Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on April 10, 2014
This unit came on market 3/4/14. I received it 4/1/14, to replace a very good Yamaha RX 397. The initial setup with the YPAO microphone is fast & easy. The (3) menus displayed on your TV are easy to read. The Yamaha display is bright & blue; some large letters, some small. I connected a satellite receiver & Sony BluRay via HDMI, and an Onkyo CD player via digital coax. The first sound out of the box is very good. You'll want to tweak the sound to your tastes, and many, many adjustments can be made. It takes a little time to learn the menus and adjustments, but 95% of them make sense. The owners manual (85 pages) is a CD-ROM; I prefer paper. This unit has five 100watt amps. It has plenty of power for my room size, which is 12' by 20'. Volume level is 0 - 97, and 60 is usually loud. The sound is clear and strong and musical, with good definition and depth. Yamaha's "natural sound" is a good thing. Yamaha uses quality parts to produce "clean" sound. It has discrete amp configuration, found in higher-end receiver's, for high sound quality. FM radio reception is good. Considered an entry level receiver, but it suits my needs well. The feature list is long. Good value for the money. The unit looks very cool. I think Yamaha has a winner here.
33 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2015
awesome receiver! i got this to replace a little amp that i had that then replaced a newer better amp that came faulty and i gotta say i am really impressed with this thing. im currently using it with a pair of Cerwin Vega SL-5Ms and a Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12in 120w sub and lets just say i can really blow my windows out. theres a ton of features in this box of loud. i currently have it hooked up to my computer through the optical connection on AV1 and mainly use it for music and gaming (both sound amazing btw) that and use the FM Radio every once in awhile. its got a setting for setting the crossover limit on your upper speakers. levels for all of the individual speakers. and if you have a sub that over powers your other speakers at lower volumes you can adjust it to better level itself as you turn up the volume. and a ton of other things i havent messed with. it came with a AM and FM radio cables (id suggest getting better ones) and a microphone that you put where the listening place will be and it will automatically adjust your speakers to the best settings. 100w a channel (5 channel) got a handful of HDMI connections and AV connections with some Optical in's and various other inputs and outputs i have been nothing but impressed with it
review image review image
on May 29, 2015
I bought two nice bookshelf speakers to use for TV, movies, and music. So I needed an amp to power them, and it had to have a remote control. Name-brand amps with remotes start at around $130, so for a few dollars more I decided to just get this entire AV receiver.

I think the RX-V377's remote and menu system is pretty intuitive. I didn't read the manual and I was able to figure it all out without much trouble. You don't really need the on-screen menus, everything can all be done from the display on the front panel, although maybe it helps to see the menu structure on-screen first. Anyway, setting up the receiver was a pleasant experience for me.

I appreciate that Yamaha included a 3.5mm audio input on the front of the receiver. I don't know why this isn't standard on every amp and receiver, but it isn't. With this input, you can easily connect a phone, tablet, or laptop to the receiver and listen to it over your stereo. It's not as convenient as Bluetooth, but good luck finding Bluetooth at this price point.

Speaking of Bluetooth, Yamaha had the good judgement to include USB connectors on the front and back of the receiver. This means you can buy a cheap USB-powered Bluetooth audio dongle, plug it into the receiver, power it via the receiver, and BAM, you just Bluetooth-enabled your receiver for under $20 and a minimum amount of fuss. (Note that I haven't done this myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work.)

Since this is a budget receiver, and receivers are usually advertised by their wattage, I was initially somewhat concerned that this Yamaha "only" puts out 100W per channel (really 70W, 2-channels-driven). But, if you read up on power vs. loudness, you'll find out that if you double the power, things only get 23% louder. So really, the higher-wattage receivers that the RX-V377 is competing with won't get louder by any meaningful amount.

So I've been using this receiver for a little over a month and I'm very pleased, with two caveats:

1) I originally had my computer plugged into the receiver via HDMI, and then the receiver plugged into my TV via HDMI. This worked, but the receiver was very picky about which devices were turned on first. Everything had to be turned on in a particular order or it wouldn't pass video from the computer to the TV. This might be something you can get used to, but I gave up and just connected my TV's optical audio output to the receiver and now I don't have any video going through the receiver. This setup works fine.

