Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 3, 2013
Technology improvements have really made Home Theater Receivers way better and cheaper over the last 15 years.....after listening to this one I would say the last 5 years were really good. I was leary about spending 'only' $250, but there were enough good independent reviews that I decided to go for it. I did not want wifi on my HT reciever - got Laptop and Roku for that. I did not want 7.1 HT as I live in a normal house (this is in a 15x20 room). I did need more HDMI inputs than my 6 year old Onkyo had. And lastly I am somewhat frugal and do not always need the next new thing. I am running Definitive Technology ProCinema 100 HT speakers (yes, they are indeed over 15 years old and still awesome). The one bummer about this yamaha receiver is they only have banana plug inputs for the front main speakers. The others are cheap push connecters that do not work well if you are running thicker than 18 gauge speaker wire - I was not a happy camper removing banana plugs, cutting, striping wires, and figuring out the best way to get a good connection. Twenty minutes later I had it setup and ran the auto setup for the speakers. The first thing I did was put on a familiar movie (Oppo Blu-ray) to gauge the results. It was immediately evident this was an significant upgrade from my Onkyo TX-SR605 which was highly rated in 2007 (I think it cost around $400....the Onkyo was way better than my 1998 $1000 Denon AVR-3200).

I played with the pre-programmed sound options and the sound coming out is more present, more dynamic, more wow....it was very enjoyable. I then put on a CD - this is where I found a huge difference. My PM100 speakers are great for Movies, but just good not great for CD's. That is no more - now CD's sound great. I played with the pre-programmed sound options some more....this is really cool. I then ran some youtube from laptop to HT. There is a noticeable dropoff in sound quality here....played some more with PPS and did get noticeable improvement in sound. The sound from Roku was better than youtube.

I gave 4 not 5 stars because of the speaker connections.....might be the best $250 I ever spent.
60 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on April 19, 2017
I've had this receiver for 5 years now and overall I'm satisfied, though there were some definite hangups. The remote was total garbage. My first just stopped working within a year of use. I ordered a replacement through Yamaha, and this one bit the dust within a year too. Eventually, I bought a programmable universal remote instead of taking my chances with another remote.

The receiver has also started dropping my audio over the past year. Often times, the audio will clip out then back in when I'm starting up new media (e.g. every time I pick a show off Netflix, the first 5 seconds or so has no audio, then it powers on).

I primarily used this for 2.1 sound, but I am now looking at 5.1 and I'm not thrilled by the spring posts for the center and rear channels.

All these gripes aside, the receiver has treated me well overall for 5 years. I would give 1 star for the remote and 4 stars for the physical receiver itself if possible. A decent entry-level receiver.
on November 17, 2014
Wanted to share this helpful info on the RX-375, and that the HTR-3066 IS SAME unit..

Here's what the Yamaha website says on its support FAQ: The RX-V377/HTR-3067 is the latest model in that series and has the following differences over the RX-V375/HTR-3066: 1. DC(USB) out for optional accessory. Like YBA-11 Bluetooth adapter 2. Background Video feature (for Radio/USB/AUDIO/AUX input) RX-V375 had radio only. 3. Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-500ms). RX-V375 has 0-250ms. 4. Extra Bass option even with small speakers or no Subwoofer.(Bass Button on Remote for easy access.) 5. Virtual CINEMA FRONT provides virtual surround sound with 5 speakers in front. 6. Removed the Composite Video Input from RX-V377 Front Panel. 7. RX-V377 has only one Audio Analog input, Audio. (RX-V375 has 2, Audio 1 & Audio 2.) 8. RX-V377 has only one Optical input, AV1. (RX-V375 has 2, AV1 & AV4.) 9. Option to change the volume scale from -80 to +16.5dB to 0.5 to 97. (RX-V377 to RX-V577 Models only.) Power and Dimensions are identical. Rated Output Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 2 ch driven) 85 W + 85 W Dimensions (W x H x D) 17-1/8" x 6" x 12-3/8"

Update... Had amazon send me a replacement . thanks.. Now replacement , cuts out tv sound at times. Im using optical from tv to receiver.. Ive seen others complain of same issue.
Makes me wonder if yamaha even checks and refurbish thier units. Im thinking they just repackage and pawn them off on Amazon.... And yamaha dosnt consider amazon a authorized seller.. And it seems lots of issues of them with other connections, or just plain dying after few months..-- Shame on yamaha...Seems quality has gone out the window with entry level receivers..[ All Brands ] And months down the road we end up with nothing but a paper weight...
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 17, 2014
Nice #1: Yes, it is indeed a nice Home Theater amp/receiver/switching center. The audio is clean. The surround sound is flexible and tweakable. At $200 it is a good value. The included setup microphone makes detecting speaker phase and balance very easy. But don't take the automatic setup to be the final word. Menu options let you fine tune things from there for even better personalized acoustical settings.

