- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Yamaha YHT-491BL Home Theater in a Box (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- 5-channel 500W powerful surround sound (100W x 5)
- 1080p-Compatible HDMI 1.3
- XM and Sirius Satellite Radio Ready
- iPod and Bluetooth Compatibility
- Five Speakers and a 100W Subwoofer
Customers Also Shopped For
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
For me, purchasing a surround-sound decoder and speaker system was the last link in my HT setup. I decided on the YHT-491BL for 5 reasons in particular:
1. I decided all I really needed is 5 speakers for great surround sound, not 7. I've heard the
difference and 7 speakers just isn't kosher for a living room that is being asked to do double-duty as a theater.
2. The price point of the 491BL fit my budget. Also, free shipping was a $55 value.
3. HDMI, optical, and coax digital inputs: my DVR, PS3, and Mac Mini connect easily.
Note: The HDMI inputs are video only and you will still need to connect your digital sound
sources to the receiver via TOSlink optical (2 avail), or digital coax cable (1 avail).
These digital audio cables are very inexpensive.
4. Sound quality from the active-servo subwoofer: I've owned a pair of Yamaha desktop computer speakers (YST-M15) and matching subwoofer (YST-MSW8) for over 10 years and I have never tired of the smooth sound and surprising power from these little studs. The 491BL did not disappoint me from the second I turned it on. The active-servo subwoofer keeps the bass tight and accurate, and the crossover slope from the bass to the mid frequencies is very smooth. The front left and right channels are mounted on good looking stands -- which gets the sound off the floor and puts it at the level it's supposed to be. So far these speakers sound awesome with movies, games, and music.
5. Yamaha quality.Read more ›
Problems: doesn't decode audio via HDMI input, you need to use optical instead (for example, PS3 = HDMI + optical, you need both cables). So you'd better connect HDMI directly to your TV, and only use the receiver to decode audio.
PS3: HDMI to TV, optical to receiver;
HTPC: HDMI to TV, 5.1 RCA to receiver (no optical on my HTPC, but if you have one, use it instead. The receiver has 2 optical inputs marked as "DTV/CBL" and "CD").
The benefit is that when you don't need Dolby 5.1 or DTS, you can just use TV (video and audio via HDMI to TV). When you need it, mute the TV, turn on the receiver, and then enjoy great sound.
Very nice set at great price. I love it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The Yamana YHT-491BL 5.1 surround sound system was fairly easy to setup. The AV receiver is solidly built and is fairly easy to use. Read morePublished on December 31, 2010 by Singh T. Junior
Bought this from Amazon a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it. The sound is excellent for movies with excellent highs and plenty of power from the 8" sub. Read morePublished on September 2, 2009 by Joseph Peak