2) The receiver will occasionally shut off for, like, no reason. It seems like maybe a protective circuit is being tripped to prevent it from shorting or overheating, but it's usually during a pretty quiet scene of a TV show or movie. It has only happened a few times so I'll just wait to see if it gets worse.
on August 18, 2015
I love this receiver! It was a lot less expensive than the next 5.1 option and I couldn't imagine being much happier with a unit that cost $100 more. Except for built-in bluetooth (external add-ons are available) and maybe a second optical port, there's really nothing more I could want in a surround receiver. The USB input is great, I don't even have to hook up a phone or Mp3 player, I just bought a low-profile 32GB stick and it lives in the unit with my whole collection on it that I can access at any time. There is even on-screen info on the TV through HDMI and also on the receiver display screen for music and settings. The plethora of different presets and decoders is great, and I love that I have full control of all tone and individual speaker levels through the menus. Puts out plenty of power and sounds crystal clear. Could not be happier with performance. The easy setup mic is interesting, but I found that I would rather set the levels myself as it did some interesting things when I ran it. Two minor cons, but neither big enough to dent the 5 star rating I'm giving it. One- the unit is large. Like, standard stereo receiver large. I thought it would be smaller for some reason (cost?), but it is not any larger than your average receiver unit. Two- the receiver can be very picky about how it is wired in the back. I kept getting a "CHECK SP WIRES" message and an auto shutdown at around -20db for the first few days until I pulled out the unit and re-stripped and reinserted all the wiring VERY carefully. Now it works like a champ and will crank a lot louder than I need it to! Found a lot of online frustration with this issue and exactly what the cause is (speaker ohms, external wiring, bad speakers, etc.) and I am pretty confident this is where anyone having a problem should focus. Once all was up and running, I have nothing negative to say whatsoever. Would buy it all over again and will likely get another Yamaha unit if I ever have need to.
review image
on December 3, 2014
The sound from this Receiver is great. It's crystal clear and powerful. Sadly I am having serious HDMI handshake issues. If I don't power on all of my devices in a specific order I won't get a picture on my TV. My TV runs just fine using a splitter, PC, Xbox one, and PS4. But because of the handshake issues I can only get audio most of the time with this receiver. I also tested my TV with 2 other AV receivers, one from Panasonic, and the other from Onyko. The TV worked just fine with both. Next I did extensive testing and determined that the Yamaha AV receiver functioned perfectly with other TV's. So it must be a Hitachi Yamaha compatibility issue.

My Hitachi TV is 2 years old, so this may not be a problem anymore, but I still wanted to warn some people who may have this issue. It took me hours to troubleshoot both devices extensively. So it was definitely frustrating. I only realized it was a Handshake issue when the picture miraculously appeared after I accidentally powered everything on in order.

The reason I gave the receiver 3 stars is because after doing some research I found out that this issue can usually be fixed by a firmware update. So I went to Yamaha's support page and to my dismay I learned that no firmware updates have been released yet. I feel that a new product such as this one should be compatible with basically all devices. Especially since I know HDCP is useless and does absolutely nothing to prevent piracy.

Anyways, the sound is good enough for me just to bypass the receiver and simply use an optical cable. I know the sound quality will be slightly worse, but I'm too tired to mail this back to Amazon. Also I can't find a comparable AV receiver in this price range. So kudos to Yamaha for that. I guess I'll be checking Yamaha's website every couple of weeks for that firmware update that I hope will come. Or this issue will be resolved once I get a new TV :(

