- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 7 hours and 4 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: November 10, 2015
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0163E1X48
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person Audiobook – Unabridged
|New from||Used from|
|Free with your Audible trial|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
1) First off, unlike a lot of authors, she did not pre-seed Amazon with preselected reviewers hitting up all 5 stars and offering formulaic praise. When I signed on this morning there were 3 reviews versus the 20-30 replicant reviews you often see when a new book is released. Why? Because she doesn't need forced praise. The book is good. Very good. And like Shonda herself, it doesn't need fabricated self promotion but can stand on it's own merits.
2) She's funny. Like laughing out loud in public funny. Like people changing seats on the bus because you're smiling and snickering to yourself funny. Like spitting up coffee and pastry on the Kindle screen funny. You get the point.
3) In addition to being funny, she's pitch perfect in her capacity to convey authenticity, vulnerability, and confidence all within the same paragraph.
4) She's also wicked smart and genuinely compassionate. Sadly those two traits sometimes don't travel in pairs.
5) Her year of living fearlessly by fully stepping into her life and saying YES inspires because it shows that even a Shonda Rhimes can suffer from the "Who Me?" disease that afflicts so many women. Granted, Shonda needed to say yes to things like hanging out with the Obama's or being honored as a Human Rights Boss, but she brilliantly shows that despite the loftiness of her life, like many of us she too struggled with stepping into her well earned right to "stand in the sun" without fear or apology.
6) And like a good and righteous Queen, she shares the glow. She has done more than any other TV writer in history to celebrate, and as she says normalize, ALL human experiences by merely allowing people of all orientations, races, and ethnicities to BE and To do and say human things on television. Radical inclusiveness...what a concept.
I could go on, but really just read the book. Worth every ducket.
Shonda Rimes is a wickedly talented writer (as if you didn't know that already; hell TGIT on ABC!) but with this book she truly comes alive. She shares many personal stories on how she went from declining every opportunity and invitation to saying yes to everything (and I mean everything) for a year. As a reader we see that her simple "yes" is changing her for the better. She becomes the woman she always wanted to be but for so long was afraid to commit to. Her 180 is so inspirational because I (as I'm sure most people do) believed she was living the greatest life ever (I mean she's Shonda Rimes!) but she goes into great detail of how that wasn't true (although now it is). I recommend this to anyone who wants to be both entertained by humorous stories and lead to a better tomorrow by reading them. This book provides insight, makes you question your own life and uplifts you in ways you didn't know were possible. A must read for anyone going through heartbreak, suffering from a lack of self-confidence, questioning their existence in the world, or simply doing so well that this book will only confirm that you've been on the right track the whole time.
Pick up this book and read it. You won't be disappointed. It's just too perfect. :)
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Actors & Entertainers
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Specific Groups > Women
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Adoption
- Books > Parenting & Relationships > Parenting > Single Parents
- Books > Self-Help > Success