Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Old Yeller (Perennial Classics)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 14, 2002
I'm a 7th grade teacher and I introduced my students to this novel for the first time this year. To my amazement they had never even heard of OLD YELLER. Now, middle school students can be the toughest audience in the world but THEY LOVED THIS BOOK.
Author Fred Gipson perfectly captures the time period of Texas in the late 1800's and the challenges of daily life. Into the mix of chores and adventures on the farm is the universal bond of a boy and his dog. Travis and Old Yeller are two characters that any child will immediately connect with and grow to love. And naturally as many novels geared towards younger readers, the conclusion will remain with them long after the novel has been read.
On a side note I must also recommend the classic Walt Disney version of OLD YELLER (VHS or DVD). Young readers will enjoy the similarities and differences between novel and movie. It's an excellent example to build discussion or writing lessons involving comparisons or contrasts.
And while I have continually mentioned young readers I should also comment that OLD YELLER is a must-read for people of any age group. So the next time you need to be entertained by a great novel, pick up this classic.
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2000
This heart-warming book is about Old Yeller, (Which mean 'Yellow' in those days) a stray golden-brown dog which Travis' little brother (Little Arliss)finds. Travis hates the dog, who they named 'Old Yeller', until Old Yeller saves Travis' life. Soon they are best buddies, but the fate that is awaiting at the end brings them apart. This book is perfect for ages 7 and up, and is a terrific day-to-day read. This has 16 exciting chapters for either read aloud or silent reading. If your lookin' for a book to read, It's Old Yeller.
on March 16, 2007
Old Yeller is the beautiful, touching story of a boy and his big "yeller" dog.

When Travis's father goes on a cattle drive, Travis takes over the farm. He takes on a big task and is furious to find a big, one-eared, yellow dog eats thier meat, plays in their drinking water, and runs away when his family is in dire need of help. But Old Yeller proves himself when he saves Travis's litttle brother, Arliss, from a mad mother bear.

I loved reading Old Yeller because the story became real. I love dogs and it was amazing how detailed the story was. It was touching to read about how close Travis and Old Yeller were brought together.

Old Yeller is a classic novel everyone can read. Fred Gipson tells about the love and loyalty the characters possess for one another. I highly recommend this touching story that filled me with emotion and made my day forever.
on December 1, 2006
The story Old Yeller by Fred Gipson is a realistic fiction book. It tells about a fourteen year old boy named Travis who was left in charge of his family and the farm while his papa was away on a cattle drive. One day an old yeller dog shows up and steals some meat and wrecks the fence. At first Travis is ready to shoot the dog, but his little brother didn't let him. Travis really wanted a horse not a big ugly slick-haired yeller dog with a chewed off ear and a stub tail. Travis comes to love and depend on Old Yeller. They work together keeping up with the farm and watching out for raccoons in the corn patch. Old Yeller saves Travis from wild hogs. Can Travis do the same for his best friend? Read the story to find out.

I enjoyed reading this book and I recommend it to anyone who is a dog lover. Also, this story proves that a dog is a man's best friend. Finally, the book Old Yeller taught me a lesson that you shouldn't judge things by the way they look.
on January 9, 2002
What made me choose this book is the movie. I saw the movie and I really liked it so I thought the book would be good too.What I thought the book would be about is a boy and his dog doing things together like hunting. I felt sad for Old Yeller, Travis, Arliss, and Ma because of what happend. The book was what I expected it to be. I still feel the same about the book.
The main characters in the story are Old Yeller, Travis, Arliss, and Ma. It takes place in the late 1860's, in Birdsong Creek in the hills of Texas. When Pa goes away to Abline,Kansas to give cattle to the market for money, while Travis, Arliss and Ma are left to take care of things. One night this old yeller dog ate some meat of theirs and Travis got real mad at him. Little Arliss wanted to keep him and he got to because Travis had a dog when he was younger. One day when Arliss gets into a dangerous situtation with a bear Old Yeller saves him. After that Travis likes old Yeller better. Later they start doing things together and become best friends until one day changes it all. The type of book that this is is a historical fiction. These things could happen in real life but they didn't. The author of this book is Fred Gipson. I found the book exicting because of all the things that happen ,like the bear attack, and I found it sweet too because Old Yeller would do anything to help and protect the family. I would recomend the book to other readers because it's a good book. The age group that I think is approite for this book it ages eight and up. If you like exicting books this is the one for you!
on January 31, 2002
I just finished Fred Gipson's book Old Yeller, and it was excellent. I liked this book because it tells how Travis didn't like Old Yeller at first but then Old Yeller shows it was a good idea to keep him. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. If you read Hound Dog Man you will love this book. This is a great book, you can't wait to find out what happens next. I hope you will enjoy this book as much as I did. If you are looking for a good dog story, try old yeller.
on July 15, 2011
I am a grandmother of four who loves educational books that combine history with a great story. Old Yeller provides children with the insight of what it was like to live in the days of horse pulled wagons, early farming, and living in the wilderness. In addition, Old Yeller tells the story of a young boy meeting the challenge of taking on his fathers responsibilities while his father is away and about the dog who helps him. You may be searching for books that capture your children's attention because they do not like to read and you may also tend to seek books filled with sarcastic phrases, double meanings, slang, etc. to entice your non-reader into reading. Keep the faith! There are classic stories out there that also target these children and Old Yeller is one of them. This book is best enjoyed in a cozy surrounding, just you and the kids. Read the story to your children and have them return the favor. No gadget, computerized instrument, or cartooned book will ever replace a classic Like Old Yeller.
on November 22, 2015
I ordered this to clarify the difference between the version I read as a child and the movie. Sadly my version had a different, happier ending. This is a good story for older kids but I think it is too much for kids under 11. THe relationship between the boy and dog are well developed and show that we can love things that aren't perfect, and that heroes come in all shapes and sizes
on June 20, 2015
If you or your children have never read Old Yeller, you need to buy this book now and experience the love and devotion that pours over the pages of this book. It is a classic story and a beloved relationship. Nothing compares to stories that pull at your heart stings, leave a lump in your throat and help you remember how truly beautiful the human soul can be.
"We called him Old Yeller... I remember like yesterday how he strayed in out of nowhere to our log cabin on Birdsong Creek. He made me so mad at first that I wanted to kill him. Then, later, when I had to kill him, it was like having to shoot some of my own folks." (first page of the book)

i'm guessing most of you know this story but I was surprised to find out that the end was revealed in the second paragraph. (see above)

Now, I did not choose to read this book again. Reading it in my youth was enough for me. But, my son choose this book for his current reading assignment (classic novel) and we read together every night. I warned him that the story would be sad but he had his mind made up.

So, we read it and I was fine... up until the shooting part. After that, I couldn't hide my tears. Maybe if I wasn't reading aloud, but it was obvious. And, my son laughed. Then he took the book from me and read a page or two until I decided I could handle reading again... barely. A least my crying made the story less sad for him.

Recommended to:
People who want to cry... ;) No, seriously I think this book would be good for people who like to read about pioneer times or um... people who like to cry about animals.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse