Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 6, 2012
Turned out to be perfect for me. I love to play Bach and other baroque composers, so since they wrote for harpsichord and fortepiano (fewer keys than modern pianos), I can play everything they wrote on this 61-key Yamaha right here in my tiny apartment. This model has all the rhythm choices and instrument voices you could want without being so automatic that it feels like a toy. The headphones are a bonus when there's ambient city noise or it's late at night. Other reviewers had difficulty with the stand, but they must have assembled it incorrectly. The keyboard is designed to rest atop the crossbars, not fit into the stand in any way. Try sliding the rubber sleeve supports in or out on the crossbars to balance the keyboard properly atop the stand. Also, make sure you have the height adjuster knob facing away from you as you sit at the keyboard and that the wider ends of all crossbars are facing toward you (measure the screw-hole to end distance if you have to). This will give you enough legroom when you sit at the keyboard. The two longer bars rest on the floor, of course, and the two shorter ones support the keyboard.

Buying the whole package with stand and power supply is the right choice: you have everything you need to start playing in no time.
238 helpful votes
239 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 25, 2012
I like this keyboard. I got it here for only $129. Walmart has a lessor model without the stand, headphones, or AC power pack on special for about the same price as this one. Excellent product. Excellent value buy.

BUT...A few details should be pointed out that may make a difference to some shoppers. First, the bundler fails to mention the stand is generic and must be assembled differently in order to work with this keyboard. If you are not handy or do not understand the directions given here by another buyer for how to modify assembly so the stand fits, you may want to subtract the stand as a factor for choosing this particular bundle.

Second, I've registered a lot of products on line and none, even minor brands, limited me to online registration and then required so much time to do it. Registration is not straight forward and simple as you might expect. Be sure to enter the entire address as presented in the manual, or you will get goofy results, a demand for email and password. Try to register and you get odd rejections such as my favorite, "your email address is not proper format" Huh? Is the program expecting Japanese? You must enter that long address. Also, the registration utility is unforgiving and unclear. No AI engine employed here! The site refers to this keyboard two different ways, PSR 233 and YPT 230. Have fun getting registration to accept your long product ID entry.

Third. A truth in advertising issue. We are told music and music lessons are included. What you are not told is they are online. You must successfully register to get any of the manuals, the music, anything. Never encountered that one before! Beware of buying a Yamaha music products open box, used, or refurbished. You will not be able to get the user manual without registering and you cannot do that without the ID written on a page included in the box. The serial number is all that is on the keyboard & you MUST enter both the serial number & the ID on the paper.

Fourth. Because of the above, you want to think over getting a Yamaha music product for a gift. Make sure the child or youth has home access to Internet or that you do. Fortunately, I open, inspect, perform burn in (24hour non-stop play (while I still have the shipping box) to reduce probabilty of defects later. If it doesn't fail the first 24 straight hours, it probably will not) assemble, and register products like this that I buy for gifts. I fixed the stand, got it registered, downloaded the Midi package and music and put them on a small flash USB, so the child can readily use it.

The e-manual is handy because there are so many features and functions, the paper manual is full of fine print on low quality background. There is so much to read, many under 13 year old children will not get much use of the Keyboard without assistance. I bought this for an advanced 7 year old. There is no way she is going to read all the fine print.
245 helpful votes
246 helpful votes
77 comments|Report abuse
on September 5, 2013
I purchased this set for my six-year-old daughter to begin piano lessons. The keyboard itself sounds fine to me, but I bought it as part of a set with the stand, headphones, and power supply, only to attempt set up and discover that the stand does not fit the keyboard. If I had looked at the reviews more carefully prior to purchase, I would have realized that numerous other purchasers had the same issue, because "stand doesn't fit keyboard" was mentioned in 26 reviews. But unfortunately I just went by the model number of the keyboard, purchasing one our piano teacher had recommended without thoroughly researching it myself. Shame on Yamaha and Amazon for selling these mismatched items as a set when it had been flagged so many times by reviewers. Now I'm stuck with the darned thing because I went ahead and recycled the boxes after testing the keyboard but before putting the stand together, because who thinks a stand sold in a set won't work??? Grrrr.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on October 14, 2012
Unlike other reviews of this product I did not have any issues with the Stand provided. It was easy to assemble and although it was not desiged for the keyboard it still works adequately. The Key board itself is perfect for my limited use. The Grand Piano function is perfect, it sounds exactly like a grand piano. The Instruction manual is not very comprehensve but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the functions. Still a more detailed instruction manual would have been nice. It does not record any of your compositions for playback so if you want that feature don't get this model. But for the beginner who is just learning this product is very good for the money.
on January 1, 2013
This was purchased for my 11 year old daughter. The keyboard itself is great and she's spent many hours playing with the different sounds, beats, etc. It's actually been a lot of fun for the whole family and is especially nice to have the option of using headphones to minimize noise.

