Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 111 reviews
on February 3, 2013
I just got this CD and I didn't like it at first. But the more I listen the more it grows on me. This is unusual and a tiny disappointment because I have always loved all my Morrissey albums upon first play. Nevertheless, it is worth much more than the low price on Amazon.
I am fortunate to have just seen Morrissey in concert at a beautifully elegant venue, Heinz Hall, on January 21, 2013. The show was amazing and exceeded my expectations.
on June 26, 2013
Another amazing album complete with twelve strong tracks. An easy break-in, filled with songs that are easy to fall in love with, yet don't lose their luster over time. Indeed, Morrissey continues to impress me with his solo work. Could it be that he's getting better with age?

My favorite tracks include: "Something is squeezing my skull," "I'm throwing my arms around Paris," "All you need is me," "It's not your birthday anymore," and "I'm OK by myself."

I always enjoy the falsetto -- and kudos for the huge vocal range in "It's not your birthday anymore."

The cost/value of purchasing this on amazon was less than purchasing it on iTunes. Without a doubt, you should purchase this Morrissey album whether you are a fan or not. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find quality albums. A true pleasure!

This old Smith's fan could care less if the Smith's ever reunite. Morrissey is truly OK by himself.
on April 28, 2009
Yes, Morrissey is back. Still ignored and unloved. Still living life under a "black cloud." Still craving human touch. He's throwing his arms around Paris because "only stone and steel accept (his) love." Perhaps we should be bored of it all by now. But the voice is still there. And the drama. Nearly three decades into his stellar career, Morrissey is still miserable and the world is still a horrible place. "Why change now? It hasn't."

Standout new tracks: "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris," "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore," and "I'm OK By Myself." Plus the two excellent previously available songs: "All You Need Is Me" and "That's How People Grow Up."
on May 2, 2009
I remember when I heard my first track from The Smiths: the sly lyrics, the upbeat tempo and that voice! Morrissey since striking out on his solo career never seems to disappoint. Lyrics at once so current and emotions so real: real confusion, contempt and longing- I think he wrote the soundtrack to my life! This album is one his best by far, especially "Something is Squeezing My Skull" which is so darn bouncy that I found my self humming the tune for days after. Morrissey's music has always been in a class by itself, there is no sugary pop to be had- his lyrics are some of the smartest around and his so-called drama is relatable. Morrissey's 'miserablism' has never been more enjoyable!!!!
on March 26, 2010
Morrissey's "Years of Refusal" came at a right time for me. I've been enjoying it immensely.

I am an "old" fan, who went to my first Smith's concert when they came to California in 1986. I'm also a reader,a lover of classic and offbeat old film and literature, and other quirky voices Morrissey draws ideas from. Finally, I'm a lover of many kinds of music. Morrissey impresses me with his depth and breath over the years--from the gorgeous jangly sounds of Smith's and some post-Smith work, to the hopping rockabilly of his 1990's work and crunchy early-punk and glam sound of his current band. He gives us a range here, and still puts intelligence and emotion into the songs.

I miss here a really beautiful soft song like "Tomorrow," but he gives so many other vocal treats here I had much to be satisfied with. I've listened to this album a number of times now, and find different songs suit different moods. And I'm impressed by the range of songs reviewers have chosen to highlight as the "best" of the album. There is a lot here.

The soaring vocals of "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" was my first favorite on the album--evoking for me the despair and loneliness of Oscar Wilde at the end of his life (this brilliant, witty, warm man was utterly destroyed by the prison sentence in a work house, the repetitive walking on a treadmill, the lack of human companionship, the loss of his children--look at the pictures in Richard Ellmann's bio). I was sure this is what the song was about already, but now that I saw the video--with its references to The Picture of Dorian Gray--I'm sure that sadness is what the song evokes.

I also adore to big crunchy glam rock of the final song of the album "I'm OK by Myself." And the beginning of "That's How People Grow Up" with its operatic voice that fades into rollicking rock is fun. As the back of the disc cover tells us, this is one to play loud. These are big noisy and strong songs of survival. "As for me, I'm OK, for now anyway" Morrissey says. I always savor those dark zingers that this writer gives us.

As opposed to people who say this is more of the same Morrissey, I think it's a different Morrissey voice, one that is still developing and voicing the struggles of advancing adulthood. As an artist he is still creating. It's nice to grow older with him and still rock out. And when I long for the voice he gave me in the 1980s and 1990, I have his wide rich discography to turn back to.
on June 9, 2014
The album starts with a bang and goes from there. There is no filler on this one, every cut is great. What I found was that after years of not really noticing Morrissey (the Smiths were not one of my faves back in the day) was how much I had missed. This album ROCKS.
on February 2, 2015
Fantastic record. Bought it from Amazon a few months ago and finally got a chance to listen during a snow dat today. Features aggressive guitar sound, driving rhythms. Thumbs up.
on October 31, 2016
Pretty good material from the Moz....
on March 14, 2013
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell, but not now. I keep playing this CD over and over. It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, even if you are a "Moz fan" or just a passer by you will think this CD is a birthday gift to you from Morrissey.
on March 4, 2015
A very good comeback, rocker than ever, poppier than ever. The second of step of a new phase of Morrissey. The ninth album in a good shape. 12 great tracks