Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Year in Art: The Activity Book
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on December 30, 2009
I was looking for a gift for my 10 year old niece who is artistically inclined. She has lots of paper, markers, etc. and I wanted something to give her a little early art education - but also be fun. This book has beautiful paintings and some fun activities that can be done right in the book like I spys or draw Starry Night in the day time type stuff. I do think it would have been nice if they included more paintings that have subjects appealing to kids like Pre-Raphaelite mythical interpretations. The only Andy Warhol is on the cover - and more animal art would also be more appealing than some of the classical religious themed paintings that are in there. But - I think it will expose her to art that later on she will see again and remember it. The adults at Christmas REALLY loved the book and spent a lot of time looking at it. The best thing is the velvety cat on the cover. It is also a very big book - much bigger than it looks in the picture. 1 foot square - but three inches thick.
on May 17, 2011
We bought this originally at an art museum. I had hoped it would be a good way to introduce art "history" to my 5 year old. I thought it might be a bit too over her head, but the activities in it appeared to be appealing for kids. I wasn't wrong. The book is set up to do about one activity a day (sometimes it's an activity over 2 days). None of them are overly difficult or over-involved. They follow the calendar, so whatever day you start, you'll be able to follow along each day. We tried doing it by following the calendar, but of course, life gets in the way so you can't really do one activity each day (perhaps if you're homeschooling, that would work great). But my daughter enjoyed it so much, she would sit down and do several days at one time. So we just let her do it whenever she wanted.

She has started recognizing the names of a lot of the artists. Sometimes there are several artworks throughout the book, and she'll say, "oh, there's a painting earlier in the book by this artist" and then look for it. If we go to an art museum or she reads books based on artists (like the Anholt's Artist books for children--which I also highly recommend) it strengthens her recognition of the artists she learns about in this book.

Some of the activities are just looking for items in a painting (like "I Spy"), or make a mosaic like the one in the photo, or finish the painting, what is this girl thinking about, etc. We like it so much we bought this as a gift for her friend and will add it to our "regular gift" list. Highly recommend it for introducing various art forms, art history, critical thinking, and just plain fun.
on September 29, 2014
This book is really amazing. I think the editor is so good ; we are so amazed by such a great collection. The paper quality is also very good so that all great art show very well. Also fun activity to both child and parent. My sister who studied art even bought this for het self after looking though it. And I bought for my little niece, too!!
on May 28, 2013
I bought this book as a part of art curriculum for my 3rd grader for homeschooling. It is not a book of "all the famous artists/painting" but all of the artists in this book are of great value. The pictures are fun and the little information about the picture or the artist strikes interest too.
on May 19, 2012
I love this book, its simple, full of observation exercises and activities, if you teach art this book it's perfect to improve creativity and imagination, you have to use your own creativity of course, but this book it's the perfect guide.
on March 30, 2010
What a remarkable book for crative youngsters and teachers. Teaches to observe and appreciate the various arts.
on October 15, 2015
Wonderful, wonderful book! Hours of entertainment for kids and adults alike. Very well made. Recommended.
on October 17, 2015
This is a great gift for grandparents!
on June 2, 2013
I bought as a gift for a child. As an adult found, I it boring. I couldn't give it to a child. Ended up buying an Usborne Art History Activity book instead. It was just what I wanted,