Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on March 31, 2016
I love this receiver. I was looking for a good quality receiver which would drive 2 Definitive Tech UIW83A in-ceiling speakers in my kitchen using Airplay. Also, I wanted the receiver to turn off (or be in standby mode) when I am not streaming music and save power. And, to automatically turn on and start playing music as soon as I start streaming via Airplay via my/wife's iPhone at anytime. This receiver does the job and it does it well. I purchased this for 299$ and I think it's great value for the money. I am an audiophile and I love the sound quality from my kitchen speakers (which is a function of both the speakers and the receiver). Earlier, I bought the RS201BL, which is a cheaper version of this receiver (also by Yamaha) and thought of using Bluetooth receiver to stream music. But that plan flopped due to a bunch of issues (e.g. Bluetooth range etc.) and I returned that receiver (RS201BL) and got this one instead.
on July 14, 2017
Using this with some Polk outdoor speakers and so far I am impressed with what this $200 receiver can do!

PROS:
- Phone app allows you to control power, volume, inputs and stations. This means if you connect the receiver to the same network as your phone, you can place it out of sight and use your phone as the remote control.
- Plenty of inputs - I connected a computer, CD player, and Bluetooth adapter.
- If you're a programmer you can control this thing with some simple XML api calls and build your own remote app or schedule it to turn on and off while you're away.
- Screw-down speaker connectors (not springs) for a firm connection.
- Was able to browse and play songs from a UPNP server on the network from the remote app.

CONS:
- No "tape loop" for an equalizer. (Yes, I know you can install an EQ inline, but that would only apply to one remote controlled input.)
- No loudness control or tone adjustments beyond bass and treble.
- The remote app is great once you find it, but Yamaha has too many apps! The one you want for this receiver is "NP Controller".
- Once in the app, changing sources is obvious but volume is not. Tip: click the little arrow at the bottom to "reveal" the volume and power buttons.

CONCLUSION:
They really "knocked it out of the park" on features with this receiver. On sound quality, I have owned a Yamaha surround receiver in the past and been impressed with it, so I was willing to take a chance on this one despite lack of advanced tone controls or equalizer. However, after adjusting the bass/treble controls to my liking, it sounds decent and seems to be working well for outdoor speakers.
on June 24, 2017
I decided that I needed an amplifier to power 4 speakers and sonos connect amp couldn't do it. This seemed perfect as I didn't really need it to integrate with my other sonos stuff since these speakers were outdoors.

There are 2 problems 1) I can't control the volume on the A and B channels separately and 2) Spotify connect randomly drops out with this amp or it switches to another song midway into a song. In short you can't rely on it. I had to buy a used sonos connect to play to this. And that combination works perfectly. But it cost me $250 extra for something this was supposed to do.
on August 2, 2016
Great product so far, it does have some issues with streaming spotify and other services from my phone but that is most likely a software issue on one end or the other. The app could use some love too, but it's not a deal breaker. All in all, No other network receiver in this price range is going to hit everything you're looking for like this does.
on March 31, 2016
I needed something simple for my backyard entertainment complex. This has dual zones so I can play the pool speakers and the fire pit area at the same time. I can operate it from an app on my phone, and Chromecast Audio works great on it. It even has a USB power jack. I didn't need all the bells and whistles of the more advanced receivers. This one is perfect for my use.
on June 21, 2016
Great unit for my workout area. The built in Pandora and airplay provides the flexibility to have a broad range of music when I am exercising. The iPhone app to control all the functions of the unit is a super feature and very well thought out.
on July 13, 2015
Very nice work Yamaha! Connected our FM antenna and a network cable, nice FM reception, better feature was how playing Spotify on the iPad, could select this receiver as one of the "speakers" and the music just "automagically" plays thru the Yamaha...didn't "do anything" to make that happen!
on December 21, 2016
Nice 2 zone airplay,ip radio, pandora/Spotify amplifier. FYI you do need a hardline Ethernet connection. Paired it with Yamaha in ceiling speakers,sounds awesome. Easy to setup and the app makes it easy to control most aspects but you still want to keep the remote handy
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 21, 2016
The iPhone app wasn't useful, I never could get it to work; and playback from any device still isn't working. However, it plays CD's very well, just like the Pioneer from 1988 that it replaced.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 13, 2015
Purchased two of these to use in different areas mainly for network music sources - DLNA, AirPlay and Internet radio in particular. I chose this model primarily because of the price and the simplicity of the front panel controls. Five channel AV receivers were available for similar prices but didn't want their complexity or size.
The above sources sound excellent, net radio sounds much better than I expected. Navigation is easy, music is very clear and detailed for these sources. It is connected to an Airport Express hub and Energy CB-5 speakers. With these speakers I don't feel the need for a sub in a 14x16 room.
One issue: the receiver came with Firmware version 1.01 installed and many of the the remote control commands were not being recognized buy the first unit I setup, after update to version 1.02 the remote worked perfectly. I almost immediately updated the 2nd unit so I don't really know if the issue affected that one.
In terms of construction and appearance, it has a very attractive minimalist look to my eyes, the casing is metal and feels solid, All the buttons and knobs are plastic but could pass for metal if you didn't touch them, same goes for the front panel, on tapping it one realizes it's plastic.
I completely recommend this unit if your needs are similar to mine.

Update: if you're looking at this, consider the 2016 update - the R-N402, more expensive but with wifi, Bluetooth and MusicCast.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.