Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

• Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 1,477 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,636 reviews
on May 3, 2016
As a value shopper, I also look for products that are a good middle of the road in quality, longevity, and features. Because let's face it, no matter how cheap something is if it falls apart or doesn't do what you want it to it really wasn't worth it.

Too many times have I been taken in by price to find out I paid less...for a piece of junk. That's why I really appreciate the reviews on Amazon (and other sites). It's great to have a good cross-section of thoughts and opinions. Unfortunately we still have to filter the reviews based on our preferences and even the paid reviews, but if something is not 4 stars these days, I typically will not even give it the time of day.

With the Yamaha TPG-235 keyboard I am happy to say that the reviews were very helpful in making this purchase. TONS of people have purchased and reviewed this item and about 9 out of 10 people have given it either 4 or 5 stars. That's impressive.

I have discovered a way to keep prices down and still get the product that I want - SHOP THE REFURBISHED AND USED SECTION OF AMAZON! Amazon Warehouse items are usually open box or returned and I have yet to receive something from there that didn't still look brand new. Prices are typically around 15 - 25% off of the new price.

ON TO THE KEYBOARD....ratings are on a scale of 1-10

1. AESTHETICS ** 8 ** The Yamaha TPG-235 doesn't look so much like a toy that you will not take it seriously though it is less appealing than some brands. We have previously owned a Williams piano and it was more sleek and looked more professional. BUT the Williams piano also felt like it was made out of concrete. It was SO heavy. The YPG-235 is light as a feather AND with 12 less keys than the typical 88-key keyboard, it's shorter as well. Which means if space is an issue (which it is for us) then you will like the shorter design. And you will VERY likely NOT miss the extra keys.

2. SOUND ** 9 ** Clearly (pun intended) this is an important feature of this item. If an instrument doesn't sound great it will be a disappointment...at least eventually it will. Going from a Williams keyboard to this one seemed like a downgrade - but it wasn't. It DOES sound less like a grand piano but it makes up for it with it's full sounding speakers and TONS of voices (361 to be exact). There's give and take (especially when you are on a budget) but after owning this now for a few months I have to say that I am completely satisfied with the grand piano sound. My daughter plays the keyboard and I play guitar and they sound fantastic together. We both play somewhere in between the competent to proficient skill levels. I play a Taylor guitar so I DO understand quality when I see/hear it.

3. QUALITY ** 9 ** I would say that the build quality is perfectly acceptable. The keys feel a little cheap and they are fairly noisy when the sound is down low or someone is playing using headphones. But when the volume is set to a normal playing level the key noise is completely drowned out. Speaker quality is superb and that is a HUGE plus with this item. The item is light but it doesn't feel so light that you feel that you are compromising quality at the same time.

4. FEATURES ** 9 ** The 361 voices are a lot of fun to play with. That alone will keep you entertained with this keyboard for the first week or 2. But it's all about the piano voice for what we play - which is worship and praise music to the Lord. My daughter plays some classical music as well and in reality 99.9% of the time the grand piano voice will be used. One feature that's nice is that you can hit a single button to return you to the default voice which is grand piano. It also allows you to transpose the keyboard to different intervals/keys. This is similar to putting a capo on a guitar. Yeah, it may seem like cheating, but it's nice when you are still learning. It does NOT come with a power cord unless you buy the "Standard Pack" (which was the same price when bought open box from Amazon Warehouse). So be prepared to buy one if you get the keyboard only. Also, no pedal but Amazon has some great pedals for a decent price. We have had the M-Audio SP-2 Universal Sustain Pedal purchased from Amazon for about 2 years and it's holding up wonderfully. The "Standard Pack" also comes with a stand which is probably adequate to hold this keyboard but we already had a more heavy duty one holding up our old Williams keyboard so we just used it.

5. VALUE ** 10 ** After researching and studying and reading review after review as well as comparing pricing for anything even close to price of this one, I have to say, you will not find a better keyboard than this one for $600 or less (the Yamaha YGP-535 is just under $600 and is essentially the same product with 12 more keys and a built in base and pedals and POSSIBLY better speakers). So if you are an extremely advanced player then perhaps look elsewhere but I do not consider this to be ONLY a beginner keyboard. Sure it's great for beginners too, but I think this instrument will take you well into the pre-advanced stages as well.

6. OVERALL ** 9 ** Of course there is room for improvement for a $250 instrument but unless you are ready to jump up to $600 - $1000 your search is over.

Hope this helps someone out there and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have!

