- File Size: 3692 KB
- Print Length: 824 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Flying Squid; 1 edition (December 9, 2013)
- Publication Date: December 9, 2013
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00CKEY974
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #232,864 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$27.00|
Save $20.01 (74%)
The Year of the Dragon Series, Books 1-4: The Crimson Robe Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 824 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
|Age Level: 12 - 18|
- Similar books to The Year of the Dragon Series, Books 1-4: The Crimson Robe
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
One other thing, this is NOT 4 books. Book one is all introduction, to the world, the history where Wales beats England, and the idea of the dragons' place in society. A school bully is introduced (who shows up in later books), etc. In Book 2 the story gets going as the boy hero gets to the Japan surrogate. I hope book 4 has an actual ending, but neither 1 nor 2 even pretends to. These are chapters, not books. (Not a problem as sold together, but it makes for one very long story.) I got through about half of book 3 before I gave up, because I still couldn't keep up with the point of view changes and new characters.
The good: I find it gripping and thoughtful. There's a delightfully complex world that we are shown as much as told; and as the telling goes, the plot makes characters explaining things to each other important here and there. There's no flat exposition of what's going on, and the "telling" part only goes as far as is natural. It's gorgeous steampunk & sorcery of the alternate history flavor.
The bad: There's a very high density of names of characters, political figures, places, polities, and peoples. Most of the background names are lifted out of history, with a modest amount of creativity. There aren't actually that many characters, but the names are being drawn from wildly divergent linguistic traditions, and that can get confusing. If you're not a history buff, it might feel a little bewildering. I also find political machinations thrilling, and not everybody does.
For a little help, Bataavians are the Dutch. Bran is going to school in Wales. "Saexe" refers to the ethnicity of the English (coming from Saxon). You're early in the reign of Queen Victoria (who rules the "Dragon Throne" - the British Empire is symbolized by dragons here), and "Mad King George" refers to none other than George III, who ruled in Bran's grandfather's time. Qin - pronounced "chin" - refers to China (that's the root of the modern English word). Yamato is an old name for Japan.
I noted some reviews complaining about grammar errors / typos. I've only noticed a few in the first couple hundred pages - I've seen plenty of books out of major publishing houses with more. It may be that an earlier version needed some copy-editing, but if so, this has been fixed.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Asian
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk
- Books > Teen & Young Adult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Asian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult