway...

The strength of this book is that it does go into substantial detail on the changes taking place in your body due to pregnancy. The discussion on hormonal changes, fetal growth etc. are the most detailed I have read in any pregnancy book. Unfortunately, the same descriptions are sprinkled with gratuitous sarcastic comments which are either disturbing to anyone who believes woman have half a brain or someone with an actual sense of humor. In the interest of gathering the information I tried to ignore these BUT...I did put down the Kindle more than once because I could not go one.

The weakness of the book is that in addition to the medical detail, it tries to rapidly cover the typical pregnancy book topics - what to buy the for baby, how to prepare, how to chose an OB/GYN etc. These are covered in much less detail than other better books and read like a last minute add on.

If you are interested in medical details this book is excellent with the caveat of the annoying comments. If you want a good general pregnancy book, this certainly is not it. For people interested in non condescending detail as well as a high quality general guide, "I'm Pregnant" by Leslie Regan (a DK book) is excellent.
on January 23, 2013
I felt this book was very informative. Before I read this, my idea of exercising was based on YouTube videos and web site articles. But I never felt like I knew what I was doing with my body. Though I would lose weight, I'd always have some kind of side effect based on a supplement I took or the type of food I ate.

But once I read this book, I started realizing that some of the things I did and/or ate, were contributing to my body being unhealthy regardless of my exercise (even looking healthy didn't mean I was).

All in all, I bought this book for my parents because it was so informative on the body and there aren't very many books that cover the WHOLE body, but this one does.

Would I recommend this book? I already have, even buying it for my parents.

My Con: It's such a big book, I felt exhausted after reading it. So much information, my brain felt like a fried egg.
on December 28, 2014
I am enjoying this book. Good sound advice that encourages and sparks my interest to further research.
This book is written in an encouraging and thoughtful way.
I am inspired to take better care of myself and instead of focusing on eating right and exercising and taking care of what goes into my body simply with the goal of losing weight, this book points out the benefits to our brains and overall health. I believe having a focus of better health, internal "beauty" and longevity, will prove more successful, that simply focusing on weight loss and external beauty.
on May 24, 2012
Book is a nice help to aid in my weight loss quest. Well explained; laid out nicely. Oz knows his stuff.This is not your regular diet book.
7 helpful votes