Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Yama Glass 6-8 Cup Cold Drip Maker Straight Black Wood
Color: Black|Change

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on July 13, 2012
I bought this for my husband for father's day and he was so exited! Here is how I got to the buying, maybe I can get you to the fun part faster than I got there!

I had seen this on Amazon I don't even know how long ago and even though we are huge coffee fans I wasn't sure about getting it. We had a Toddy maker Toddy T2N Cold Brew System (which is fabulous btw) and I just wasn't sure how much different this would be, plus it was fragile, not good with an autistic teenager in the house, not to mention how expensive it was. So I saved it to my list and mulled it over, and over, and over....

Meanwhile the kid moved out, and we found a great coffee house that actually had one of these. My husband tried their drink which is the coffee concentrate over ice, no water added. He loved it. Right then I decide to finally get this for him. It arrived well packed and nothing broken. He was so happy when he unpacked it and totally surprised that I had found one. :) When put together it is so cool looking. You just know a scientist in his lab was working late one night and needed coffee so he came up with this! As for my husband, he is making a batch every week now. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because it has next to no instructions. Getting the brew right is quite tricky and more detailed instructions would really help with that.

So this is what I know about brewing with it...You have to refill the water (usually once) as it brews, the grind you use is important, not unlike espresso, too fine and it brews too slow (over extracted, bitter concentrate) too coarse and it brews too fast (under extracted, sour concentrate) sorry I can't tell you more about that, but really it is going to vary based on where you live and how humid the air is, if it is anything like espresso. You also have to adjust the drip speed at the spigot several times while it is brewing. I don't know how much you can make up for the grind with the spigot drip speed, as I have never made it. It is his, so he is the barista here. The instructions say you should finish brewing in around three hours.

I can tell you the smell of the concentrate is AMAZING! It hangs in the air around the maker like an invisible cloud from the time the concentrate hits the decanter, until you cap it and put it in the fridge. Even if it is not brewed to perfection, the coffee that comes out of this is good, when you finally get it right it is just awesome. It doesn't make a ton though, so my husband likes to add it to his regular coffee for an extra shot of coffee goodness, that way it lasts longer.

Oh and as for the Toddy they are totally different creatures. They produce a different tasting concoction, both are a concentrate and both are lower acid than hot brew methods, but they are both worth getting if you already have a Toddy maker. As a matter of fact that great coffee house had both kinds of drinks on it's menu. If you have never done cold brew before and are trying to decide which one to try first, you may want to start with the Toddy, it is much simpler and a good starting point.

I am planing on getting the filters for the AeroPress AeroPress Micro-Filters, Package of 350. I THINK they are the size of paper filters you need for this, and you get 350 of them in the package for very little money, worth a try anyway. I will try to update this when we try it.
Update: these filters are a great size, the fit really well, the one thing my husband said was that they didn't wet uniformly and the water started to make a little river out of itself on the filter, he pressed the filter flat into the grounds when he saw it, that got it wet all over and solved the problem. I suggested he pre-wet the filter next time. I would think just being slightly damp would solve that problem, something to try anyway ain't physics fun! Another thing I wanted to point out was that the maker of the filters actually suggests that you rinse and reuse the filters, if you want to do that. So if you are a green reuse type of person, or just a really cheap one (Hi Mom!) that's another reason to like these filters.

Bottom line: this is not a coffee maker for someone who just wants an easy cup of joe. This takes some tinkering, but if you are inclined, it is fun to do, so good, and really a work of art in it's own right.
22 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 12, 2014
My girlfriend purchased this cold brew coffee maker for me for my birthday. Truthfully, I have been eying this coffee maker for a long time. There was a coffee shop I used to go to that had one (bigger version) and the coffee was amazing. At first I thought the price was too much and so I tried both the toddy system and using mason jars. Both were ok but honestly the coffee brewed through this coffee maker tastes amazing. It's all flavor. No burnt or weird after tastes. I drink my coffee black so there isn't anything put in my coffee that could mask any bad flavors. I know the price seems steep but it is absolutely worth it.
on September 1, 2017
Great products, makes great Cold Brew Coffee. I have able to impress my co-workers who know want to start their own journey into Cold Brew coffee.
review image
on November 29, 2017
Best way to make cold coffee. You're not soaking coffee in water overnight (gets a bit nasty), very clean, great flavor. Depending on bean and roast you can have coffee that's almost tea-like or closer to a smooth-scotch/cigar.Flavor-profile (ha!) changes over a few days storage of a batch.
on September 7, 2017
bought it for my hubby and he went absolutely crazy for it. He loves it, uses it very often and enjoys the cold brew it makes very much.
on November 13, 2013
This makes great coffee. I like the lower acid result of cold coffee extraction. For me with regular coffee my stomach hurts and I get an itchy tongue, but not if it is cold extracted. I think this coffee is even a bit better than my past ways of making cold extract coffee. It's definitely more fun, actually takes very little working time on my part, and I like having this cool vintage looking object in my kitchen. It definitely draws comments from guests who want to know what it is. After I do the extraction I put the coffee in my fridge to cool and then drip it through a second time. I find this makes it a bit richer and is worth it.
on September 24, 2017
Cool contraption! Glassware came undamaged!
on January 25, 2018
very nice product.
on March 9, 2017
Everything perfect
on April 19, 2016
Heavenly cold brew coffee and a great piece of furniture!