I know the Gefen HDmi Detective Plus will probably work, but that's really expensive at $83.00. If you've had HDMI handshake issues before please let me know what you did to solve the problem.
on May 23, 2015
I've had this up and running only a few days now with it hooked to Boston Acoustics Soundware 2.1 plus two 4 1/2" Soundware speakers as the fronts. No center yet as I couldn't afford the Orb twin pack that I plan to buy. First impression after having a couple 2.1 computer stereo's including the Klipsch Pro Media is WOW. This receiver and speaker combination is incredible. All the different sound fields for movies and music should have something for everyone. The only complaint I have and that might go away if someone can tell me how you get the separation of dialog volume to effects volume closer so you don't annoy everyone else in the house.?
The simplicity of controls is not bad but the remote is too 1990's and needs rounded edges and back lighting and maybe a rubberized feel. Some of the buttons are a bit small and close together. I really like the separate equalizer's for each speaker. The Bass and Equalization really add to what you can get out of these small speakers.
All in all this receiver is everything I'll ever need along with quality speakers for a great sound experience.
If anyone can answer that volume question please do so through Amazon. I'll update and maybe change to 5 stars as time goes on.
UPDATE 5-24-15 : I found the best way to control the volume difference between dialog and effects. I am using the Music field (5.1 Stereo) which gives the best balance between the fronts and the surround speakers and the sub. You must also use the channel equalizer along with Level, Tone Control, Trim and the sub's volume control. This combination seems to be great when boosting the sub level for music and decreasing it for movies late at night. Hope that helps anyone having the same problem. Also after doing this I feel justified in changing my review to 5 stars. Aloha all.
on August 25, 2014
Although I wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile, I've had a basic 5 speaker home theater setup for some time. To improve the sound, I recently bought a new center channel speaker (Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000) and that helped somewhat, but a relative who installs home theaters urged me to replace my 15 year-old Sony AV receiver if I really wanted to hear a difference. So after some online research I decided on a Yamaha, and chose the RX-V377 because I didn't need the streaming music features, as I mainly watch sports, TV shows, and movies from Netflix and cable. Setup was simple and straightforward. Once I had everything connected and ran the setup process with the microphone that was provided, I was stunned by the difference in sound. I thought my speakers needed upgrading, but they now they sound much, much better. Formerly muddy dialogue is now crystal clear with the Drama setting, sound effects are subtle but realistic, and when I watch sports I feel like I'm part of the crowd at the game (aided by the receiver's Sports setting). While there are far more features that I will ever use (or even understand), and I'm still trying to figure out how to turn off my TV with the receiver's remote (pretty trivial in the scheme of things), this was a modest financial investment with a big payoff in listening pleasure. I'm now tempted to get a subwoofer to enhance the sound even more.
11 comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2014
A great receiver. I bought this one refurbished and it came as new. All the packaging was original and it even smelled like new. For what I can tell the YPAO mic was the only thing that had been opened. No cosmetic damage at all, as I said this could have passed as new which was a great deal.

I bought this to replace my old yamaha reciever and even though this is a smaller model than the one I'm replacing (sorry i can't remember right now the old model) it has great features and sound. Speaking of older Yamaha (and i guess most old recievers) this one is much smaller and much more lighter, I'm no expert but I guess it's due to the discrete amp configuration.

Quality and sound is what you would expect for a renowed brand as Yamaha. I'm not going to describe all the features in it, you can check them out in the product description. But I will definetly give the tumbs up. I've heard some complaints about some missing features other recievers have like networking, but for the price you definetly get more than you paid.
on August 28, 2014
The sound from this thing kills older audio gear.

I replaced a Sony SDP-800 surround processor and Technics SA-EX320 receiver with this box. With just the supplied wire FM antenna, sound through a pair of older Polk speakers (6.5" woofers) and newer Polk center speaker is much better than the old setup. It seems to work well with a Roku 3 and Tablo 4-tuner DVR too. I like having everything plug into the receiver, and running just one HDMI cable to the Sony KDL32XBR TV.

No, it's not my Bryston 0.4B preamp driving Carver M-200t amplifer, but it's a lot more user-friendly. And the hall / environment simulations sound pretty good too.

I just wish there were low-level outputs for rear-channel surround electronics. I'm using a Polk wireless rear speaker, and needed to run speaker wires to its transmitter.
on February 14, 2017
Pros:
*All the bells and whistles.
Cons:
*Cheap remote control with small buttons. Cheap enough that I now rethink my respect for the Yamaha name. I can't help but wonder if there were other corners that were cut on the circuitry. Yamaha- You have something to learn about maintaining your image and losing it to save pennies.
*Shipping box was damaged and partly open. USPS marked it as damaged. I blame Amazon for a half a** job in packaging with one band of tape to hold the heavy inner product box.