Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Yellow Mountain Imports Magnetic Travel Chess Set
|Price:||$6.99 & FREE Shipping|
|You Save:||$3.11 (31%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- This perfectly sized travel chess set is small enough to travel with but large enough to play comfortably
- The board measures 9.7 x 9.7 x .95 inches (24.8 x 24.8 x 2.4 centimeters) when open
- Magnetic board and playing pieces allow for more ease of play and less disruptions in the game while playing on the go
- Complete set of playing pieces included; the queen measures 1.7 x .70 inches (4.3 x 1.8 centimeters)
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
At Yellow Mountain Imports, we offer the highest quality materials and attention to detail. This is one of the finest travel chess sets available on the market today.
Board: 9.7 x 9.7 x .95 inches (24.8 x 24.8 x 2.4 centimeters)
Queen: 1.7 x .70 inches (4.3 x 1.8 centimeters)
Yellow Mountain Imports Magnetic Travel Chess Set, 9.7 Inches
This is a perfectly sized travel chess set that is small enough to travel with but large enough to play comfortably.
The magnetic board and playing pieces allow for more ease of play and less disruptions in the game while playing on the go.
A complete set of playing pieces is included.
Safety WarningThis product contains small parts. Not for children under 3 years of age.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Small, lightweight and portable
It's fun to play with while on the go.
Magnets come off easily. When I opened the package I noted several pieces without magnets (magnets came off).
My suggested fix (use crazy glue):
1. Put chess pieces in Ziplock plastic bag
2. shake Ziplock plastic bag with all the pieces vigorously
3. check for pieces with missing magnets
4. use glue (crazy glue or gorilla glue) to attach magnet back into piece
- Silver and Gold are very distinct colors. Other reviews mention they are not. Maybe the set has changed. But mine is just like the photo. Very Silver and very Gold in pretty much any light.
- Magnets strength is sufficient for car use and uneven surfaces. Not super strong magnets, but I can hold the set upside down and the pieces stay in place. Sure, they will fall if I shake the board. But I wasn't expecting super magnets. This balance of magnet strength also feels nice when moving the pieces. If they were any stronger, you would be lifting the board and need to hold the board down. I find the magnet strength just right.
- Cheap China product. Yet this is exactly how the price is kept low and that makes it a good value. The thin edge around the board will be prone to snap at the corners. This doesn't affect the playing area. I actually wish those corners were rounded. Only one corner has snapped so far.
- Doesn't really stay closed reliably. So we store it in the box it came with. To avoid this, I recommend a simple rubber band. Problem solved. So not much of a con here either.
- Good portable size. But some people may find a 9.7" board on the small side.
At the price, size, and features; this is a great set. Especially if you are not sure the recipient will even like Chess. If you love Chess and want to spend a lot more money, there are plenty of better sets. The value of this set worked perfectly for me and my kids.
I bought it for my child as a travel and 'school-lunch break' set. After 7 months of moderate usage (a few hours a week), it is holding just fine.
It does what it was meant to do: be a small but playable inexpensive chess set, with coordinates, that will travel and that will not cause a heartache if lost, destroyed or stolen. The magnets are strong enough to prevent the pieces from falling due to a gentle shaking or movement but they do not exactly cling to the board.
One little note: although the set has always been kept protected in its packaging box when not in use (obvious), the metal sheet slightly detached in the middle of the board and created a little bump that can't be easily flattened. I guess that too many pawn battles may have taken place in the center squares! While the deformation is not exactly aesthetically pleasing, it does not hinder the game play.
I suggest that you keep the pieces in a ziploc bag. My child suggest including two extra queens ;) - it would be perfect! He also occasionally uses it as an analysis board.
I would buy it again.
Now if you want a fancy looking set then why are you looking at a cheapo 12$? dollar set? I knew what I was paying for and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as people made it sound.