Because this was being given as a gift, when it was delivered we opened the outer box, but didn't open the keyboard or stand packages themselves. We wish we would have. The stand requires that you attach the four horizontal pieces to the vertical "X" part of the stand. It comes with the screws already in the "X" ends along with an allen wrench to remove the screws and then re-attach them with the horizontal pieces in place. Three of the screws were able to be removed and then re-attached very easily. The fourth, however, couldn't be removed at all. It was screwed in so tightly, that when trying to unscrew it, the allen wrench ended up stripping the screw head. We finally ended up using duct tape to attach the horizontal piece to the "X".

Another disappointment with the stand was the "fit" to the keyboard. Because everything was sold together as a package, I assumed they'd all work together. On the bottom of the keyboard there are two grooves for it to rest on the stand, giving added security. However, the stand, which is adjustable at set points, was either too wide or too close together to fit the keyboard grooves. We ended up matching one of the grooves with the stand but the other end of the keyboard is just resting on top, not in a groove.

The headphones have been working great and we were very happy it came with an adapter to fit the keyboard. Only problem was when it arrived the headphone box was quite mangled and we were worried the headphones themselves would be damaged. The keyboard, stand, adapter plug and headphones were shipped together in a box, but the items had not been secured, or protected/cushioned, meaning that depending on how the box was laid, there were times the headphone box was "smashed" by the other heavier boxes. Luckily, in spite of the mangled box, the headphones worked great.
on April 23, 2017
Keyboard is good for the money but lacking some basic jacks such as audio out jack or a microphone in.
The stand is junk, wobbly.
Power supply stopped working after a few months, had to get a new one.
on December 25, 2012
The keyboard works fine, the headphones are good too and no problems the power supply. Unfortunately the stand is an "adjustable" not "attachable". Stand Model WOR SXKS ( a cheaper version of the Yamaha PKBS1), shipped with package, it doesn't lock the keyboard. The right model is Yamaha L3C (not shipped with package) should have been shipped. Amazon should have made clear that the stand shipped WORK SXKS ($20) - 10 dollars cheaper than the L3C - does not lock the keyboard. This is the first time that I am really disappointed with Amazon.
on January 23, 2013
I ordered this combo for my son this past Christmas despite the fact that others had commented about the stand. Now, I've found out for myself tat THE STAND DOES NOT FIT THE KEYBOARD. The keyboard has sat on the floor while I try to find a stand that actually fits it. The keyboard is not meant to just SIT atop the stand, as someone has commented. The keyboard has dedicated places for a stand to fit and be screwed to it. This is very annoying and frustrating to deal with after you've spent your money and given a gift to someone. Beware!

I've just had to buy a Yamaha L3C attachable stand that is made for the YPT and other models. The stand is screwed onto the under side of the keyboard and is perfect. This is what should have come with the keyboard to begin with.
review image
4 helpful votes
on October 5, 2014
we use keep this as a back up travel keyboard for the kids. they seem to like it, but complain that too much time on it affects the way they are able to play their digital or acoustic pianos...it's what it is, a lower end keyboard with yamaha creds. I wouldn't expect too much from it except to have fun on it or as an early learning tool for the young ones. it they start to progress, they will need to eventually transition to a keyboard with some form of pressure feedback, either digital or acoustic.
on April 5, 2013
Okay, I'm taking a little bit more time to look at this product this time.

Firstly, the AC adaptor is inside one of the little white cardboard damage prevention things the keyboard comes in. The side of my keyboard's box was a little dented, but nothing seemed to be affected by it.

Second, the screws are already inserted into the stand. You will have to unscrew them and then rescrew them with the proper bars attached. I couldn't find them and freaked out for a bit.

Third, all the jacks are located to the back of the keyboard. The headphone that this keyboard comes with does not fit into the jack. But the AC adaptor does and basically that was my largest concern. There's also a jack for a foot pedal if you want to purchase that separately.

The stand will fit, but the keyboard might jostle a bit. It doesn't seem to be a major problem, as I don't play like cartoon Beethovens and mash the keys but at the same time, given the way the stand looks, I guess it was inevitable that it wouldn't fit extremely perfectly and lock in place or anything.