YayLabs Play and Freeze Ice Cream Ball Ice Cream Maker
|Price:||$30.71 - $290.71|
- Dimensions: 9" diameter (22.8 cm)
- Wt: 1 lb 14 oz (850.5 g)
- Durable Polycarbonate
- Ideal for home, parties
- Includes recipe list
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1. Size: It is quite large and when filled with the ice cream products and ice/salt, it is quite heavy. Not recommended for little children and their fragile fingers. Because it's heavy, it gathers some momentum and I can see how someone might get their fingers/toes hurt. But the end product is enough to feed 5 people a good coffee cup full of ice cream.
2. Noise: because the ball is larger, it does make a lot more noise. Just with the ice slushing around in there along with the ball rolling on the floor. We have hardwood floors so over the rug, we placed another blanket and rolled the ball around. Luckily, our walls aren't too thing.
3. Ice Cream: I used half n half because I didn't have cream, sugar, vanilla, bananas, strawberries, and chocolate chips. It turned out great! The consistency wasn't like soft serve, but actually more like Breyers ice cream. Light and with a bite to it. PLenty of recipes you can try.
4. Time: It does take longer to make this ice cream. I'd suggest 15 min, scrape down the sides, give it a gentle mix, another 15 minutes and then check it. Depending on how hard you roll and how much ice you put in the beginning, you don't even need to refill it with ice and it's done in 30 minutes.
5. Removing the ice cream: I didn't get a special spoon like someone did with their order from another company... so I used a wooden spoon. Didn't really work ..only with the ice cream in the center. So I had to carefully scrape the ice cream off the walls with a butter knife. Another option is to empty the ice end, and dunk the ball in warm water just for a few seconds.Read more ›
However, I agree with Lisa Rasband's 1-star review completely. This ball is a real pain to use and the end product isn't very good.
I had the same problems as Lisa. The ice cubes don't fit easily, so you need to make sure to freeze smaller cubes for this use. It used a LOT of ice cubes to fill the outer compartment - I had frozen 6 ice cube trays and still really didn't have quite enough. (that being said, the ball seemed to freeze the ice cream just fine even if the outer compartment wasn't completely full of ice and rock salt.)
We put all the ingredients in and rolled and dribbled the ball around constantly for 15 minutes, as instructed (playing a word game the whole time to keep ourselves entertained.) It was actually a pretty good workout, doing soccer-type moves I don't usually do! Anyway, when we opened it up to scrape down the insides as instructed, there was so much ice cream glued to the inside of the canister that it was nearly impossible to get it out - a wooden spoon that was recommended was not up to the task, we had to get a knife to pry the ice cream off. Then we added more ice, resealed, and rolled it around again for another 10 minutes. The ball was nearly impossible to open, even with the "wrench" provided, and the end product was very icy. Extremely disappointing for the effort that we put into it. I guess maybe you could try to get it less icy by opening and scraping it more frequently, but every time you stop the ball moving, it's going to ice even more. And opening it is a pain.
I used a vanilla ice cream recipe quite similar to that given in the product insert.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Fun to use. Excellent for a group therapy session at the skilled nursing facility I worked in.Published 2 days ago by B. King
The ball is LOUD because of the rattling, so you can't talk over it. The time for freezing is a lot longer than the advertized 15 minutes and you must keep putting in the rock... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Pamelas
Bought this for my sons 5th birthday and really it's a fantastic way to keep the kids entertained. We made a circle and set music up. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Chaykee
I gave these to children for christmas gifts. Every child has a had a great time making ice-cream!Published 4 months ago by Stephanie Lechner
I've had one for years. If you are getting soupy ice cream it's because you aren't using enough salt. I'm an old fart who remembers making ice cream with a crank. Read morePublished 7 months ago by pat blackmon
5 Star Reviews are NO AUTHENTIC!! Check their 'other items reviewed'. This is the ONLY thing they have reviewed.. Read morePublished 7 months ago by love2buy