Nice #2: The "YPAO" setup has you place the included microphone at listening position, then runs white noise into each speaker one by one, then runs a frequency sweep into each speaker. From that, the V375 computes distances to each speaker and adjusts micro tweaks to phase, speaker size, audio reflection components and EQ on an individual basis. This creates a file for your listening room. It beats the poo out of trying to setup all these factors accurately by simply listening.

Caveat #1: UN-fortunately, the 5.1 specification is not describing amplification. You get five channels of amp, but no amp to drive the sub-woofer. To use this with a sub, you'll need a self-powered sub-woofer. A good one will cost as much as the V375 itself. Or, the pre-amped sub-woof output will need its own mono amp to drive a non-powered sub-woofer. Yes, you could have discovered that by scrutinizing the specs, but they certainly don't make a point of letting you know that before you buy.

Nice #3: Fortunately, the auto setup detects the lack of sub-woof and attempts to compensate through the other speakers. In my setup, I have some nice RAMSA front speakers L/R, and they take up much of the slack. I'm still looking for a simple amp for my existing non-self-powered sub.

After auto setup, it will probably suit you to play with the individual speaker distance and volume controls (especially the rear channels) so your head is better served for those effects. My personal preference is to have the rear channels in a supportive role, not a dominating role. I was amazed that the YPAO system worked as well as it did, then was re-amazed to see how much better personal intervention made the system sound. In a small TV room, tweaking the rear surround channels can make a big difference in the audio environment.

Nice #4: My previous amp had 5.1 full channels of amplification, but the V375 is far better. The sound is clean, well-tempered and able to be globally EQ'd and adjusted for lip sync. Many shows on TV are a tad out of sync, so with a U-verse feed, I find that about a one frame delay for movies works quite well. One frame of 24 fps =41 milliseconds, and you adjust it by units of one millisecond. Just gauging it by ear, I arrived at 38 ms. We'll see how that holds up from channel to channel...

Nice #5: The "Scene" feature is very handy. You can pick an HDMI or component video input, an audio input or non-standard group of both, plus a surround mode, then hold down one of the 4 Scene buttons to lock that in as a choice. You will probably wish to play with this for a week or two to get an idea of what works best for various kinds of source matter.

Caveat #2: The V375 doesn't have wi-fi, but you can input iPod-like sources through the USB port on the front of the unit. Yamaha claims technologies that recover fidelity nuances from compressed musical sources. On listening, you would be hard-pressed to notice the difference unless you had a true A/B listening situation, but iPod audio sounds quite high fidelity. Buy a long USB cable if you like to be hands-on with your sound source as you listen. Much of that may actually be due to the YPAO room-tuning.

One star short for not having a sub amp.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 16, 2014
This is my preliminary review since I just installed this new receiver and I have printed the manual (it comes on CD) but have not read it yet. The enclosed setup instructions are basically "attach some speakers and turn it on". This DOES seem to work as it auto detects the HDMI inputs and then you plug in the enclosed mic and it does an auto speaker detect. I like the sound after the auto configuration but will probably do some fine tuning after I've had a chance to listen to several sources.
The remote is clean and well organized without trying to be a "universal" which never works anyway. I found the on-screen menus easy-to-read and use, for the most part, although there are several abbreviations that will require some reading of the manual to really understand. Setup was intuitive and I easily got my DirecTV receiver and PS3 attached and set up.
As I mentioned, I haven't read the manual yet but I hope there's a way to pass thru one of the HDMI inputs to the monitor output when the amp is turned off since we don't always want the stereo surround system to be on, especially late at night when we just run the TV speakers. Right now, I'm just turning the amp volume way down and the TV speakers up. I'll report further after some further testing.
This AV receiver/amp has all the inputs and outputs I need for the system I currently run. I may upgrade to one with two front channels and more network capability if this Yamaha works out.
more later...
Update 7/26/14:
Well, there's no HDMI pass-thru; oh well, I'll look for a splitter. In the meantime, we just hit 'Mute' and turn up the speakers on the TV for late-night viewing. The manual is very well written and easy to read with a great index, glossary, and troubleshooting section. Saw several reviews that referenced the PS3 audio or video issues. Mine works fine for video but the audio was always PCM even when a disc with 5.1 surround was playing. Reconnected the optical audio and reset the PS3 to use the output; reset the receiver for the optical input on that scene (BD/DVD) and saved by holding the scene button down: VOILA, all done!
Staying with 4 stars since the wide array of inputs and easy, on-screen setup let me work around any issues. Will probably look at the x77 series for a future upgrade. :-)
on December 8, 2014
As someone who has played with audio equipment for over 50 years, I'm simply amazed at the receiver performance that can now be purchased for less than $200.00. I've been using this Yamaha receiver in my home theater for about a month and it has exceeded all of my expectations. It replaced a JVC receiver that I have been flogging, without complaint, for several years but which lacked HDMI inputs. Being able to switch all of the various HDMI sources through the receiver is wonderfully convenient. I used the microphone and auto set-up to adjust the speakers and, for now at least, it sounds fine to me. Plenty of power from the discrete class d amplifiers and reasonably good on-screen display. Just a terrific piece of gear for the money.
3 people found this helpful
on February 12, 2015
As another reviewer said, no standby hdmi passthrough. That is to say, that if you do not have the unit on, no signal will pass through it to your tv - so you need to leave it on if you want to use it. In other words, if the tv is on, you have to leave the receiver on. That does not always work for me. Sometimes I just want to watch plain tv.