Col. 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
22 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2015
Sound quality is amazing and beautiful. Sustain pedal is impressive. key resistance is great, feels like a real stringed piano. Love it
review image
33 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2015
This is a fantastic instrument! Am very excited to learn all the different functions that you are able to do. The Demo is amazing. If I can make music only 25% as nice as the demo, it will be great! Bought some blank music sheet paper to be able to right down all the different instruments notes. My 80 Mother has again realized how much she loves to play. She broke right out with her signature moves and was not bothered that it is only 8 keys short of a full size piano. It is also light enough to carry.
on January 21, 2017
Very nice. I am a learner and consequently, this review not from a experienced pianist. The keyboard feel is very nice. It has an incredible array of user functions, voices, configurations, memory, etc. I typically just play it as a piano. As a learner, I especially like the LCD display in the center which shows the Grand Staff and highlights which keys are being depressed. When headphones are plugged into the headphone jack, the speakers are disabled. One minor quibble; it came with some headphones. However, the headphone jack on the back of the piano is 1/4"; the headphones supplied have a 3.5 mm mini plug. If you want to use the headphones supplied with the piano, you will need an adapter.
on September 6, 2013
I did online research on this product and also read a lot of the reviews left by other buyers and I looked around at a lot of keyboards.
About me- I'm a beginner but I've recently wanted to get back into the piano for about 2 years. I chose to go with the 76-key b/c I didn't want to feel like I'd want a larger keyboard later on. I felt 76 was a good size (even though i really can't speak to the differences between the sizes. I just went wth what I thought would work for me, and how much space I have in my room).
First i ordered this Tuesday evening and got it Thursday when i got home from work (yAy!). The packaging was intact; no holes or gashes. The set up was easy and i was jammin' "mary had a little lamb" in about 10 minutes.
The sound is awesome and both speakers work. The sounds can be very soft and quiet, which is important to me b/c I live with my sister and she complains about everything. But it can also get pretty loud. I haven’t tried the headphones yet but i have my own Bose that I’ll end up using.
My sister and her husband will probably be getting same one for my 7y/o niece who is starting lessons. They were pretty impressed with keyboard, its condition and the price, and i am super stoked to start playing.
on May 30, 2014
I use it mainly for recreational use, but I have been a wedding singer and pianist and in casual bands. It pretty much stays in the Grand Piano mode and I use the headphones The percussion tracks are very old sounding and would never use it in a recording, (The programmed digital drum tracks in any studio or pro quality workstation are the only ones worth using IMO.) But if you're doing a live gig, or recording on a budget and need a basic drum track, the first drum track is usable for a lot of songs. I like that there are 76 keys, beats the smaller keyboards, and I rarely use the remaining 12 keys on a regular piano anyway. The price was great, especially with the stand and headset. ...
on January 13, 2016
For a person who plays casually or is a beginner, this is the keyboard for you. It is great because it is portable (not 88 key), although I would say the 88 key is a higher end keyboard. For the price difference this one takes the cake. Make sure you get the package that has the power cord included or you will actually spend more down the road than if you just buy the one with the cord, stand, and headphones. It has a ton of different options/sounds/etc. The manual is a little confusing in places and it has a learning curve to it, but what keyboard doesnt. Has good sounds, although we all know we will probably never use 1/4 of them in a live gig. This is great for a piano to haul around or just leave at home for practice. My daughter loves to bang on the keys as well!
on January 30, 2014
I have not explored nearly all of what this keyboard is capable of, but I am very happy so far. There are many sounds of high quality, and I am having a great deal of fun exploring this instrument. The con for me: I would prefer they put middle C right in the middle so we would get a low C and D instead of a low E. You can mess with settings to get lower notes, but for most of my playing and the playing I am familiar with, the low notes are more useful than the really high squeaky notes. My suggestion would be to lower the range of this keyboard 2 whole steps and then it would be complete for me. I probably will get one with a more full range eventually.
on March 17, 2014
The piano is awesome, so much better than we thought it would be. My son practiced all weekend.
The directions for the stand were very confusing and I ended up taking it apart and putting it back together about 3 times. Finally figured it out. If they would have had bigger pictures on the instructions or zoom in pictures to show which way it went, it would have saved a LOT of time.
The headphones fell apart the minute we took them out of the package. The foam covering the headphones just disintegrated. We tried them anyway without the foam and they didn't even work at all. (Our own headphones worked fine plugged into the piano).
As these were cheap headphones anyway and we were totally satisfied with the rest of this package, I just threw the headphones away. This was a very great deal.
on July 17, 2017
This is simply FANTASTIC!!! Has a nice weight to the keys, played perfectly right out of the box. My son has been taking lessons for a couple of months now and we would have to drive to our school (Where I work) every day for him to practice... No MORE! YAY He can put his headset on and practice every day in his room... Love that! The Music Teacher was thrilled to hear we got a Yamaha... she even thought it was a perfect choice for him. just had his first recital tonight and he rocked the songs! So happy!!