- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: Thomson Learning; 2nd edition (April 1977)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0030899788
- ISBN-13: 978-0030899782
- Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.1 x 0.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 10.4 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,146,125 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Yanomamo, the Fierce People (Case Studies in Cultural Anthropology) Paperback – April, 1977
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The Yanomato were a people of perhaps 10,000 souls in total. They lived in separate villages of from 50 to 200 plus people that warred against other villages on a regular basis. There were no representatives of the government of either Brazil or Venezuela. He was the only outsider in the villages he lived in. There were some missionaries in some of the villages.
The Yanomamo were a stone age people who were just acquiring some metal items from the outside world. They wore minimal clothing, a penis sheath for the men, and a short skirt for the women.
The people in a village lived in one building which surrounded an open central courtyard, and had an outside wall, and roof covering around the outside. Each family built a part, and lived in the section that they built. Everyone slept in hammocks. Each village had a village garden where the different families had their own individual plants. About 85% of their food came from the garden the remaining 15% was from hunting or finding items in the jungle. The men used bows and arrows that they made to hunt, and for war. When war was conducted, there were ambushes and raids on enemy villages. Women captured in war were raped first, and then made a part of the community in the village. Men were killed in wars, and if too many were killed from a village, it could upset the balance of power, and cause a village to ally with another for self defense.Read more ›