So a possible solution - hdmi auto switches and splitter. Cable and DVD go into first switch, switch output goes into input on splitter, two outputs, one to second switch input 1, one to receiver, comes out receiver then enter second switch input 2. Output from switch to TV. So unless the receiver is on, you're running straight through to the tv. If you turn on the receiver, it autoswitches to that circuit.

Nonetheless, this would be quite a bit easier and cheaper if it just had passthrough. Two additional cables, a splitter and two switches.
on May 15, 2014
Ok... So you want to upgrade your old 5.1 reciever and see all these new ones with options you really dont need or use for much more money that you wanted to spend. Well guess what!? That was me until I came across this one! I was never one to go with the standard Sony or Pioneer crap in HT set ups. I was replacing a Kenwood 5.1 that had given me many years of awesome sound until its recent demise in a power surge. May it RIP. None the less, this Yamaha was and is a great replacement. At first I was a little unhappy and frustrated with it because I was used to my Kenwood, but all it took was about a week of fine tuning and understanding how this reciever worked for me to say "ken - who??" Anyways, I highly recommend this for the person wanting to upgrade their 5.1 HT at a budget price. But not a budget sound! BTW. I recently paired this up with a JBL ES150PBK Sub and Infinty Primus PC-251 Center Channel. Great combination! Still waiting on the Infinity P143 Satelites from Amazon.
2 people found this helpful
on May 12, 2014
We recently replaced a much more Onkyo receiver with the Yahama RX V375. Our speakers we're not big enough for us to need the wattage.

But there is a reason why I gave this 5 stars

1. We bought refurbished. roughly $170 for this receiver it was an incredible deal

2. The wattage is plenty enough to power our 5+1 speaker system

3. The automatic set - this is the big winner. The unit comes with a microphone that you place in the middle of the room (or wherever you wish to be seated). The system then adjusts the speakers accordingly to the distance of your speakers. This feature alone made our experience. Trying to manually adjust 5 speakers to produce the correct volume is not an easy task. the RX-V375 does it all for you in 60 seconds.

The sound that this simple system produces, and the quality of the surround features are very good. For the price you pay, it is hard to beat.

The only con is that the connectors in the back are still old school, meaning it takes a while to fiddle to get it all setup. You will however find these types of connectors in most systems today.
on January 7, 2014
I purchased this unit to replace my older Yamaha unit that did not support HDMI input. Although my previous unit is more powerful than this unit, I have found this to have more than enough power for my room. The unit does NOT have a switched outlet on the back like my older unit however, so I had to come up with a different solution to be able to have my sub-woofer and other equipment turn on automatically when I turn the receiver on. Otherwise, this upgraded unit has basically the same Yamaha DSP settings and capabilities to further enhance the sound as my receiver from 15 years ago. It's just got an upgraded digital and on-screen interface for settings and a built-in EQ setting mode and microphone to adjust your speakers. After reading reviews about how poorly this worked though, I didn't bother. I have my EQ flat and it sounds fine with my high-end speakers and room, but you can easily tweak the EQ with the on-screen menu if you like. Also, it's quite easy to set the 5.1 speaker volumes using the pink noise generator and just listening as the sound moves from speaker to speaker, as you adjust the volume levels. Overall, an excellent unit and for most people, I would imagine there is absolutely no reason to spend twice this amount on higher-end models unless you have a home theater and like to listen to near-deafening sound levels!