Hill Climb Racing 2 BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 3, 2011
This is a great book for anyone wanting to learn or do Yin Yoga. The poses are usually held a little longer making it a slower paced yoga but it has many benefits and feels great on your body! The book explains Yin Yoga practice and has a lot of great information. There are sample routines to help get you started! Each pose has photos that show you how to do the pose as well as a description that is very easy to understand and explains how to carry out the pose. Yin Yoga is a very relaxing yoga practice that can work wonders on your body that I would recommend to anyone. I enjoy running and find that using the poses in this book help to loosen up my tight legs and keep me more flexible improving my running. My husband struggles with sciatica pain and has found that practicing the poses in this book really help lessen his pain due to this. It is also a great stress release!
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2006
This is a good book. I will probably refer to it for years to come! It contains a wealth of information, and is helping me to rethink my practice. After so long following athletic yoga DVDs, flinging myself between postures, it is indescribably pleasant to sink into poses for 5 minutes at a time, with no pressure to hurry. If that sounds good to you, then you'll want to read this book.

This book has many sections, including an introduction, some information on chi meridians and chakras, theory and basic anatomy of yin yoga, yin yoga posture instruction with photos, and more! The layout and colors are clean and attractive, and the photos of the poses are clear and helpful. Paul Grilley is very good at explaining where you should feel each pose, and what to expect if you do different variations. Most yoga instruction I've encountered hasn't mentioned that kind of stuff. Make sure you read the theory part before you go to the poses. Some of the most important information is in there--really!

But I have to be honest: This book has a lot of shortcomings, mostly in the format of the book itself. The table of contents doesn't list each pose individually, so if you want a certain pose, you have to flip through the whole pose section to find it. The book gives three or so sequences that you can use as-is or modify, each with a different focus (e.g.: a practice for stretching hip and leg muscles)--that's awesome! But, the poses skip all over the book, so you have to continually flip through to find each one--not awesome! Also, it would be invaluable if this book had a binding that allowed it to lay flat. I think I might add tabs to the book so I can flip to the poses more easily, but I don't know how to make it stay open.

I wouldn't recommend this book to most beginners. There aren't a lot of alignment cues for the individual poses (although, to be fair, that is a bonus in some ways, because different people's bodies need different alignment), so if you don't have any foundation in alignment for yoga, and/or you don't have familiarity with telling apart "good pain" from "bad pain," you could hurt yourself. Grilley does talk about listening to your body and not overdoing it, which is good, but how do you know whether you're overdoing it or not, if this is all new to you? I could be wrong--check it out for yourself!

Aside from those relatively minor issues, I really like this book. It is useful and informative enough to justify rigging it up for use on the mat :) It's already taught me some tricks to get deeper into poses. If this book comes out with a spiral binding and tabs, I'll give it 5 stars and buy copies for my (non-beginner) friends!
on August 21, 2009
This book totally cured me of "Not Doing Any Exercise Ever." I have always been drawn to Yoga but I have never wanted to do it in a big room with other people and little mats.
While most "Yoga Guide" type books I looked at seemed to make some big assumptions as to my religious alignment or my knowledge of the practice,this book has easy to interpret descriptions of a bunch of positions as well as some fairly "non-hippie-dippy" interpretations of what they can do for you. Several pages of coherent "sample routines" put the positions into a sequence that I could easily put into effect.

Now I can do a little work on flexibility and strength any time I find a shady place in the grass or a space on my own floor. Best of all, I can do it myself.
This book is very simple and includes photographs of the different postures and a few sample routines. Very easy reading and will get you going with Yin Yoga

In Yin Yoga you hold the postures for quite a long time and this has a transforming affect on your body. As opposed to Yang style yoga where you engage all your muscle and stretch for shorter periods of time, Yin Yoga works on your connective tissue and will increase the flow of Chi within your body.

Yin Yoga has changed my life and I live pretty much pain free due to the effects of practicing just about every day. You must get Paul Grilley's DVD entitled Yin Yoga. It is a lovely compliment to his book.

Please check my other Yoga reviews on Amazon.
on July 5, 2009
Yin yoga has been a wonderful addition to my practice. Our western lives are so yang-based and it feels so good to give your body permission to hold these poses for 3-5 minutes each...like a series of mini-meditations. This book is very helpful, including instructions on how to get into the poses as well as suggested sequences. I would highly recommend this book to anyone beginning a yin practice.

This book includes a large number of poses (plenty for anyone beginning their yin practice), however, it does not include all yin posees I have seen described in other sources. It hits all of the main ones and then some, though.
on January 15, 2013
This is a simple way to start your day right. I have learned that it is not just the muscle, tendons, etc., but the connective tissue that cause pain and injury. These poses start with a cold body (muscles not warmed up yet). I relax into each pose for 3-5 minutes. These simple poses help me to scan my body and release tightness easier than exercising and/or strenuous stretching. Use this tiny book if you don't have the time or money for massage therapy or yoga practice on a regular basis.
on January 17, 2003
I took a Yin Yoga workshop from Sarah Powers and that's how I came to connect with Paul Grilley's book. I use this in my yoga classes and after spending the summer working on my "yin" yoga I have noticed a marked increase in my flexibility. This book is full of very valuable information. Paul covers all the bases! I have a number of students wanting to purchase this book. You won't be disappointed with this book. You can read it ina couple of hours but will find you keep refering back to it because there is so much information in it.
on May 11, 2015
While I had taken a short training on Yin Yoga, Paul's simple teaching style helped me create class outlines of my own rather than following someone else's curriculum. Wonderful book!
on March 10, 2017
Fantastic book!
on November 30, 2016
I love Yin and he writes about it beautifully