Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Inspired by Bach (Deluxe Slipcase)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on June 10, 2005
This extaordinary 3 DVD set presents Yo-Yo Ma in six films inspired by J.S. Bach. Along with T.Bando(Kabuki actor), J.M. Messervy (Garden designer), Mark Morris, (dance choreographer) J.Torvill & C. Dean (ice dancers), A. Egoyan and other film makers, Yo-Yo Ma explores the passion of Bach's solo Cello Suites.

Music Garden follows Ma and Garden Designer Messervy as they plan a Boston garden inspired by Bach. Sound of the Carceri shows Ma exploring with music, the prison etchings of the famous Italian architect, Piranesi.

In Struggle for Hope, Ma collaborates with Kabuki actor Banbo to blend Kabuki and Bach's Fifth Suite. Six Gestures features ice dancers Torvill and Dean and, of course, Bach and Yo-Yo Ma.

In Falling Down Stairs Mark Morris choreographs a dance based on Bach's Third Suite. Sarabande, my favorite, displays Yo-Yo Ma at his best as he performs Bach's Fourth Suite.

This incredible collection of DVDs features the renowned cellist as he performs Bach in unique and innovative ways. I am reminded of G. Gould and his interpretation of Bach and am astounded how each injects his own philosophy and passion into these pieces.
on July 5, 2007
This is an example of the transcendency of J. S. Bach. I have read various critical reviews of this DVD and actually agree with some of what is said. Truly I did not know what I was purchasing--actually thougth it was all Yo Yo and Bach, but it is more like a documentary. Fortunately there are intact performances of each suite contained in this lengthy DVD. The menu screen is very confusing and difficult to navigate--that is the only negative I find. Otherwise I see no harm, and only inspiration in comparing and performing Bach's music to our surroundings, architecture, and the visual arts. Yes, Yo Yo could have used other examples for comparison, but I do not disagree with the validity of what is stated--some reviewers have called his integrations random, I respectfully disagree.
The perfomances are clean and there are obvious changes of scenery during certain perfomances that required dubbing. This was done flawlessly and with taste. Overall this was fun and transcendent. I suggest listening to other artists perform these suites. Casals, Rostropovich, and Lynn Harrell all have recordings, and each are different.
on May 20, 2013
These are a great series of short films in which Yo-Yo Ma collaborates with different kinds of artists to make work to the 6 Bach Cello Suites. My favorite has to be # 5, a collaboration with a famous Kabuki artist. And #2 with the Mark Morris Dance Group is not to be missed either. Great for any fan of Bach, Yo-Yo Ma, or great artistic collaborations!
on January 14, 2007
This series has great subtle humor mixed with beautiful music played wonderfully by Yo-Yo Ma. I've never known much about Yo-Yo Ma but after watching this series I've decided that he's probably a really cool guy! :)
on September 13, 2009
6 short movies by different film makers each corresponding to 1 of the 6 suites. I loved hearing the cello suites (I had not listened to them all before), although each was separated into the different parts/dances and there is dialogue or other items interspersed between them. I will probably buy the CDs some time. I found the direction the movies/projects took very diverse and interesting, and there was one I did not particularly like. I found the sound of the dialogue in the 5th movie a little too quiet, but that may be deliberate as it has a very visual theme. The 6th with Torvill and Dean is simply stunning. Yo-Yo comes across as such a deep person as well as a musical genius. I am very glad I bought these, and I will be watching them over again... There is some CD-ROM content on the discs which is OK, but to me it was a minor addition - the different interpretations of the suites put into film is fascinating.
on July 19, 2008
My wife first saw this series on TV and loved it, subsequently I bought the DVD series so our whole family could watch it together. It's really a well made series.
on June 14, 2016
The idea of creating six films around the suites seemed dubious to begin with--in fact, they are absurd and a disaster. Yo-Yo Ma reached a new peak of self-indulgence here.
on July 30, 2013
This set of DVDs replaces the Over-the-Air broadcast VHS tapes I made on my home VCR recorder. It is excellent quality and the DVD convenience is the best feature for repeating segments for my cello students.
on February 7, 2013
Breath taking music blended with visual compositions. Mesmerizing. I saw this on the BBC many years ago and am thrilled I can watch it over and over again now.
on June 16, 2014
This DVD gives you the beautiful music, something visual to enjoy and some historical background on J S Bach and on the performers.